Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

Supermac's to open three new stores in Cork.The locations are Ballyvollane, Bandon Rd and Glanmire.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/supermacs-create-400-jobs-open-11908669

The bandon rd seems a strange one, any idea where?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

.red. wrote: »
    The bandon rd seems a strange one, any idea where?

Or which Bandon Road? The one on top of Barrack Street or the one in Bishopstown ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,491 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

kub wrote: »
    Or which Bandon Road? The one on top of Barrack Street or the one in Bishopstown ?

If I had to guess I'd say the Bishopstown one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

kub wrote: »

RTE press release just says Bandon Road, Cork City.

I heard rumours of a new food outlet joining the Amber garage on the Bandon Rd in Bishopstown, that would fit well with this as they have a load of space there & Supermacs go into a lot of filling stations.

Busy spot just off the North Ring

• Registered Users Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There is only one road called Bandon Road in Cork.
    There are many roads that lead to Bandon but the continuation of Barrack Street is the only one called Bandon Road.

It's in studentland. Ideal for a Supermac's

• Advertisement

There is only one road called Bandon Road in Cork.
    There are many roads that lead to Bandon but the continuation of Barrack Street is the only one called Bandon Road.

It's in studentland. Ideal for a Supermac's

It was originally one long road until it became split, as yes, the continuation of Barrack street is the Bandon road, but from the Waterfall Road to the Bandon road roundabout and up towards the viaduct is also the Bandon Road. If you look at Beauford's 1801 map of Cork, Bandon Road comes from Barrack Street and continues right through Glasheen as what is now called the Glasheen road. Not sure when it was split, but both ends are Bandon Road. Came across this when i was researching Churchyard Lane in Ballintemple - there's a small bit by the Silver Key pub then it becomes Temple Hill and becomes Churchyard Lane again down by the funeral home towards Pairc ui Chaoimh.

bandon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They'd be wasting their time near Lennox's

Now I could be wrong but Supermacs seem to be focusing more so lately on building premises with drive thru's and have little car parks or are attached to petrol stations. This is why I think the Bandon road in Bishopstown seems more likely!

Now I could be wrong but Supermacs seem to be focusing more so lately on building premises with drive thru's and have little car parks or are attached to petrol stations. This is why I think the Bandon road in Bishopstown seems more likely!

I thought that initially, but unless the press release is wrong it says Bandon road, Cork City - the bit in Bishopstown falls under County Cork. I reckon the Amber Garage on the Bandon Road by the North ring would be a dinger of a location for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cork789

Supermacs is opening on Bandon rd by viaduct, O’Briens Amber are running it,

Supermacs Also opening in Tivoli on a empty site next to the topaz by silver springs, work just begun on the site.

Supermacs are putting another drive thru in the new spar in Carrigtowil across from ballyseedy.

Apple green putting a Burgerking drive thru in Tullagreen in Carrigtowil too.

Supernova Ballincollig has also applied for planning permission for a new drive thru takeaway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Who in the feck is going to hoover up, all the crumbs in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

IKEA....again......

eveningecho.ie

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/IKEA-confirms-search-for-a-Cork-site-is-ongoing-d6db17e7-a079-4f4b-83a5-f314421ee5a1-ds

SWEDISH furniture giant IKEA has confirmed it is interested in opening a store in Cork, following months of speculation that it is looking at a location in the east of the county.

“IKEA is committed to growing and investing in Ireland,” the company said in a statement to the Evening Echo.

“We are always looking for opportunities and are investigating the potential for a second store in the market, specifically in Cork.”

In November it was reported that IKEA had chosen a location in Carrigtwohill, but yesterday the company said it had no ‘confirmed plans’ at the moment.

Cork County Council said it was working to identify suitable locations.

“The Council has been made aware of interest by IKEA in developing a large scale retail warehouse in metropolitan Cork,” a spokesperson said.

“Provision had been made in the recently adopted Local Area Plans for the area for such an eventuality."

“The Council now intends to engage with other stakeholders including TII, NTA and Cork City Council to examine appropriate locations within the metropolitan area which could accommodate such a facility. We hope to complete this work by late summer.”

There is competition from other parts of the country.

Councillors from Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown invited IKEA representatives to a county council meeting in the autumn, at the request of the furniture company, and they said at the time they were also “exploring the option of a site in south Dublin”.

There had been speculation that the retailer would choose the vacant Amgen site but it now believed to prefer another location in Carrigtwohill, close to the rail line.

Ikea’s Dublin store, opened in Ballymun in 2009, employs 650 people and it is believed a Cork store would create around 500 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Tabletop cafe opened today on Castle Street. Board gaming place with a large library. Looks good :)

https://www.facebook.com/tabletopcork/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Cork city needs a couple of drive thru Burger Kings. Douglas and Wilton would be ideal. Supermacs are meh...

Is it true that Donnybrook Fair are coming to Cork? The posh ladies who lunch from Rochestown and Montenotte will be positively orgasmic! :D

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Cork city needs a couple of drive thru Burger Kings. Douglas and Wilton would be ideal. Supermacs are meh...

Is it true that Donnybrook Fair are coming to Cork? The posh ladies who lunch from Rochestown and Montenotte will be positively orgasmic! :D

I always find the one in the city is empty!

It's rumored but I only heard it on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

blindsider wrote: »
    IKEA....again......

eveningecho.ie

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/IKEA-confirms-search-for-a-Cork-site-is-ongoing-d6db17e7-a079-4f4b-83a5-f314421ee5a1-ds

SWEDISH furniture giant IKEA has confirmed it is interested in opening a store in Cork, following months of speculation that it is looking at a location in the east of the county.

Ikea’s Dublin store, opened in Ballymun in 2009, employs 650 people and it is believed a Cork store would create around 500 jobs.

It's a great store, my house is full of it but it will put most independents out of business so it wont be much of an employment boost if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Was out for a bit of a jog yesterday & spotted a planning permission sign for yet more student flats (10 I think) on Noel Cantwell Walk (between Western Road & the Mardyke).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

ongarboy wrote: »

Blackpool by the looks of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Pizza N Sizzle are opening on Maylor St. where the old chipper used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

JohnK wrote: »
    Pizza N Sizzle are opening on Maylor St. where the old chipper used to be.

In matte Kiely’s building? Will they serve the food in newspaper?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    In matte Kiely’s building? Will they serve the food in newspaper?

Any have an old typewriter style till?
    And give food to the homeless at locking up time?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,210 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Blackpool by the looks of it?

In the shopping centre or retail park?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Construction work has begun on the redevelopment of a key city centre site into.a major live music venue.

The vacant four-storey building on the corner of Oliver Plunkett Street and Caroline Street is to be redeveloped to extend the Old Oak and Cyprus Avenue venues.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Construction-begins-on-key-city-centre-vacant-site-f913b664-3986-4b74-a6d5-eb0271319d07-ds

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

On a sadder note, Liam Ruiséal’s bookshop is closing after 101 years in business.

French sports retailer Decathlon is coming to Ireland and will have a Cork store. Still a few years off tough.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/french-sports-retailer-decathlon-to-open-up-to-nine-shops-in-ireland-1.3379797?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

French sports retailer Decathlon is coming to Ireland and will have a Cork store. Still a few years off tough.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/french-sports-retailer-decathlon-to-open-up-to-nine-shops-in-ireland-1.3379797?mode=amp
    They have a store in Dublin,its a great brand.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    They have a store in Dublin,its a great brand.

Don't think they do, Ireland is one of the few countries that doesn't have a store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

There is no Decathlon store in Ireland (Republic of) - Belfast is the nearest. Good store with decent clothing etc - even if some of the sizing is a bit off.

You can order online, and they deliver quickly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

blindsider wrote: »
    There is no Decathlon store in Ireland (Republic of) - Belfast is the nearest. Good store with decent clothing etc - even if some of the sizing is a bit off.

You can order online, and they deliver quickly enough.
    I stand corrected then :cool:

Advertisement