Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Cork is set to gain a €9.5m hotel and a new hotel brand known as “REZz” when the city’s first micro-sleeper opens its doors in May.

REZz Cork, located on the site of the former Windsor Inn on the corner of MacCurtain St and York St, will have 72 bedrooms and a penthouse on the top floor, with the cost of an overnight starting at €69.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40224368.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cork is set to gain a €9.5m hotel and a new hotel brand known as “REZz” when the city’s first micro-sleeper opens its doors in May.

REZz Cork, located on the site of the former Windsor Inn on the corner of MacCurtain St and York St, will have 72 bedrooms and a penthouse on the top floor, with the cost of an overnight starting at €69.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40224368.html

"This hotel follows the micro-model, with substantially smaller, well-planned, really cute, ergonomically-efficient rooms."

Bollocks.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Bollocks.

Probably won't be much room for luggage etc but it'll suit/appeal to lots of folk.........

"Rooms will come with a neat ensuite, king-size bed, power shower, high-speed wifi and 42in flat screens"

That would appeal to plenty couples for €69.

Augeo wrote: »
    Probably won't be much room for luggage etc but it'll suit/appeal to lots of folk.........

"Rooms will come with a neat ensuite, king-size bed, power shower, high-speed wifi and 42in flat screens"

That would appeal to plenty couples for €69.

I don't think that is the €69 option.

I stayed in nice hotels for under €20 with decent facilities.

This seems like a racket.

I don't think that is the €69 option.

Fair enough but the article says "prices across all rooms, which range in size from 10sq m to 20sq m, will be “well under €100”, with the exception of the penthouse which has two bedrooms and a lounge"

This seems like a racket.

Is paying €200+ for a larger room in The River Lee or whatever the Clarion is now called any less of a racket?
    I stayed in nice hotels for under €20 with decent facilities.

No doubt, if you put that budget into booking.com for much of Western Europe the results won't be extensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

"This hotel follows the micro-model, with substantially smaller, well-planned, really cute, ergonomically-efficient rooms."

Bollocks.

Not for you? Don't worry, nobody is forcing you to stay there.

Most people reading this thread won't be staying there anyway as they probably already live in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Looks grand to me, stayed in a hotel like that slightly bigger when I was on work travel last year, it had a bed, 42 inch tv that I could stream to from my phone or laptop, small table that I could eat on and small place to put my bag,

I was delighted with and I think was 79 euros a night,

For business travel or night on the piss these hotels are perfect if we ever get back to normal

Also 20 square m room that would be a suite in Japan ha, my room in Japan I had to put my bags under the bed as there was no were for them and I had a deluxe room !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bollocks.

Looks more grim than "cute". Like a hotel set in a dystopian future...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've stayed in hotels like this in Glasgow and Dublin. Typical the bed and linen arr really good quality and very good tvs, too. Small, comfortable, cheap. They're not for everyone. But if all you are doing in your hotel room is sleeping, showering and a bit of TV, they're grand.
    Much better than what you'd get in a traditional hotel for the same money, imo.

Spotlessly clean, modern, comfortable, decent wifi, great shower as opposed a cheap hotel that's usually a bit grotty, sometimes doesn't smell so good, wifi is usually rubbish, poor soundproofing, tiny TV too far away, old soft bed, crappy shower .
    I happily sacrifice a bit of space.

Fair enough but the article says "prices across all rooms, which range in size from 10sq m to 20sq m, will be “well under €100”, with the exception of the penthouse which has two bedrooms and a lounge"

Is paying €200+ for a larger room in The River Lee or whatever the Clarion is now called any less of a racket?

No doubt, if you put that budget into booking.com for much of Western Europe the results won't be extensive.

I meant to say hostel. Dorm style.
    But very good and the people were lovely. Would happily do again.

This was in Galway. Eglinton Street I think it was.

I think I'm just put off by the marketing lingo, and €70 is a lot to pay for a budget stayover.

• Advertisement

I've stayed in hotels like this in Glasgow and Dublin. Typical the bed and linen arr really good quality and very good tvs, too. Small, comfortable, cheap. They're not for everyone. But if all you are doing in your hotel room is sleeping, showering and a bit of TV, they're grand.

Spotlessly clean, modern, comfortable, decent wifi, great shower as opposed a cheap hotel that's usually a bit grotty, sometimes doesn't smell so good, wifi is usually rubbish, poor soundproofing, tiny TV too far away, old soft bed, crappy shower .

Nice. What kind of rates where they charging?

I find most hotels horrible. I had to stay in some more mid level ones for work, and I found them soulless.

I meant to say hostel. Dorm style.
    But very good and the people were lovely. Would happily do again.

This was in Galway. Eglinton Street I think it was.

I think I'm just put off by the marketing lingo, and €70 is a lot to pay for a budget stayover.

Right, dorm accommodation can't be compared to private IMO. You can't pick the people mostly in hostels.

Nice. What kind of rates where they charging?

As I remember they are at the lower end for hotels in a given city - not super cheap or anything but more comfortable, for me, than a cheap hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Yep I stayed in one in London for a night when I had a stopover at the start of last year. I just wanted somewhere cheap, central, clean and comfortable where I could have a shower and get a bit of sleep. It did the job perfectly. I wasn't too worried about the "soul" or "character" of the hotel to be honest. At the same time I wouldn't be staying there on my honeymoon, or even for a weekend away but I wasn't in London for that purpose.

Right, dorm accommodation can't be compared to private IMO. You can't pick the people mostly in hostels.

Very true. Apologies for the vital misleading typo, I post on my phone.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Yep I stayed in one in London for a night when I had a stopover at the start of last year. I just wanted somewhere cheap, central, clean and comfortable where I could have a shower and get a bit of sleep. It did the job perfectly. I wasn't too worried about the "soul" or "character" of the hotel to be honest. At the same time I wouldn't be staying there on my honeymoon, or even for a weekend away but I wasn't in London for that purpose.

Would love to know more about it. I try to do holidays on a shoestring, so just looking for clean and secure. Especially in London.

(sorry, I'm getting way off topic)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Would love to know more about it. I try to do holidays on a shoestring, so just looking for clean and secure. Especially in London.

(sorry, I'm getting way off topic)

I always go for a Premier Inn in London. They're nothing too fancy but they do they do clean and secure very well.

Passed the rotisserie place, Masseytown again.
    They've started their savoury offerings but, strangely, they have a menu board but no prices displayed, still.

I'm thinking that this must be policy, rather than oversight but I can't understand why an everyday food business would do this. Anyone any idea why they might do this?

Good smells, and it seemed fairly busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

They've started their savoury offerings but, strangely, they have a menu board but no prices displayed, still.

I'm thinking that this must be policy, rather than oversight but I can't understand why an everyday food business would do this. Anyone any idea why they might do this?

Surely there is a requirement to have prices displayed?

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Surely there is a requirement to have prices displayed?

I would have thought so. It's very odd, I think.
    They've been trading for weeks, now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hope there were masks being worn this time!

leahyl wrote: »
    Hope there were masks being worn this time!

Let's say things appear to have improved on that front,somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

For spanking, brand new, city center. en-suite hotel room I'm wondering what year or planet you are living in?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mr.oiseau

How much is a sandwich do you know? Just looked them up and it looks unreal!

It certainly looks good. I must have a look at their Instagram, hope he gets the pricing right.

Anything over the €10 mark I think will not sell, even if it is amazing.

Just because it is in bread, and therefore a sandwich.

I'm sure if it's served with rice or mash, people would pay more, because then that's a meal.

mr.oiseau wrote: »
    How much is a sandwich do you know? Just looked them up and it looks unreal!

I'd love to know but I wasn't going to quiz them on their prices as I wasn't in the market for a sandwich at the time.
    It could be a great concept. The smells are enticing. I have no doubt they'll develop how they sell themselves

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    The rye bread in Pana, Merchant's Quay is sensational!

Where has this bread been all my life!
    It's gorgeous. I've bought it 3 times in the last week. You can get a 1/4 loaf for €2. It's rich but not super dense and heavy like some rye breads.

Strangely, if you freeze it sliced, it's next to impossible to separate the slices again, even when defrosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mr.oiseau

I'd love to know but I wasn't going to quiz them on their prices as I wasn't in the market for a sandwich at the time.
    It could be a great concept. The smells are enticing. I have no doubt they'll develop how they sell themselves

I got 2 rolls for e15. A nice treat and they have a real USP. Visually the place is beautiful and the grub matches. Fair play to then

mr.oiseau wrote: »
    I got 2 rolls for e15. A nice treat and they have a real USP. Visually the place is beautiful and the grub matches. Fair play to then

Did you haggle?

If no prices displayed, they must be going with a haggling model!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was talking to the guy last week as I was passing he said around 8 euro for a sandwich he said. That's a good value for the quality.

Advertisement