Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Superdrug are going into the blackpool shopping centre. They are taking 3 units next to Dunnes and converting into one large unit. 3 units are Vera Moda, old pound shop and former cafe. Can't imagine Sam McCauley are too happy/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

rob316 wrote: »
    Superdrug are going into the blackpool shopping centre. They are taking 3 units next to Dunnes and converting into one large unit. 3 units are Vera Moda, old pound shop and former cafe. Can't imagine Sam McCauley are too happy/

Interesting, what is going next to Soba then?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭iamyourending

Just saw that Huckleberry's have announced the closure of both their stores as of last Saturday 30th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

rob316 wrote: »
    3 units are Vera Moda, old pound shop and former cafe.

Is Vera Moda closing so or will they just move?

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Is Vera Moda closing so or will they just move?

Relocating I'm told

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

In Mahon Point :On the top floor, 'Pamela Scott' and 'Trespass' are both leaving/have left. They were both big units, and Trespass were not there too long.
    Tesco in Mahon is not close to Dunnes in Douglas for fresh fruit/veg- I hope it will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,491 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In Mahon Point :On the top floor, 'Pamela Scott' and 'Trespass' are both leaving/have left. They were both big units, and Trespass were not there too long.

From what I know Tress Pass was never going to be a permanent fixture. Te two units are beside one other and would be decent size if they were combined into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Just saw that Huckleberry's have announced the closure of both their stores as of last Saturday 30th June.

That's a shame as their product / marketing was good. I felt like the guy that owned it saw it as a lauchpad for his social media career and that the business was secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

From what I know Tress Pass was never going to be a permanent fixture. Te two units are beside one other and would be decent size if they were combined into one.

Carrig Donn also closed so that's 3 in a row afaik...would love to know what's going in there.

Colser wrote: »
    Carrig Donn also closed so that's 3 in a row afaik...would love to know what's going in there.

Oh, I liked Carraig Donn to get Christmas presents when they had a good sale on a few days before Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Oh, I liked Carraig Donn to get Christmas presents when they had a good sale on a few days before Christmas!

They are still in Ballincollig...I got a few things in their closing down sale that I'm delighted with,I presume another clothes shop will go in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Colser wrote: »
    They are still in Ballincollig...I got a few things in their closing down sale that I'm delighted with,I presume another clothes shop will go in there.

Also still in Douglas

clio_16v wrote: »
    ........... I felt like the guy that owned it saw it as a lauchpad for his social media career and that the business was secondary.

Indeed, he'd throw some awful me me me me stuff on facebook.

clio_16v wrote: »
    That's a shame as their product / marketing was good. I felt like the guy that owned it saw it as a lauchpad for his social media career and that the business was secondary.

Absolutely always thought that too. Bit mad about himself I'd say

There's planning in for a change of use from Retail to a Cafe for Unit 4 Douglas Green on Church Road Douglas - looks like its the Vincent de Paul shop next to KUBO

And here's a very interesting one, its the old Xtravision unit and the upstairs tanning salon

1) Sub-division and partial change of use of ground floor retail unit, to create a new medical centre and retail unit, 2) Change of use of first floor tanning salon to new medical centre, 3) New pedestrian entrance to proposed medical centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

There's planning in for a change of use from Retail to a Cafe for Unit 4 Douglas Green on Church Road Douglas - looks like its the Vincent de Paul shop next to KUBO
    I like this idea, Douglas doesn't have an independent coffee shop around the village and Kubo is a very underrated restaurant. It would be great to see more people drawn to that street. 
    On the medical centre, anything to tackle the ridiculous dereliction along that side of the main street is welcome. I take it there is no news on the mystery business that has been declared to be "opening soon" for the last two years in the old centra unit next to it?

snotboogie wrote: »
    I like this idea, Douglas doesn't have an independent coffee shop around the village and Kubo is a very underrated restaurant. It would be great to see more people drawn to that street. 
    On the medical centre, anything to tackle the ridiculous dereliction along that side of the main street is welcome. I take it there is no news on the mystery business that has been declared to be "opening soon" for the last two years in the old centra unit next to it?

According to the guy who owns barbers opposite, it is indeed Il Padrino going into the old Centra. Apparently during renovations they discovered water seepage (whatever that is) in the basement and its taking a while to resolve that. He believes insurance companies are involved and they are dragging their heels. He's quite active on the local business front, so I'd say fairly solid info.

Also still in Douglas

My issue with the one in Douglas is it's just seems to full of clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cotts72

he was always a bit too much on social media! I do wonder what forced them to close,the 2nd store only opened recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I see works on going/just commenced in the former A-Wear store on Patrick street - is this the siting of the new sportswear store? It would be good to get this unit occupied it looks awful.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    he was always a bit too much on social media! I do wonder what forced them to close,the 2nd store only opened recently

Must have had just short term leases on the two premises. With a longterm lease and the presumed decent turnover & popular local brand you'd imagine it would have been a sellable business.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,180 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Beginning of the end of the donut love-in. Wonder what the next food fad will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Beginning of the end of the donut love-in. Wonder what the next food fad will be?

Korean or Mongolian BBQ please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I'd love it but anytime I have explained the concept of Korean BBQ (or Chinese Hot Pot) to someone from Cork who had never heard of it, the response has always been; pay to go to a restaurant and then cook my own food??? 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

mire wrote: »
    I see works on going/just commenced in the former A-Wear store on Patrick street - is this the siting of the new sportswear store? It would be good to get this unit occupied it looks awful.
    Not another sports store surely ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Cotts72 wrote: »

Dude was promoting his business tbf
    Augeo wrote: »
    Must have had just short term leases on the two premises. With a longterm lease and the presumed decent turnover & popular local brand you'd imagine it would have been a sellable business.

I fully expected the brand to be sold tbh given the work that went into it, Corks original doughnut store, plus it's not like we've fallen on hard times.

I reckon the Shack took a huge amount of footfall from the original location and opening the second location was an attempt to stem that tide, thing is, the previous company in Daunt Sq. Cream also went out of business so perhaps not the best move to go there.

Either way, sad to see a local business closing, given it was an independent startup

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Was already tried years ago on south main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

snotboogie wrote: »
    I'd love it but anytime I have explained the concept of Korean BBQ (or Chinese Hot Pot) to someone from Cork who had never heard of it, the response has always been; pay to go to a restaurant and then cook my own food??? 

Yup and usually said by people that think steak on a stone is amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

horgan_p wrote: »
    Was already tried years ago on south main street.

Different times these days I feel. Could be a hit, who knows.

Advertisement