Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

snotboogie wrote: »
    While it's the same plans the announcement seems to be that it is actually going to start. They mention hiring Sisk to construct. It's not that exciting but it's not nothing either.

There's no planning for this so construction can't start.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Lululemon appear to be hiring for a store manager for a Cork store.

They have an outlet in Brown Thomas Dublin, so it could be a concession in the Cork store. It's not clear from the ad. Hopefully a positive sign of more retail investments to come.

https://careers.lululemon.com/en_US/careers/JobDetail/Store-Manager-Cork-Brown-Thomas/10530

Edit: the url says Store-Manager-Cork-Brown-Thomas/10530

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭snotboogie

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There's no planning for this so construction can't start.

Planning is due in April: https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/arid-40250978.html while its not ready to go, this announcement does signify movement

Planning is due in April: https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/arid-40250978.html while its not ready to go, this announcement does signify movement

Planning is not due in April. It literally says in the article you linked to that they are preparing to lodge the planning application in April:

"Penneys has partnered with the O’Flynn Group for support in the planning and development process as it prepares to lodge a planning application to increase its St Patrick St retail space....with the planning application lodged in April."

So that would by July at the earliest for a decision. Pending any further information requests or appeals, probably late summer for a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Planning is not due in April. It literally says in the article you linked to that they are preparing to lodge the planning application in April:

"Penneys has partnered with the O’Flynn Group for support in the planning and development process as it prepares to lodge a planning application to increase its St Patrick St retail space....with the planning application lodged in April."

So that would by July at the earliest for a decision. Pending any further information requests or appeals, probably late summer for a decision.

planning is DUE to be lodged in April... it's obvious what they meant.

• Advertisement

planning is DUE to be lodged in April... it's obvious what they meant.

Not really. Saying planning is due is very different to saying planning is to be lodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Not really. Saying planning is due is very different to saying planning is to be lodged.

Relax lol an application is due in April. Either an application or a decision can be due, depending on the context

Relax lol an application is due in April. Either an application or a decision can be due, depending on the context

In fairness my main issue here is with the Examiner making a big fanfare of this when the planning hasn't even been submitted. It was a bit ott from them.

Eod100 wrote: »

Monty doesn't think planning process applies to him in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Monty doesn't think planning process applies to him in this case.

Throwing a few quid at a charity is easier than applying for and getting planning and will have people complaining about bureaucracy and red tape. "It's a disgrace, and they raising money for charity!"

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭PreCocious

Throwing a few quid at a charity is easier than applying for and getting planning and will have people complaining about bureaucracy and red tape. "It's a disgrace, and they raising money for charity!"

Looking forward to setting up my beer stall in the bike lane on Washington St - €1 from every bottle will go to charidee.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

He's some chancer.
    But so are the Council.
    Match made in heaven.

Do ya not need some sort of kitchen licence to sell food to the public?

Mardyke wrote: »
    He's some chancer.
    But so are the Council.
    Match made in heaven.

Do ya not need some sort of kitchen licence to sell food to the public?

Not if they aren't preparing any food.
    Serving coffee snacks needs very little approval, pretty basic requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

Not if they aren't preparing any food.
    Serving coffee snacks needs very little approval, pretty basic requirements.

The biggest issue here is that there is not enough room for people to safely queue without taking up a stretch of the footpath and sprawling out onto the public road. I think it is reasonable that people aren't happy to see this business operating at this location and I'll be interested to hear how the City Council respond to any complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I feel for the coffee brothers coffee shop down at the end of mardyke walk(by the church) that and the huck truck must surely have dented business slightly

Spideoige wrote: »
    The biggest issue here is that there is not enough room for people to safely queue without taking up a stretch of the footpath and sprawling out onto the public road. I think it is reasonable that people aren't happy to see this business operating at this location and I'll be interested to hear how the City Council respond to any complaints.

I wasn't defending their illegal cafe business. I was just saying that you don't need a special food licence to serve coffee and snacks.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I feel for the coffee brothers coffee shop down at the end of mardyke walk(by the church) that and the huck truck must surely have dented business slightly

This is an issue when people operate under the radar - they are unfairly competing with compliant businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

I wasn't defending their illegal cafe business. I was just saying that you don't need a special food licence to serve coffee and snacks.

Apologies, I didn't intend to single out your post and was more so making an observation, mainly in response to a lot of the rumblings on Twitter about bitter people who have nothing better to do than complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can't just turn your garage into a cafe without approval, otherwise we'd all be doing it. He see's nothing wrong with it though obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

More info on the popsicle place opening on Winthrop Street and in the English Market.

It’s the same people that have the place on Castle street.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/gourmet-popsicles-take-over-cork-20265353

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Gourmet popsicles? What a time to be alive

Rfrip wrote: »
    Gourmet popsicles? What a time to be alive

They're really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Spideoige wrote: »

It could be relating to the original planning permission of the building in which they are operating from, that planning permission may never have mentioned operating a business from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

What I find frustrating about the garage café is that he let his son open it away - teaching him not to worry about the licensing required - fantastic education in business practices there

D'Agger wrote: »
    What I find frustrating about the garage café is that he let his son open it away - teaching him not to worry about the licensing required - fantastic education in business practices there

Worked for Starbucks!

D'Agger wrote: »

#entrepreneur :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They're really good!

They are but 3 shops seems like an over saturation. It's great to see though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

rob316 wrote: »
    They are but 3 shops seems like an over saturation. It's great to see though.

There seems to be a market there. Plenty of gelato places.

Even the gelato place on George's Quay near me has queues during the winter! It's supposed to be very good, but not my kind of thing.

Do they have alcohol in the popscicles?

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Do they have alcohol in the popscicles?

I'm not sure. I has a mojito one but I assumed it was alcohol free.
    I didn't ask.

Advertisement