Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

And one open in the old lifestyle unit on Patrick st too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Heffernans Travel in the city centre by the GPO have ceased operations as of today.

Sad to see, however it seems a lot of people will now be out of pocket, some booked weddings etc.

They were only advertising flights and holidays up to yesterday on their Facebook page.

Surely management knew this was coming long before yesterday?! Seems like such poor form.

Not even an apology from them on the notice on the door.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Corks-Heffernans-Travel-closes-suddenly-4d469682-f65c-40e6-8210-04f191edc4ea-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Heffernans Travel in the city centre by the GPO have ceased operations as of today.

Sad to see, however it seems a lot of people will now be out of pocket, some booked weddings etc.

They were only advertising flights and holidays up to yesterday on their Facebook page.

Surely management knew this was coming long before yesterday?! Seems like such poor form.

Not even an apology from them on the notice on the door.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Corks-Heffernans-Travel-closes-suddenly-4d469682-f65c-40e6-8210-04f191edc4ea-ds

I thought the notice on the door was particularly bad, real two fingers to customers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Caught a lad I know 10k for his wedding plus the deposits of the 30 guests. Scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rob316 wrote: »
    Caught a lad I know 10k for his wedding plus the deposits of the 30 guests. Scumbags

Are travel agents not bonded?
    I thought customers money was protected.

Any company who takes in money with the full knowledge that the service/product will not be provided is guilty of plain and simple theft. There really is no other word for it.
    Same goes for anyone who takes in product on credit and sells it on knowing full well that the product will never be paid for. Theft.

• Advertisement

He more annoyed at the guests been caught and his wedding off than his own money. I think its just the flights are covered by the aviation bond and its a pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

rob316 wrote: »

As far as i know they were bonded, so if he paid by credit card he will be refunded. He will have to contact Visa though and instigate a chargeback
    On the other hand if he paid by cash it is gone. Never pay by cash if possible

Just listening on the radio there and a guy from the travel agents commission said his money is bonded. Hopefully that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

A place called “burnt” is coming soon on princess street where wildways was. Seen them bringing in dry wall/slab in. Wildways has been closed a few years so it’s good to see something going in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

The Bookshelf in the Elysian has opened finally! Nice setup inside, looking forward to trying it for lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The Bookshelf in the Elysian has opened finally! Nice setup inside, looking forward to trying it for lunch.

Tried for brunch on Saturday and really enjoyed it. Good selection, well priced, nice staff and a really nice, bright, spacious set up in there. I hope it does well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Same owners as the one on South Mall? I've gone there often, found it a bit frustrating to be honest. They seem to close at different times (depending on if/when they run out of stock??) and even if open might not have much left. It's very hit 'n' miss if you go in after about 4.

Very nice staff and nice spot though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Big fan of the bookahelf and love their coffee! Looking forward to trying it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Their raspberry and white chocolate scones are gorgeous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Rfrip wrote: »
    Their raspberry and white chocolate scones are gorgeous!!

They are phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

jackrussel wrote: »
    A place called “burnt” is coming soon on princess street where wildways was. Seen them bringing in dry wall/slab in. Wildways has been closed a few years so it’s good to see something going in there

Passed there yesterday and the signs said its a Neapolitan pizza place - going to be a bit of competition with Oak Fire Pizza opening soon on the other side of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

snotboogie wrote: »
    That’s very disappointing

The wife will be gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

The wife will be gutted
    Same here but at least our bank balances will be saved somewhat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I wouldn't worry too much about that. They won't open until all the necessary infrastructure is in place, so the Dunkettle interchange, a new train station (presuming it's in the vicinity of Fota retail park), new roads/lights/access at Cobh Junction. All that will take 3-4 years, so they could easily get moving on the project in that time frame. I hope anyway :)

The ballymun junction of the m50 had to be upgraded before they were allowed open. The infrastructure needs a complex for a store of this size with the traffic it brings. The Dublin store does something ridiculous like 150m turnover per annum.

If a proposed site like carrigtwohill was in the works it would turn the tunnel and dunkettle into a car park in it's current state. It's bad enough as is

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A woman's clothes shop called Vila is opening in Mahon in November!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A woman's clothes shop called Vila is opening in Mahon in November!

Vila are already in Opera Lane - connected to Vero Moda as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

leahyl wrote: »
    Vila are already in Opera Lane - connected to Vero Moda as far as I know.

Yup. Vila, vero moda & Jack Jones are owned by bestseller.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Cork could do with an Ikea but its not the be all and end all. TBH I've been to the Ballymun store and purchased some bookshelves and other items and I think Ikea is very overrated. Some of their stuff is very good and good value but IMO a lot of their furniture is poor and sub par. There is a lot a variance in terms of quality.

Also the Dublin store is completely rammed at weekends and is a nightmare to visit at those times. Ikea stores are huge and require a lot of supporting transport infrastructure. Currently Cork's infrastructure is not up to scratch thanks to 15 years of under-investment but it may well be in about 5 years' time.

I do think Ikea will come to Cork at some stage. The demand and market is there and it's really the only other place in the Republic that can accommodate an Ikea outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,177 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

jackrussel wrote: »

What are they supposed to be burning?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,177 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

My former apartment was kitted out with ikea stuff, landlord couldn't be arsed taking the stickers off. It was pound shop quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭monkeycork

Anyone have the name of the pub / gay bar at 33 MacCurtain Street. it's now a subway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

monkeycork wrote: »
    Anyone have the name of the pub / gay bar at 33 MacCurtain Street. it's now a subway.

Slicks or possibly Stripes
    One of those was across the road where Gallagher's is now but I can't remember which was which.

Advertisement