Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

A restaurant with the right menu will do well in MP. You can see Nandos is absolutely thriving.

The pizza place was very bland.
    Somewhere like Milanos is streets ahead of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

'Bean Town' (cafe) opening soon in the former Foxes Flowers on MFR beside Rendezvous

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Bean Brownie after opening at the old joup cafe site on Ballinlough Rd. Called in for coffee this morning and it is done up really nice and staff seemed lovely. More importantly the coffee was very good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

EdgeCase wrote: »
    A restaurant with the right menu will do well in MP. You can see Nandos is absolutely thriving.

The pizza place was very bland.
    Somewhere like Milanos is streets ahead of it.

Something like milanos would do quite well in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

horgan_p wrote: »
    Probably, but I'd hate to see it in there tbh, an italian replacing an italian with marginal improvement in the food (if we're lucky).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Seems to be a new car dealer going down in Little Island at the old PJ o Hea place next to MSL.

Called ZuCar or something like that, they have a big banner up on the front of it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

D'Agger wrote: »
    Probably, but I'd hate to see it in there tbh, an italian replacing an italian with marginal improvement in the food (if we're lucky).

Wouldn't be hard to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,490 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

James Whelan Butchers is opening in Dunnes in Bishopsown Court.
    39851677_2337648686251663_4417064733664870400_n.png.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=8c657a29f5ac82ad755843ccedbbaa83&oe=5BF2C993

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

horgan_p wrote: »

Everyone straight down from Tescos with their vouchers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

]

Think Ballyvolane might be getting that too - they are currently doing an extensive renovation there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

39851677_2337648686251663_4417064733664870400_n.png.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=8c657a29f5ac82ad755843ccedbbaa83&oe=5BF2C993

Quality butcher...

Will be really interesting to see how the new Dunnes layout works out, could be quite a smart concept. Along with James Whelan there will be 4 other artisan retailers opening shops there shortly, O'Connell's fishmongers, ABC Bread Company, Sheridan Cheesemonger and Baxter & Green Delicatessen.

Quality butcher...

Will be really interesting to see how the new Dunnes layout works out, could be quite a smart concept. Along with James Whelan there will be 4 other artisan retailers opening shops there shortly, O'Connell's fishmongers, ABC Bread Company, Sheridan Cheesemonger and Baxter & Green Delicatessen.

Do you know is this going to be the same for the Ballyvolane store? I can't imagine they'd have enough space for all of those. I know they are getting Baxter and Greene but not sure about the others.

leahyl wrote: »
    Do you know is this going to be the same for the Ballyvolane store? I can't imagine they'd have enough space for all of those. I know they are getting Baxter and Greene but not sure about the others.

Its only in the Bishopstown one, they are marketing it as an 'Artisan Food Hall @ Dunnes' and whilst they will carry some of the producers products in other stores, Bishopstown will be the only one with dedicated shops for now as its a pilot scheme.

Its only in the Bishopstown one, they are marketing it as an 'Artisan Food Hall @ Dunnes' and whilst they will carry some of the producers products in other stores, Bishopstown will be the only one with dedicated shops for now as its a pilot scheme.

Ah right, that's disappointing, but at least we'll have the Baxter and Greene - they're gonna have a cafe there as well as Cafe Sol which is outside the Supermarket area.

Will have to take a trip to Bishopstown one - haven't been out there in ages. Are they nearly finished there or do they have a bit to go?

Dunnes Ballyvolane due to be finished by the 21st October.

Ah right, that's disappointing, but at least we'll have the Baxter and Greene - they're gonna have a cafe there as well as Cafe Sol which is outside the Supermarket area.

Will have to take a trip to Bishopstown one - haven't been out there in ages. Are they nearly finished there or do they have a bit to go?

Dunnes Ballyvolane due to be finished by the 21st October.

Apparently due to be fully open in September. The new outlets will be manned and operated by the various producers themselves, albeit at a lower ground rent, so I can't see them repeating this in another Cork store as the overheads would be too great. More likely if successful the model will be rolled out in major Dunnes outlets in other major cities.

Apparently due to be fully open in September. The new outlets will be manned and operated by the various producers themselves, albeit at a lower ground rent, so I can't see them repeating this in another Cork store as the overheads would be too great. More likely if successful the model will be rolled out in major Dunnes outlets in other major cities.

Didn't know Dunnes actually bought James Whelan butchers a few years ago

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/hooking-up-with-dunnes-stores-helps-butcher-pat-whelan-raise-the-steaks-1.3252491

Yep although Whelans still own the farm & slaughterhouse, it was a perfect deal for them. Their quality of their stuff is amazing

Yep although Whelans still own the farm & slaughterhouse, it was a perfect deal for them. Their quality of their stuff is amazing

Yeah, never had their meat but I'd say it's pricy! Not sure it will take off in Bishopstown, people like their bargains! But it's still exciting :) Looking forward to seeing it when it's all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Sounds like the model they have currently in Cornelscourt in Dublin which is very nice - would not think you are shopping in Dunnes at all - very different. Hopefully it will do well now in B'town - was ther 2 weeks ago and they have a bit to go from what I could see. Whelan's butchers is v good quality meet and they do some good deals as well.

I found the Deli Counter at Baxter and Green in Dunnes in Limerick to be better than your average Dunnes but it was more expensive.
    Whelan's butchers is fine as well but it's expensive. Got one of those heritage hams they're know for and it was only okay and the prices wouldn't be similar to your typical supermarket. It was the James Whelan Butchers I was at a few years ago. Prices might have improved now.

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Think Ballyvolane might be getting that too - they are currently doing an extensive renovation there.
    What will happen with Byrne's butcher's ?

Gamb!t wrote: »
    What will happen with Byrne's butcher's ?

As far as I know they are staying but I think they will eventually be forced out cos the entrance to the supermarket is different now so you’re not passing Byrnes until you’re coming out of dunnes, after doing your shopping - unless of course you specifically go in there for Byrnes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Lab 82 Coffee open opposite Kent station entrance. Could be very handy if you have to wait for a train.

43514509294_a626dba046_c.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

deRanged wrote: »
    Lab 82 Coffee open opposite Kent station entrance. Could be very handy if you have to wait for a train.

43514509294_a626dba046_c.jpg

How on earth did I pass that an hour ago and not notice !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

How on earth did I pass that an hour ago and not notice !
    Guilty of such myself, so used to seeing a shut-up building that it never registers.
    Will be interesting to see how much business it siphons off from AMT.

FROYO, on on Castle Street.

44253319832_1ba86c7cae_c.jpg

Will froyo be the new doughnuts I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

When did that Froyo place open? Seems like it was just intended to be a summer gig from the start?

The one at the top of Oliver Plunkett has opened now, across from Bean and Leaf.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Milkshakes, Doughnuts and now Frozen Yoghurt.

What a time to be alive

• Advertisement

Mardyke wrote: »
    When did that Froyo place open? Seems like it was just intended to be a summer gig from the start?

three weeks ago. it's still open and very busy in the evenings - I just took the photo at a quarter to eight in the morning. I probably should have been more clear that it's a "recently opened" business :)

Advertisement