Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mr.oiseau

Did you haggle?

If no prices displayed, they must be going with a haggling model!

No, I had the wagu beef. Didn't see haggle on the menu ;)

Ah I knew going in it could be up to ten quid so I didn't even ask the price before ordering. It looks class - shag all seating for when things open up but he'll have the outside seating i guess. Best of luck to them - beats the other fads we saw pedalled the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mr.oiseau wrote: »
    No, I had the wagu beef. Didn't see haggle on the menu ;)

Ah I knew going in it could be up to ten quid so I didn't even ask the price before ordering. It looks class - shag all seating for when things open up but he'll have the outside seating i guess. Best of luck to them - beats the other fads we saw pedalled the last few years

Indeed.
    Really, it's weird that something like this hasn't been around Cork all along. I think it will do well.
    I think just some counter seating would be good when things open up. I don't think it wants to be, nor should it be a restaurant/café. I imagine most of their business will be takeaway with high turnover of a handful of people munching at counters.
    You don't want people hanging around for 45 minutes over a sandwich and a coffee,I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

mr.oiseau wrote: »
    How much is a sandwich do you know? Just looked them up and it looks unreal!

Sambo and tea for 9.5. Asked for a chicken and stuffing. Double checked that it was indeed a chicken and stuffing. Rolls are unmarked and the staff don’t have a clue. Went back to office and it was a chicken and avocado. Which I don’t eat. Just be weary of them being unmarked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

unplayable wrote: »
    Sambo and tea for 9.5. Asked for a chicken and stuffing. Double checked that it was indeed a chicken and stuffing. Rolls are unmarked and the staff don’t have a clue. Went back to office and it was a chicken and avocado. Which I don’t eat. Just be weary of them being unmarked.

That's a bit silly not to mark what's in them....did you go back to them about it?

leahyl wrote: »
    That's a bit silly not to mark what's in them....did you go back to them about it?

It's kinda weird. They have a really good idea but they seem to be missing out or really basic stuff like menus, labels and pricing. This is the stuff that's pretty easy to get right.

• Advertisement

It's kinda weird. They have a really good idea but they seem to be missing out or really basic stuff like menus, labels and pricing. This is the stuff that's pretty easy to get right.

One of my biggest pet peeves is not having the price visible - whether it's a restaurant or a supermarket or a shop - whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

i sent them a message about it. no pricing either. its expensive for what it is imo. they are making a few very avoidable mistakes as have been pointed out here.

i sent them a message about it. no pricing either. its expensive for what it is imo. they are making a few very avoidable mistakes as have been pointed out here.

Yeah tbh I was a bit shocked when I read the sandwiches are 8.00 - I mean I’m sure it’s good ingredients but for what is essentially a takeaway sandwich? It must be huge! I wouldn’t be going very often with those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Displaying prices is a law, so they won't be able to continue doing that for long.

I don't suppose anyone has heard anything further about Screwfix opening in Cork. They had job advertisements before Christmas, but nothing since. I know the rest of their stores and online sales has had an impact from brexit, so I wonder have they reconsidered opening in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Prices wouldnt put me off to be honest. Locally sourced meat, etc you have to pay for something thats not ordered from pallas food
    I'd die for the crackling I've seen in the pictures!
    Think I'll go in later on in the week and give it a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yeah tbh I was a bit shocked when I read the sandwiches are 8.00 - I mean I’m sure it’s good ingredients but for what is essentially a takeaway sandwich? It must be huge! I wouldn’t be going very often with those prices.

A decent takeaway sandwich from a cafe in the city centre is anywhere from 6.00 to 7.50, for what your getting it sounds good to me.

rob316 wrote: »
    A decent takeaway sandwich from a cafe in the city centre is anywhere from 6.00 to 7.50, for what your getting it sounds good to me.

But what are you getting? Is it particularly big? I guess it's cos they are cooking the meat? Fair enough, but it's not something I would be getting on a regular basis if I worked in town. 6e would be 2e cheaper than what they are charging - a pretty significant difference. I must say I haven't seen takeaway sandwiches for any dearer than 6/6.50e, but then I haven't eaten in town for quite a while :D

Having said all that, I look forward to trying their sandwiches!

Some of their set-up seems totally looney considering the lad running it is an ex financial services high flyer and his partner is also working on the project also. Two very capable and committed people from what was detailed in an article I read.

Well I just went in town for a few rolls from masseytown for me and the lads in the office. Absolutely phenomenal.

All rolls are €7.50 and they are a fine size with I'm happy to report full of meat. We halved up the rolls and all had a sample of each. Roast pork, roast ham and roast chicken. I thought the roast pork was the pick - crackling pork, mayo, red onion, peppers and chutney.

Well done to them, something really simple but different.

rob316 wrote: »
    Well I just went in town for a few rolls from masseytown for me and the lads in the office. Absolutely phenomenal.

All rolls are €7.50 and they are a fine size with I'm happy to report full of meat. We halved up the rolls and all had a sample of each. Roast pork, roast ham and roast chicken. I thought the roast pork was the pick - crackling pork, mayo, red onion, peppers and chutney.

Well done to them, something really simple but different.

Fair enough, sounds good! I look forward to trying for a treat once restrictions are eased :) Making me hungry now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Augeo wrote: »
    Some of their set-up seems totally looney considering the lad running it is an ex financial services high flyer and his partner is also working on the project also. Two very capable and committed people from what was detailed in an article I read.

Fair play to them and looking forward to trying but not sure why any article i've read mentions that he's an ex stock broker, like does that really matter if he's selling sandwiches? I suppose it's all about the blurb these days but the fact that he's an ex stock broker doesn't really entice me to go there. Same with rebel coffee down the street, article mentions he's ex construction in NY.

Feeds into the "do your thing" horsesh1t folk love to read I suppose.

I don't like the branding or the look of Rebel Coffee, at all.
    Can't comment on the coffee or service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Wasn't expecting to see this South African speciality appearing in Cork.

Bunny Chow hits Cork as Leeside's smallest takeaway opens at landmark kiosk

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

opus wrote: »

It's a curry inside a hollowed out loaf of bread for €15.50?
    Will this really sell?

• Advertisement

You'd imagine the overheads aren't huge anyway. Seems pricey but likely a decent feed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I had to google Bunny Chow.

What an odd idea!
    Are you supposed to eat all the bread as well?

If folk leave the bread out for the birds there might be some badly spattered cars about...

In Budapest they do this with the goulash, a bread cob hollowed out and filled. 15.50 sounds a crazy price though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I had to google Bunny Chow.

What an odd idea!
    Are you supposed to eat all the bread as well?

I've had it in Durban as was told something you should try, it's pretty much what it says on the tin :) Personally I skipped eating all the bread. Not something I'd consider having as a takeaway tbh as could be very messy.

I hope they're only half serious about this and not putting serious money into it.
    I'd happily be proven wrong but it sounds like an ill thought out gimmick. I wish them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

opus wrote: »

Dunno about value, but that does look tasty!

Eating from an "edible bowl" seems messy though. Also, does he prepare the food inside that booth? Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Sisters ex boyfriend who was from South Africa and was from Durban used to love when his grandmother used make him Bunny Chow !!! It looks better then in person then in a photo !!!!

It’s in a location for me that I can’t get to easily but I would love to try it !!!!

Fair play to people takeing risks opening bussiness now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's a curry inside a hollowed out loaf of bread for €15.50?
    Will this really sell?

€15.50? Would you f off for yourself.
    Crazy.

• Advertisement

I hope they're only half serious about this and not putting serious money into it.
    I'd happily be proven wrong but it sounds like an ill thought out gimmick. I wish them well.

It sounds like the cafe might be the kitchen for this and the little booth the serving point........... "Capetown-raised Chris is now a native of St Luke's and says he is just thrilled to have the chance, with the help of Ruth from the much-loved Rant coffee shop on the Cross, to bring the old booth back to life"

Pots of curry kept warm in the booth and some storage for the bread loaves........ can't see it being madly expensive to set up tbh.

Advertisement