Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

That's Bunzl McLaughlin - they supply all sorts to hotels and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The new JYSK in Little Island is just as poor as the Youghal one. Missing price tags, messy shop, little stock, one staff member in the entire shop. It seems to be nothing more than a poor attempt to imitate IKEA, minus the quality products, decent pricing and restaurant!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,480 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It always baffles me when people compare this place to IKEA.

IKEA built a massive shop in Dublin.

This place takes on former Lidl units and retail park units.

I've only being in the Portlaoise one. Stocking does seem to be an issue with them tough.

Got chair there tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭snotboogie

New cafe/restaurant open in Douglas Court, called Here’s Health Cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Noticed a new gym being kitted out on the ground floor of the Elysian near Aldi, called F45 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Peter stringer and peter o keefe involved with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

F45 is an international gym chain with quite a few gyms in Dublin already so a good addition to Cork.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

My old haunt Loafers has finally been sold after 8 years of dereliction for a whopping €340K. I wonder what it will become?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Registered Users Posts: 16,160 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You'd get a heart attack just looking at the pics of those burgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah, they don't appeal to me at all!

When you pass by, it just looks like Larry Tomkins with a new name - no sign of food menus or anything funky, at all. They really need to get the word out there that it's more than just a regular pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

awe I just saw on FB that Uncle Petes is closing their restaurant on Paul Street.. sad times..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Be right back

Didn't know they had a place in Bantry too. Must try it sometime. It's a shame the city one is gone but seemed to have odd hours recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Does anyone have any idea where they'll be going? I've seen people speculate the Counting House but nothing solid yet

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Again speculation rather than fact but there was a suggestion they were going into what is now Grand Central (formerly the Bailey)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Hopefully not given there is something already there. There is a recent planning application on that building for some slight changes from Mutual Enterprises Ltd., who do Grand Central, The Brog, Voodoo, etc, i.e. I can't see Grand Central moving. I'd prefer it go somewhere where there isn't already something there so it could bring new footfall, like the Counting House (or even the restaurant that got planning in Merchant's Quay)

Please explain what "hipster crap" is.

Is it a style of beer? A flavour profile? Is it a decor style? I'm really at odds as to what you think it is and why it makes a bar worth avoiding.

Please elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

the one in Bantry has just started doing a few deals - according to me the pizza by itself is ok if you are used to the good ones from Novocento etc :-), lot of others rate them as good - great ouside seating defo helps

I'm afraid I still don't understand what, exactly you are objecting to.

I have lots of reasons for not particularly wanting to go to a Brewdog bar. I could list some of them if you like.

But avoiding somewhere and advising others to do so, because it is "hipster crap" or "trendy crap" is, really pretty ignorant, in my opinion.

And I am not spamming your posts, I am responding to them and challenging things you say - it's a discussion forum - people disagreeing with you or questioning you is not spamming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

People don’t like the personalities behind brewdog. That’s basically it, isn’t it? the taxidermy squirrel beer bottle, projecting themselves naked onto the British parliament, being carbon negative etc. all very preachy.

I’ve had a few cans of various brewdog beers at home and the ones I’ve had were good beer. Seems like a huge range, no doubt there is something not to my taste in there too. Maybe the pubs are awful, but I’ve never been in one, just know they allow dogs from talking to friends in the UK. I wonder can they do that here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

People don’t like the personalities behind brewdog. That’s basically it, isn’t it? the taxidermy squirrel beer bottle, projecting themselves naked onto the British parliament, being carbon negative etc. all very preachy.

I'd say it's more the way Brew Dog have been known to force small pubs to change their names because the name sounded similar to a Brew Dog product (they've trademarked the work "punk" in relation to beer, for instance), that they've been accused several times of stealing marketing ideas from other companies and from job applicants, and that employees have publicly described a "culture of fear" in the company and that it was a "miserable experience" working there. That's leaving aside all the times that they've been found to be breaching advertising standards etc. It's fairly well known that Brew Dog is a fairly awful company, seemingly almost entirely because of the CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

See a cafe closed on cook street just up from john graces sign up saying something else coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

Saw that the other day. Possibly an Insomnia cafe to go with the reasons they're building next to it?

Penney's then have planning permission notice up in the old Vision Express/JD Sports unit across from the cafe too.

Anyone know what the story is with the Merchants Quay redevelopment? Doesn't look to ever be happening but they still have all the posters up for it inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,160 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Basically a hipster version of 'Spoons only worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

The replacement for Vegan KO that closed reputedly owning its staff a lot in wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Regatta opening on the upper mall in Mahon Point in the coming weeks. I'm guessing the former Oasis unit.

Sky were due to start fitting out the former Carphone Warehouse unit there from February 21st

Also Cunneen Locksmiths have opened there in the last few days.

This should only leave one empty retail unit after Frasers opens on the ground floor. In terms of food units, the former KFC is still empty.

Not a bad recovery for the centre after COVID, especially when compared with the City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

How many years have you being getting pissed when people ask about hipsters?

Surely you've grown up and out of the hipster stuff by now.

It's just such a lazy stereotype used in a blanket fashion, that it always gets my goat up.

Honestly, by the time people started to get their knickers in a twist about, so called, "hipsters", I was too old to ever be considered one!

It's just so stupid. I just hear; "that's a crap bar because I don't like some people's facial hair styling, I don't actually know anything about craft beer, and I've never been there. It's shyte".

Also saying things like "it's hipster crap/rubbish", doesn't actually tell the reader anything about a place or a product. The only thing I can garner from such a statement is that the person who made it is somehow intimidated by, otherwise, well behaved people because he/she doesn't like their clothes and hair and likes different things.

I mean, what harm have hipsters ever done to anyone? They are generally a fairly well behaved bunch - not too loud, boisterous or drunken. Having said that, all sub groups have arseholes among them.

So, there, you have my explanation as too why I react to lazy hipster bashing! I find it small minded and this is the internet.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

That's a great reply, thank you.

Advertisement