Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I really wouldn’t be happy with the cash situation. Imagine the amount of hand to hand contact. No call for that in a pandemic.

Indeed. Contactless is the only way now IMO. Businesses not wanting payment that way don't get my custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

rob316 wrote: »
    If your not taking card your on the game simple as. Sumup machine can be set up in 5 mins and works off a mobile phone.

Have to agree. My wife (in the before times) did a bit of work for herself, and she had a sumup to take payment. She's upgraded to online payments since. If she can do it, anyone can. If you don't, the only excuse that makes sense to me is you want to avoid paying Mr. Taxman.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed. Contactless is the only way now IMO. Businesses not wanting payment that way don't get my custom.

At this stage, the onus must be on the business to accept card. If they can't do that then they shouldn't be able to demand payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No one has cash now and it's a pain in the hole for the retailer to handle too with security and lodging it. I have a retail shop and when we started out 10 years ago, the take was about 70/30 in cash favour, now it's flipped and we'd have days of 90% card. Don't get me wrong I like cash and it's still good been able to buy something without it been recorded but it's on the way out fast.

It's unfathomable to open a retail business now and not take card. Revenue are far from stupid they do regular spot checks on all cash businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The pizza place on French Church street has a write up in Cork Beo - two Italians & a Kerryman behind it. All their first time running a business. The two Italians previously worked as chefs. They started looking at the venture back in November. Their oven is imported from Italy. https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/look-inside-bella-napoli-friends-20187884

This thread's favorite new deli, Masseytown, has two write ups - one in Cork Beo and one in the Echo. They have officially launched.
    https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/city-delight-masseytown-rotisserie-deli-20189249
    https://www.echolive.ie/corklives/arid-40245407.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see a food truck outside the old market tavern on anglesea street now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

ofcork wrote: »
    I see a food truck outside the old market tavern on anglesea street now.

Yeah that's Crawford's, just opened a few days ago. Nice spot https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=5402637386428106&id=2247172935307916

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If Masseytown appear to be doing well, I bet there will be a copycat outlet within a few months.

l.

Rising Sons are doing rotisserie chickens at the entrance.
    Coincidence?
    Perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

I stopped buying bread from El Door because they stopped taking card payments last year - during the pandemic!
    Back buying from Pana, now.

Me too, I love El Door but haven't been since they stopped card payments.
    With all the payment systems available these days it's just inexcusable to be cash only and imo it just means money not going through the books, just imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There's a new outdoor cafe open in the alley between Garryduff and Old Court in Rochestown, just behind Belmont. Few seats outside and looked to be doing good business

News Flash!
    Masseytown have put prices on their outside menu board - all sandwiches €9.50.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

News Flash!

What! That's an increase of €1 or €2?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What! That's an increase of €1 or €2?

That's what the sign said.

Perhaps they weren't displaying prices because they were still feeling out what they need to/can charge?
    Now they've settled.

Noticed Sea Salt are charging €11.50 for fish and chips.
    I'm almost certain I paid €9.50 last month.

I think we're seeing an increase in take away food prices, generally. There's more demand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That's what the sign said.

Perhaps they weren't displaying prices because they were still feeling out what the need to/can charge?
    Now they've settled.

I would think so.

A tenner for a sandwich would put many off I would think.

Still, they must have been doing well to have confidence in the price increase. Best of luck to them.

Is it an Irish thing to shake down customers at every chance, or is it just commerce in action?

I think it's a very bad sign of a business to up prices because of increased demand.

Just stick with the prices, build your customer base and then you'll be set up when things are back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

It'd want to be a fairly incredible sandwich for me to pay 9.50 to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 10 amolon01

opus wrote: »
    I noticed somebody on the other side of the road on the Mardyke looked to have set up a coffee counter from their garage yesterday evening, guess we haven't reached peak coffee just yet :)
    That is where Paul Montgomery lives (Reardens/Clancy's). Seems his sons have developed his entrepreneurial spirit!

amolon01 wrote: »
    That is where Paul Montgomery lives (Reardens/Clancy's). Seems his sons have developed his entrepreneurial spirit!

It's only a matter of time before they have artificial grass down and the road closed, so....

• Advertisement

Well I definitely won't be paying 9.50 no chance.

Iirc they were €7.50.......... dunno did I see that on here or Instagram. Anyway for €9.50 if that's not a meal deal including a drink it's a tad cheeky to up prices by over 25%. Any regular customers they are after gathering will be a tad disappointed I'm sure and not many new customers will be gathered with prices like that. Smells of price gouging tbh but perhaps they undershot with their initial price and need to increase, from comments on here the folk running it seem to be learning on the job.

Still, €9.50 sounds saucy for a hot meat roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

News Flash!

Saw that today and had a giggle to myself after reading this thread. Mental prices for a sandwich but they do smell unreal. I haven’t eaten meat in about 12 years but the smell would tempt me from that place!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

amolon01 wrote: »

Is that who it is. My partner was saying he felt strange supporting a new business when they are “clearly loaded already”. I guess he’s right. I got a coffee there the last day and it was lovely.

The young fella serving me was telling everyone where to stand when waiting for coffees which was a bit annoying. Basically everyone stand right on top of each other, not the best idea in a pandemic. I just said no as I felt strange standing so close to people. Plus I had a buggy with me and there was no room. Was busy though and the footpath is narrow so a bit of an awkward spot to be queuing when busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

The new coffee place on the Mardyke, open today at lunchtime where as the Huck Truck in the cricket club was closed.

547462.jpg

And you can bet he got no planning and nowt will be said due to who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

But looking at the Cork City Planning files, not alone is there no planning for the garage there's definitely no planning for the change of use - because there's no change of any use to take place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ofcork

He didnt lose the house so or is it the ex wife who has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Augeo wrote: »
    Iirc they were €7.50.......... dunno did I see that on here or Instagram. Anyway for €9.50 if that's not a meal deal including a drink it's a tad cheeky to up prices by over 25%. Any regular customers they are after gathering will be a tad disappointed I'm sure and not many new customers will be gathered with prices like that. Smells of price gouging tbh but perhaps they undershot with their initial price and need to increase, from comments on here the folk running it seem to be learning on the job.

Still, €9.50 sounds saucy for a hot meat roll.

Walked past this morning, nice jump in prices compared to last week for sure. As they say on TV, I'm out :) O'Reilly's food truck will sell me a tasty burger, chips & a drink for less than that & both of them are about the same distance for me to walk to at lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

opus wrote: »
    Walked past this morning, nice jump in prices compared to last week for sure. As they say on TV, I'm out :) O'Reilly's food truck will sell me a tasty burger, chips & a drink for less than that & both of them are about the same distance for me to walk to at lunchtime.

To put prices up that much is pure greed in my opinion. I love supporting new businesses but wouldn't be paying those prices. Must try O'Reillys soon - hearing great things about it.

Advertisement