Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

User142 wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CNKHSmapbDG/

This coffee crowd have set up shop out on the coastline walk down by Jacobs Island. I personally think they are talking the piss due to the clogging up of the path with customers using the path.

IMHO this path is a busy public recreational amenity and there should be some sort of public process before private enterprise can set up shop like this.

There is a public process, I am sure.
    Not sure are these people ignoring it or is the process not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

This coffee crowd have set up shop out on the coastline walk down by Jacobs Island. I personally think they are talking the piss due to the clogging up of the path with customers using the path.

IMHO this path is a busy public recreational amenity and there should be some sort of public process before private enterprise can set up shop like this.

Ring City Council if you want to complain, they would have gotten a licence to allow set up there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They would at a minimum have to apply for a trading license from the Council and register with the HSE as they serve food/beverages. Give the council a call and find out if they've done all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Scally is a robber and gets alot of the older people due to having the post office. I see him losing lots to a Aldi right next door to him fingers crossed

I asked , 10% loyalty, that applies to local and instore food, bakery and local. Hot food labels barcodes are printed at the point of purchase so has to match at tills ?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

They weren't there for long. Maybe an hour or two and they announced they had moved location. They have moved to Mahon now. Apparently someone from the council was passing and told them to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How many more coffee carts do we need?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

rob316 wrote: »
    How many more coffee carts do we need?

I think there's been a lot of people jumping on the band wagon to make a quick buck. I hope that this isn't going to impact on established coffee shops in the long term, it would be a shame to see more vacancy in the city. I know the likes of Idaho Cafe on Caroline Street has not yet reopened so I would worry about their long term survival when we see so many of these temporary coffee docks opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭thomil

Speaking as a coffeeholic here, I see this as a reflection of how much cafes have become ingrained in Cork, rather than as a threat to "established" cafes as such. One part of the attraction of cafes is having a place to sit down and have a chat with friends, read, study or, in my case, write blog posts ;) This factor has become even more important in light of the desparate rental situation in Cork, and cafes are often the only place to meet friends or get some alone time when you're flat sharing and need some space for yourself. That is something that coffee trucks can't offer.

In addition, I think there is a big enough market in Cork to allow for both coffee trucks and cafes to coexist, so long as those coffee trucks don't move into the city centre. If they stick to large parks and beauty spots, I can see both of these business models continuing alongside each other.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

thomil wrote: »
    Speaking as a coffeeholic here, I see this as a reflection of how much cafes have become ingrained in Cork, rather than as a threat to "established" cafes as such. One part of the attraction of cafes is having a place to sit down and have a chat with friends, read, study or, in my case, write blog posts ;) This factor has become even more important in light of the desparate rental situation in Cork, and cafes are often the only place to meet friends or get some alone time when you're flat sharing and need some space for yourself. That is something that coffee trucks can't offer.

In addition, I think there is a big enough market in Cork to allow for both coffee trucks and cafes to coexist, so long as those coffee trucks don't move into the city centre. If they stick to large parks and beauty spots, I can see both of these business models continuing alongside each other.

Its a gimmick, people trying to make a quick buck while cafe's are closed for sit in and we are all out and about in public parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Its a gimmick, people trying to make a quick buck while cafe's are closed for sit in and we are all out and about in public parks.

Most cafes are still open, Idaho is an outlier as they were probably a breakfast/lunch spot that serves good coffee rather than a cafe.

Pretty much every big city has a burgeoning coffee culture, and its good to see coffee culture growing in Cork too, not everyone wants to be swilling pints of Heineken and heading to Reardans in brown pointy shoes catching each other in headlocks.

• Advertisement

Pure BS. How are coffee trucks at the Marina, on Jacob's Island, or even here in Ballincollig Regional Park drawing customers away from city centre cafes? Bean & Leaf on Grand Parade have more than enough customers in their catchment area that they wouldn't be affected by anything out beyond PUC, and I expect many other city centre cafes will be in a similar position.

Here in Ballincollig, we have three coffee trucks down in the Regional Park on a regular basis, yet both independent cafes and global chains like Starbucks are still doing a roaring takeaway trade. Coffee trucks simply don't attract as much "sit-down-and-chat" business as regular cafes.

If you don't like coffee trucks that's fine, but at least be honest about that rather than creating some ludicrous arguments that they're just a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Most cafes are still open, Idaho is an outlier as they were probably a breakfast/lunch spot that serves good coffee rather than a cafe.

Pretty much every big city has a burgeoning coffee culture, and its good to see coffee culture growing in Cork too, not everyone wants to be swilling pints of Heineken and heading to Reardans in brown pointy shoes catching each other in headlocks.

While I agree not everyone wants to be swilling points, attaching a weird scenario to drinking when coffee has plenty of it's own overpriced, watered down, can't function until I have mine stereotypes. Even the term 'coffee culture' I find a bit strange. It's a hot drink.

Corholio wrote: »
    While I agree not everyone wants to be swilling points, attaching a weird scenario to drinking when coffee has plenty of it's own overpriced, watered down, can't function until I have mine stereotypes. Even the term 'coffee culture' I find a bit strange. It's a hot drink.

I‘m wondering whether I should feel personally attacked by that coffee culture comment :p

Seriously though, coffee culture is very much a real thing, and has been so on the continent for decades, if not centuries. Whether it‘s the Austria, Italy, France, Spain, even large parts of Eastern Europe, sitting down to have a coffee and a chat is very much the norm there. As someone who‘s half Austrian and was raised both there and in the Czech Republic, I was raised on that stuff ;) It may be new to Cork, or Ireland in general, but that doesn‘t mean it‘s a new phenomenon.

It‘s also rather disingenuous to simply boil it down to the beverage coffee itself. It‘s the whole thing of just sitting down for a while and letting the world pass you by, maybe having a chat with friends or simply reading a book or a magazine. The latter part is so ingrained in Austrian coffee culture that cafés actually always have large selections of magazines, as well as the day‘s newspapers, lying around for customers to read.

Honestly, I think Cork needs much more of that.

Oh and to both you and rob316, thanks for the inspiration for my next blog post. I was seriously stuck.

I‘m wondering whether I should feel personally attacked by that coffee culture comment :p

Seriously though, coffee culture is very much a real thing, and has been so on the continent for decades, if not centuries. Whether it‘s the Austria, Italy, France, Spain, even large parts of Eastern Europe, sitting down to have a coffee and a chat is very much the norm there. As someone who‘s half Austrian and was raised both there and in the Czech Republic, I was raised on that stuff ;) It may be new to Cork, or Ireland in general, but that doesn‘t mean it‘s a new phenomenon.

It‘s also rather disingenuous to simply boil it down to the beverage coffee itself. It‘s the whole thing of just sitting down for a while and letting the world pass you by, maybe having a chat with friends or simply reading a book or a magazine. The latter part is so ingrained in Austrian coffee culture that cafés actually always have large selections of magazines, as well as the day‘s newspapers, lying around for customers to read.

Oh and to both you and rob316, thanks for the inspiration for my next blog post. I was seriously stuck.

My point wasn't of it's existence, I know it is a 'thing' of course and has been for years. It was more to do with the artificial creation of it and then calling it a 'culture', it's popular because people want it not because you have to create it. Cork for me has loads of coffee places already, really boomed the last few years. Not sure I'd want to see a street full of them.

That‘s the thing. It isn‘t artificial! It‘s more a consequence of more and more people moving to Cork who are accustomed to that stuff. I just saw the other day that 43% of the people who live in the city centre were born outside of Ireland. A significant number of those come from the countries I mentioned in my post above, at least if the amount of Spanish, Italian and French I heard in places like Bean & Leaf or DeCalf the last time I was there is anything to go by. It may seem artificial to you, but it is simply a side-effect of the changing demographics in the city. It just happens that this particular side-effect is catching on with a lot of „indigenous“ people as well, which is why it may seem artificial at first glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

I approve. Coming from the mentioned country I dont understand why there are not more options to sit outside and enjoy the day with a nice beverage in Cork.
    In Austria its everywhere, if not a restaurant or cafe is close, then you will find a bench around the corner. In Ireland places where people mingle are seen as places of evil (except pubs) The fight that endured in our estate about having a playground for kids was hilarious.
    Looking at people sitting outside of "le chateau", the success of the long table and last years outdoor dining shows that there is a huge demand for that.
    In general a question what Cork city center wants to be in future, a short cut through town for traffic or a place for people to come together. David McWilliams talked about this several times recently and in his Irish Times column.

That‘s the thing. It isn‘t artificial! It‘s more a consequence of more and more people moving to Cork who are accustomed to that stuff. I just saw the other day that 43% of the people who live in the city centre were born outside of Ireland. A significant number of those come from the countries I mentioned in my post above, at least if the amount of Spanish, Italian and French I heard in places like Bean & Leaf or DeCalf the last time I was there is anything to go by. It may seem artificial to you, but it is simply a side-effect of the changing demographics in the city. It just happens that this particular side-effect is catching on with a lot of „indigenous“ people as well, which is why it may seem artificial at first glance.

I think you're reading too deeply into what I said. The artificial point was in relation to the comparison of drinking being only one type of thing in the persons post and that coffee was this natural utopia. I'm all for outside seating, dining etc, but that expands a lot more outside just coffee too. Although I feel like people were saying it's caught on a lot here about 5-6 years ago, it's no longer that new really.

Pure BS. How are coffee trucks at the Marina, on Jacob's Island, or even here in Ballincollig Regional Park drawing customers away from city centre cafes? Bean & Leaf on Grand Parade have more than enough customers in their catchment area that they wouldn't be affected by anything out beyond PUC, and I expect many other city centre cafes will be in a similar position.

Here in Ballincollig, we have three coffee trucks down in the Regional Park on a regular basis, yet both independent cafes and global chains like Starbucks are still doing a roaring takeaway trade. Coffee trucks simply don't attract as much "sit-down-and-chat" business as regular cafes.

If you don't like coffee trucks that's fine, but at least be honest about that rather than creating some ludicrous arguments that they're just a gimmick.

Woah I think you misunderstood, there is coffee trucks in the regional park a long time. They are been plonked at any open space currently as that is all restrictions allow us to go to. There is absolutely an excess of them and you are ignoring the biggest factor, our weather is ****. A seasonal gimmick and taking advantage of the current trading situation is what they are.

Woah I think you misunderstood, there is coffee trucks in the regional park a long time. They are been plonked at any open space currently as that is all restrictions allow us to go to. There is absolutely an excess of them and you are ignoring the biggest factor, our weather is ****. A seasonal gimmick and taking advantage of the current trading situation is what they are.

Absolute nonsense.

The sooner Ireland "moves outside" the better. And it's already started, prompted by this pandemic.

Ireland's weather is often crap, but lots of people ignore the weather. You have no choice if you live in Ireland. It doesn't have to be sunny and 20C for people to want coffee in the park.

The only objection I have is the coffee kiosks that are selling crap coffee. There's one down in Murphys Farm that is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭snotboogie

What's the gimmick? The trucks sell coffee and if people want coffee they can buy it :/

• Advertisement

Woah I think you misunderstood, there is coffee trucks in the regional park a long time.

Don't worry, I understand perfectly. I've lived in Ballincollig for three years now, have worked here for five years and have been to the Regional Park many, many times. I know how long places like Cafe Chico et al have been there, so no need to lecture me on that. I've also been to places such as Good for the Soul, so I know quite a bit for the situation here, hence my comments. Many of the cafes in Ballincollig are also still open for takeaway and doing good, so there seems to be no issue there.
    There is absolutely an excess of them and you are ignoring the biggest factor, our weather is ****. A seasonal gimmick and taking advantage of the current trading situation is what they are.

To paraphrase Erwin Schroedinger. "You're not only not right, you're not even wrong" - That's how far of the mark you are. Once again, lecturing me on the supposedly bad weather in Ireland is futile, I've lived here for close to ten years at this stage, down in the city centre before moving to Ballincollig, so I've seen all the Irish weather can throw at me, and it wasn't worse than the weather I've experienced on the continent. The place I went to school in has one of the highest, if not the highest annual rainfall totals in Austria and yet, cafes with large outdoor seating areas are the norm there. Hamburg, where I was born and spent the first twelve years of my life, regularly gets storms as bad as those that hit Cork, yet there are large outdoor cafes and restaurants lining significant parts of the waterfront, despite that being one of the most exposed locations in the entire city.
    I'm also an amateur meteorologist who does his own forecast, though I'm admittedly nowhere near the level of M.T. Cranium over in the weather forum. Still, I have enough insight into the weather patterns that affect Ireland throughout the year for the "our weather is *****" argument to not hold any water. Most of the supposedly inclement weather can be dealt with by awnings or large parasols over outdoor areas, and the number of times when that is insufficient, and the weather is really bad is not higher than in comparable cities in coastal Europe.

So once again, if you don't like coffee trucks, that's fine. If you think they're a gimmick, that's fine as well, but don't try to pass off your personal opinion as "fact" with flimsy arguments such as the ones above.

Fantastic post Thomil!

Great to see so many sensible people posting here, especially those that are not born in Cork. This gives a much more rounded view.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I think there is a big difference in saying that these people knocking out coffee trucks is the start of changing the councils standpoint on outside eating and not just jumping on the band wagon of the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mardyke wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense.

The sooner Ireland "moves outside" the better. And it's already started, prompted by this pandemic.

Ireland's weather is often crap, but lots of people ignore the weather. You have no choice if you live in Ireland. It doesn't have to be sunny and 20C for people to want coffee in the park.

The only objection I have is the coffee kiosks that are selling crap coffee. There's one down in Murphys Farm that is terrible.

I dislike takeaway coffee joints, they create litter, as many of their customers are too ignorant to dispose of their cups responsibly.

Proper coffee culture is sitting down with a real cup and saucer, not dashing around with a disposable cup in your mitt, or drinking the sludge that is sometimes sold as coffee here.

I dislike takeaway coffee joints, they create litter, as many of their customers are too ignorant to dispose of their cups responsibly.

Proper coffee culture is sitting down with a real cup and saucer, not dashing around with a disposable cup in your mitt, or drinking the sludge that is sometimes sold as coffee here.

That's a fair point. Of course it would be great to see proper cafes dotted around parks etc. Much higher risk though.

I think these kiosks should be obliged to provide bins for a start. Also, you'll see some of them put out seating.

Mardyke wrote: »
    That's a fair point. Of course it would be great to see proper cafes dotted around parks etc. Much higher risk though.

I think these kiosks should be obliged to provide bins for a start. Also, you'll see some of them put out seating.

I think putting a charge on a disposable cup, maybe a euro per cup, would go a long way. I'm sick of seeing cups rolling around on the road after someone has thrown them out of their car window. Obvs like the plastic bag charge it would be a policy change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭RINO87

I think putting a charge on a disposable cup, maybe a euro per cup, would go a long way. I'm sick of seeing cups rolling around on the road after someone has thrown them out of their car window. Obvs like the plastic bag charge it would be a policy change.

Didn't we start doing this in the before time? Now most places refuse to let you use your reusable cup!

RINO87 wrote: »
    Didn't we start doing this in the before time? Now most places refuse to let you use your reusable cup!

I'm sure they could at least rinse and clean one for you, if they were bothered.

• Advertisement

RINO87 wrote: »

It was the other way around, most cafes around town offered a discount when you brought a reusable cup for them to pour it in. 25 to 35 cents if I remember correctly. It was stopped with the advent of the pandemic, when there was serious concern that the virus might be transmitted by touch or on surfaces.

Advertisement