Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I got the impression Douglas Village was always the poorer cousin to Douglas Court over the years, mainly because Douglas Village had so many empty units. Would it be fair to say since M&S, TK Maxx and Starbucks among others have opened in Village, that this centre is drawing the bigger crowds these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

kcb wrote: »
    Where are both of those going?

It looks like there is work going on at the old Sam's Bar...

Republic is up over Sams - where the Thai restaurant used to be. John and Darina Gately (Boardwalk Restaurant) have taken over Sams (new name JD Gatelys) and as far as I know they're extending into the empty unit next door. Apparently they'll be doing food in the bar too, as well as having the restaurant upstairs.

The new homeware shop opened today where the former homeware shop was in the shopping centre (near the shoe shop).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

ongarboy wrote: »
    I got the impression Douglas Village was always the poorer cousin to Douglas Court over the years, mainly because Douglas Village had so many empty units. Would it be fair to say since M&S, TK Maxx and Starbucks among others have opened in Village, that this centre is drawing the bigger crowds these days?

Completely agree - I think since TK Maxx opened their unit, the centre seems to be thriving. The Saturday market there creates a lovely buzz.

Douglas Court just seems so gloomy and dated (IMHO) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

The new homeware shop opened today where the former homeware shop was in the shopping centre (near the shoe shop).

Passed by it today. Good to have that unit being used but the shop seems like a place that opens up for the few weeks before Christmas.

Passed by it today. Good to have that unit being used but the shop seems like a place that opens up for the few weeks before Christmas.

They have a shop in Blackpool SC that has been open for a few years. According to their FB page they're in Douglas too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The Range (UK home and garden store) opening in Eastgate Retail Park in the second anchor unit on January 6th.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/eastgate-retail-park-gets-homewares-chain-the-range-434283.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

New restaurant coming on Washington St I see - The SpitJack.

2aflv5t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

opus wrote: »

2aflv5t.jpg

That's Rachel Allen's latest venture I think:

http://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/rachel-serves-up-her-first-restaurant-in-cork-of-course-35153542.html

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I don't think so; she is fronting a new venture in the Courthouse Chambers building across from Washington St. Courthouse The Spitjack (I thought) was a couple of people from the food/beverage/catering/hotel world in Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

mire wrote: »
    I don't think so; she is fronting a new venture in the Courthouse Chambers building across from Washington St. Courthouse The Spitjack (I thought) was a couple of people from the food/beverage/catering/hotel world in Dublin...

Yep Rachel Allen is the face of Reardens Montgomery's new restaurant in the old Courthouse Chambers.

Good to have a couple more options anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

€2 store in Douglas Court is closing... BUT a Dealz is opening there instead...

Yep Rachel Allen is the face of Reardens Montgomery's new restaurant in the old Courthouse Chambers.

Good to have a couple more options anyway.

I spotted the planning application notice on the back wall of that building across from Reardens/The Courthouse. The planning application was submitted by this crowd: http://www.clarendonproperties.ie
    They are a property investment and property management company. Not sure if Monty is tied in with that restaurant or not. They manage Queens Old Castle, PowersCourt Centre, Jervis Shopping Centre and probably loads more.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Australian burrito chain Zambrero opening in the city somewhere. Posted a photo on Instagram but not sure where they are kitting out. Looks like a new build? Plenty of Burrito places popping up, is there room for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Australian burrito chain Zambrero opening in the city somewhere. Posted a photo on Instagram but not sure where they are kitting out. Looks like a new build? Plenty of Burrito places popping up, is there room for everyone?
    I think that they are opening up in Dennehy's Cross next to Ramen. They got planning to convert two retail units - 4a and 4b into one before Christmas. Work started there this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

An Asian place opening where wild west wings was on Washington street.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭what the hell!

satanta99 wrote: »
    I think that they are opening up in Dennehy's Cross next to Ramen. They got planning to convert two retail units - 4a and 4b into one before Christmas. Work started there this week.

They'll do well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

opus wrote: »

2aflv5t.jpg
    Their site says it's no.34 Washington St. so it looks to be the Cork Film services building two down from Liberty Grill

Another planning application for yet another new restaurant, this time at the corner of Souhth Mall and Princes Street.

We will be spoiled for choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Another planning application for yet another new restaurant, this time at the corner of Souhth Mall and Princes Street.

Planning refused on that one I think. The applicants' appeal to An Bord Pleanala also failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

That's been refused twice before so unlikely to happen. Is there such a thing as too many restaurants?

• Advertisement

Planning has also been refused for a new hotel on south terrace but student apartments on western road going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

ofcork wrote: »
    Planning has also been refused for a new hotel on south terrace but student apartments on western road going ahead.

Much needed, glad to hear, any idea what site?

The old garage site.

That's been refused twice before so unlikely to happen. Is there such a thing as too many restaurants?

I spotted afterwards that there was an appeal follow planning refusal. I wonder why the planning authorities refused it? I'm struggling to see what a city centre will be all about if it's not bars, coffee shops and restaurants. People seem to be migrating more and more to online for everything thes days so the array of shops that might survive is getting more limited by the day.

It would be great to have more people live and work in the city centre, that needs to be supported with residential development, office space and the social spaces to be created. However I'm sure our crowd are in the dark ages thinking banks and clothes shops are the way forward....dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

The website of Ballincollig Shopping Centre, which seems to be in the process of being renamed CastleWest Cork, suggests Starbucks is opening in the Old Coach house in the shopping centre plaza.

http://castlewestcork.ie/centre-map/

The centre owners have an application with Cork CoCo (166919) to convert the building from retail to coffee shop. Good to see more units in this centre finally becoming occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Another quay development - this is very good news !!
    https://fora.ie/camden-place-cork-offices-3206218-Jan2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭thomil

whatever76 wrote: »

Yep, good to see some investment along the North channel. It'll mean a year or so of construction noise for me, as I live almost around the corner, but it looks like a good addition to the area.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

satanta99 wrote: »
    The website of Ballincollig Shopping Centre, which seems to be in the process of being renamed CastleWest Cork, suggests Starbucks is opening in the Old Coach house in the shopping centre plaza.

http://castlewestcork.ie/centre-map/

The centre owners have an application with Cork CoCo (166919) to convert the building from retail to coffee shop. Good to see more units in this centre finally becoming occupied.

It's also showing Dixons next to Hickeys.

I wonder why the rebranding - has the centre new owners?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Home Store & More opening this Friday (3rd) in Turners' Cross, just by the Woodies.

Advertisement