Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In my on-going obsession with how Masseytown are selling themselves, I notice that they now have a small,floor standing menu board with the sandwich choices on it. It's pretty badly done - the writing for each option gets smaller as room runs out on the board and things are shoehorned to fit- it looks really amateurish. And guess what?
    No prices.

I just find it bizarre. They have an excellent, simple concept. The premises looks great. The smells are great. I'm told that the food is very good.
    So why can't they have a clear, well laid out, large menu with prices on it?

The way they wrap the takeaway sandwich with a bit of twine is quite nice also, saw it on someone's Instagram.

Sandwich options listed as you describe sounds fairly not right to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

In my on-going obsession with how Masseytown are selling themselves, I notice that they now have a small,floor standing menu board with the sandwich choices on it. It's pretty badly done - the writing for each option gets smaller as room runs out on the board and things are shoehorned to fit- it looks really amateurish. And guess what?
    No prices.

I just find it bizarre. They have an excellent, simple concept. The premises looks great. The smells are great. I'm told that the food is very good.

Have you mentioned it to them? You'd think at this stage somebody would have anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

To be honest, your man seems a nice guy but he doesn't have much grasp of running it. I was in there last weekend again, got the pork again and I waited for a hot roll and it was even better but it was chaos from a service point of view. Too much talking with the people he knew and not moving the food out fast enough.

leahyl wrote: »
    Have you mentioned it to them? You'd think at this stage somebody would have anyway.

No, I haven't been a customer yet.

I don't think they'd appreciate a randomer from the street coming in telling them their business!

As long as they refrain from putting up prices, I most likely won't be a customer, unless curiosity gets the better of me.

But, yes, how come no one has pointed out that they should have a proper menu with prices?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Perhaps the no price displaying is by design? To make people come in and ask, then you're more likely to make a sale?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Perhaps the no price displaying is by design? To make people come in and ask, then you're more likely to make a sale?

I think it has to be.
    Not a wise (or legal? I'm not sure) tactic, imo.

However, they could have a clear, decent menu without prices if they wanted.

I think it has to be.
    Not a wise (or legal? I'm not sure) tactic, imo.

However, they could have a clear, decent menu without prices if they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

No, I haven't been a customer yet.

I don't think they'd appreciate a randomer from the street coming in telling them their business!

As long as they refrain from putting up prices, I most likely won't be a customer, unless curiosity gets the better of me.

But, yes, how come no one has pointed out that they should have a proper menu with prices?

Well, you could be just enquiring before you buy for all they know - no harm in asking.

I'm not sure of the merits of such a strategy.
    Lots of folk won't ask the price after approaching as it might be a tad awkward not purchasing, there's no need for the awkwardness of course but I'd be a bit like that myself. Many folk appreciate 100% transparency on menus ........ it's why the price is on all menus really I suppose.
    It's not so long ago O Brien's sandwich bars were fairly highly priced on some items so folk might well be thinking if the prices aren't on display this won't be cheap/reasonable/the norm.

Now to be fair from what folk have said in here the prices seem nothing but good value. All the more reason to display them IMO.

• Advertisement

The only other business I recall with a policy like this is Rising Sons. They don't (or didn't) put up their beer prices on the menu boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Anybody know what's the plan for the old Permanent TSB branch on North Main St? I walk past there most days & see a lot of interior work going on. Thought it was only vital building work allowed during the lockdown :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

opus wrote: »
    Wasn't expecting to see this South African speciality appearing in Cork.

Bunny Chow hits Cork as Leeside's smallest takeaway opens at landmark kiosk
    God, opening that Cork beo website hurts my eyes:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

rob316 wrote: »
    To be honest, your man seems a nice guy but he doesn't have much grasp of running it. I was in there last weekend again, got the pork again and I waited for a hot roll and it was even better but it was chaos from a service point of view. Too much talking with the people he knew and not moving the food out fast enough.

have been there twice for lunch. they have no clue how to run it but food is excellent. hopefully he gets some good staff in quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

The Covid lockdown has unearthed quite a few idle minds, this prolonged discussion is ‘ much ado about nothing’!! Sorry ......

normanbond wrote: »
    The Covid lockdown has unearthed quite a few idle minds, this prolonged discussion is ‘ much ado about nothing’!! Sorry ......

Thank you for your input.

The Roundy is for sale.
    Does that mean that its current incarnation is gone for good or just a change of ownership of the property?

https://twitter.com/echolivecork/status/1364952176251011085?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The Roundy is for sale.
    Does that mean that its current incarnation is gone for good or just a change of ownership of the property?

Trading as The Roundy for the past 20 years, the annual rent is €67,600pa with the lease due to expire in May 2026. The lease allows for five-yearly rent reviews with the next rent review due in May 2021.

It is understood the current tenants will not be affected by the sale and due to Covid-19 the full rent amount is not being received.

Pen Rua wrote: »

Always helps to read the article to the end! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

No prices.

It amazes me how many decent ventures/businesses are clearly doomed because of a basic lack of cop on.

If a punter off the street can see something that the owner can't then they're goosed IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

rob316 wrote: »

This is slowly devolving into the Masseytown thread :D. But I didn't find this comment to be consistent with when I tried it a good number of weeks back. Guy was super friendly and chatty, and that might be fine in a sit down place where there's other staff / waiters but not in a city centre takeaway.

Best of luck to him and all, but I hope he identifies (or is told) the flaws shared here and works to improve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

Had some great nights in the Roundy, prior to the lockdown it looked like it needed a bit of a tidy up or revamp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The Roundy is for sale.

Says current tenants not affected so looks like just building owner

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

why can't they have a clear, well laid out, large menu with prices on it?
    I looked up the website to find out where it is. No mention whatsoever! Not even when you click on 'visit us'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

This is slowly devolving into the Masseytown thread :D. But I didn't find this comment to be consistent with when I tried it a good number of weeks back. Guy was super friendly and chatty, and that might be fine in a sit down place where there's other staff / waiters but not in a city centre takeaway.

Just to keep the Masseytown saga going, I walked past early this morning & this is the menu board (sans prices).

545134.jpg

Just to keep the Masseytown saga going, I walked past early this morning & this is the menu board (sans prices).

Progress!
    That's a big improvement on the previous board.
    I wonder how long he'll hold out on the pricing?
    I'd also love to know the reasoning behind it.
    I'm sure it puts more people than me off!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

545134.jpg

hipster heaven

hipster heaven

Is that a good thing or a bad thing in your opinion, and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

I presume the advertised sandwiches are all cold, pre-prepared options. Can you order hot sandwiches as well? And is it just luck of the draw what meat is available at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Disappointed that avocado is spelt wrong 😂

Advertisement