Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

horgan_p wrote: »
    Was already tried years ago on south main street.

And it was pretty awful.
    Really poor quality ingredients.
    Bleugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Not another sports store surely ? :(

That's JD in the savoy expanding in there good to finally see it being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

xabi wrote: »
    Looks like its in the Maxol station.

Chopped is open in the Maxol on the Skehard Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

snotboogie wrote: »
    I'd love it but anytime I have explained the concept of Korean BBQ (or Chinese Hot Pot) to someone from Cork who had never heard of it, the response has always been; pay to go to a restaurant and then cook my own food??? 

There was a Mongolian BBQ place in Cork for a while in the early 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

EdgeCase wrote: »
    There was a Mongolian BBQ place in Cork for a while in the early 2000s.

Unlike Korean BBQ, you don't cook your own food in a Mongolian BBQ

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

snotboogie wrote: »
    Unlike Korean BBQ, you don't cook your own food in a Mongolian BBQ

You did in that place. It was pretty bad.

igCorcaigh wrote: »

How did that work? I thought the whole point of Mongolian BBQ is the big round griddles

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If it was authentic Mongolian, wouldn't it be horse meat?

Water John wrote: »
    If it was authentic Mongolian, wouldn't it be horse meat?

Mongolian BBQ is Taiwanese

igCorcaigh wrote: »

No, you chose all your own ingredients, handed the bowl over and a "chef" chopped the bejeesus out of it with two big sticks on a big griddle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Roki Vulovic

Basil on the Blackrock road. Wasn't open for Ed Sheeran concert footfall. Expect plenty of favourable write-ups due to owners owning or used to own Paddy The Farmer's pub; well-connected people. Place won't last pissing time. No interest in that area for such trendy, Salt-like businesses. Shop across the road has a good deli anyway. Seems like it might be the kind of project just to keep a bored housewife occupied.

I wish them well and they have plenty of money to throw at what I expect to be failing business, but this thing will not be a success.

I bet it is not open in two years time. :)

£13 for a small bite of lasagne. LOL. :D

Basil on the Blackrock road. Wasn't open for Ed Sheeran concert footfall. Expect plenty of favourable write-ups due to owners owning or used to own Paddy The Farmer's pub; well-connected people. Place won't last pissing time. No interest in that area for such trendy, Salt-like businesses. Shop across the road has a good deli anyway. Seems like it might be the kind of project just to keep a bored housewife occupied.

I wish them well and they have plenty of money to throw at what I expect to be failing business, but this thing will not be a success.

I bet it is not open in two years time. :)

£13 for a small bite of lasagne. LOL. :D

What a horrible, bitter, mean, snide, small minded, jealous post.

"I wish them well"
    Ya do in your hole!

What a horrible, bitter, mean, snide, small minded, jealous post.

"I wish them well"
    Ya do in your hole!

I do wish them well. I mean I have nothing against people doing well. In reality, there's not enough effete types in Lindville to keep that place open. £13 for a small piece of lasagne? Nobody in that area is going to pay that kind of money for a piece of lasagne.

Is Cork using Sterling ?! £?

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Is Cork using Sterling ?! £?

Don't know how to do euro sign on keyboard. Forgive me. Point still stands. This place's prices are too high and they will struggle. OAPs heading down to the post office for their pension aren't going to stop off for their 12/13 euro slice of lasagne. Furthermore, there is very little room for parking there.

As I said, I wish them well but I do not see it working out. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Don't know how to do euro sign on keyboard. Forgive me. Point still stands. This place's prices are too high and they will struggle. OAPs heading down to the post office for their pension aren't going to stop off for their 12/13 euro slice of lasagne. Furthermore, there is very little room for parking there.

As I said, I wish them well but I do not see it working out. Sorry.

From what i understand they do quite a bit of catering from there for local businesses and that's likely to be quite lucrative especially given the fact they are not paying city centre rates.

Don't know how to do euro sign on keyboard. .

OT, but for future reference for €:

Windows: "AltGr" + 4 (€ normally marked) or, alternatively: Ctrl+Alt+E
    Mac: Alt+2 (€ marked on Irish and UK keyboard next to @)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

Have been to Basil once or twice for a takeaway roll - it is expensive at around €7 but top quality ingredients and has seemed busy enough any time I was there. Salads looked really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

spillcoe wrote: »
    Have been to Basil once or twice for a takeaway roll - it is expensive at around €7 but top quality ingredients and has seemed busy enough any time I was there. Salads looked really good too.

€7 for a takeaway roll? Boom we are back baby:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Dbu wrote: »
    You'll pay that in the local maxol garage now for a chopped wrap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The last boom had the big breakfast roll. We have moved up this time to the chopped wrap. In fairness €7 is TTP.

Murmacs or whatever they are calling it now across the road looks nice. Have not been in there in years. Anyone know how their deli prices compares to Basil?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,491 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think Smiggle has moved into one of the larger units that have recently become vacant in mahon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Aldi Passage confirmed opening date 9am Thursday 19th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

When did Welch’s Sports on Maylor street close?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,180 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dbu wrote: »

Boom is back when there's eejits that will pay stupid prices for just a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Swoon opening up on the corner of Oliver Plunkett St./Grand Parade. Doctor nutrition was in there before, and the flower shop prior to that. I think Swoon may be an ice cream shop. Another one...

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Colibri wrote: »
    Swoon opening up on the corner of Oliver Plunkett St./Grand Parade. Doctor nutrition was in there before, and the flower shop prior to that. I think Swoon may be an ice cream shop. Another one...
    Ice cream has taken up the donut mantle so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Ice cream has taken up the donut mantle so

Will it die down before winter or how many of those will survive until march?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Colibri wrote: »

Its frozen yoghurt.

Advertisement