Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I’d suspect that if Debbenhams goes under in the UK, which is very possible, the Irish stores would be sold on and rebranded by someone else. From what I’ve heard they’re doing very good business here, but UK retail is flat for a variety of reasons - growth of online and low consumer confidence due to Brexit etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That seems an standard issue with multnational/UK shops with ROI outlets, over a long time. When M & S shrunk many years ago, the Irish outlets were their most profitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Ireland generally very buoyant for retail at the moment and on a very different cycle to the UK. Online shopping is likely to impact some of the blander stores regardless though. T

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Any update on superdrug in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

fin12 wrote: »

It was supposed to go in Blackpool was it fin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

fin12 wrote: »

Seems like it was blocked for Blackpool by boots and mccaulys as works stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Rfrip wrote: »

From what I know yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Rfrip wrote: »

Ya I think so but I haven’t seen it in Blackpool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

There’s work being done in the unit where Currys used to be in Ballincollig SC. It’s been empty for YEARS. I don’t know what’s going in there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I’d suspect that if Debbenhams goes under in the UK, which is very possible, the Irish stores would be sold on and rebranded by someone else. From what I’ve heard they’re doing very good business here, but UK retail is flat for a variety of reasons - growth of online and low consumer confidence due to Brexit etc etc.

The Debenhams in MP is one of the most profitable stores in the ROI so I don't think they'll be going anywhere fast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Dublin's Flyefit gym franchise is expanding to Oliver Plunkett Street in Jan 2019. Same building that got occupied by the protestors a few years back!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

There’s work being done in the unit where Currys used to be in Ballincollig SC. It’s been empty for YEARS. I don’t know what’s going in there though.

been empty for nearly 10 years at this stage I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Before the Dixons unit closed, they were only opening a few days a week, I think that they were closed on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday Also the Dixons brand was being phased out from shopping centres and high street stores. I wouldn't be surprised if they were still stuck in the lease and waiting until they reached a break clause or could sub let it.

I passed by old Dixons unit yesterday and not much has changed on the outside. The company now owns Carphone Warehouse. Maybe they are moving in there from their other unit in the centre?

Unit 1 on The Parade, between Lifestyle Sports and Heatons, looks like it is also being fitted out. On the Commercial Property lease register, it says a lease was signed for the unit last month and it will be used for a Hairdressing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 corknewyork

Does anyone know what is going to go into 111/112 Patrick Street, currently being done up, new shop front added and amalgamated? I believe before it was supposed to be JD Sports, however I noticed it was recently put up To Let, so I think it is safe to assume that is no more. Considering the To Let sign is gone and work has started, they must have found someone

It is going to be around 6,000 sq ft of retail space, with a further ~3,500 sq ft of storage above, which I'm sure could be changed to retail to get a 10,000 sq ft retail building. While Victoria Hotel likely for Zara will be 25,000 sq ft, I'm sure 10,000 sq ft across the way from Debenhams, Marks & Spencers and Brown Thomas is pretty good. Are they any big retailers Cork currently doesn't have which could fit there? Hollister, Victoria's Secret, Ted Baker, a Disney store?

I also always find it strange how there is no Foot Locker in Cork but it is in every other city (even Waterford). I think the building in between Spar and Waterstones on Patrick Street would be perfect. I also can't wait for the day for St Patrick's Buildings is filled (as far as I know its current use permission is a coffee shop, maybe a new Starbucks), and Queen's Old Castle is painted, grass/greenery growing out of it removed and Argos & Dealz kicked out for it to be amalgamated for a bigger retailer (there are already loads of Dealz and Dealz spin offs in the immediate area)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

What is st patricks building jd sports were supposed to expand from their savoy location into the old a wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Hairy baby and a new children play area opened in the douglas shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

The extension to the old oak/cypress avenue seems to be coming along.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

ofcork wrote: »
    What is st patricks building jd sports were supposed to expand from their savoy location into the old a wear.

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Carraig Donn opened in Wilton!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Saw a group of people in the Old Lifestyle Sports and before that River Island unit today. They had folders in their hand with JD sports on it. Maybe they were scouting out another location instead of the Savoy/former A-wear unit :cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

satanta99 wrote: »
    Saw a group of people in the Old Lifestyle Sports and before that River Island unit today. They had folders in their hand with JD sports on it. Maybe they were scouting out another location instead of the Savoy/former A-wear unit :cool::cool::cool:

hopefully. That unit is a blight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    hopefully. That unit is a blight.

Door is full of Roma beggars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Yay another sports shop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm sick of seeing sports shops open, we're already over saturated in them.
    We could really do with a Zara in the city center and I'd much rather see one of those open instead of yet another sports shop.
    I'd even prefer a Hollister, Abercrombie, Victoria's Secret, Mango or Forever 21 instead. At least then there'd be a bit of variety.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Yay another sports shop :rolleyes:

As if we need more people wearing tracksuits and converse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

As if we need more people wearing tracksuits and converse.

It's more that the majority of the existing population only want to wear tracksuits 365 days a year and that's how the market is responding accordingly. (Unfortunate but seemingly a fact from observation not just in Cork but all over Ireland). No point opening a Hugo Boss, Reiss, Ted Baker or Massimo Dutti if that will go bust from lack of patronage yet a Sports Direct, Lifestyle or JD Sports will be thronged constantly which is why such sports stores open up multiple or expanded outlets in the same location in high streets across Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

ongarboy wrote: »
    It's more that the majority of the existing population only want to wear tracksuits 365 days a year and that's how the market is responding accordingly. (Unfortunate but seemingly a fact from observation not just in Cork but all over Ireland). No point opening a Hugo Boss, Reiss, Ted Baker or Massimo Dutti if that will go bust from lack of patronage yet a Sports Direct, Lifestyle or JD Sports will be thronged constantly which is why such sports stores open up multiple or expanded outlets in the same location in high streets across Ireland.
    My take is that what you've stated is relatively well known, people just want to have a whine about a sports shop opening.

Honestly, who gives a fúck, I get the point made about diversity in shops, how a Zara, Hollister etc. etc. would do great in the town, they would and good point made, but this shít of 'oh noes, another sports store, the commoners will all be tracksuits now' goes beyond any real discussion about how Cork city is being developed commercially and descends the thread into downright snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Its nothing to do with snobbery, I wear tracksuits myself, I just don't see the need for another sports shop when we are already over saturated in them.
    I have a huge interest in fashion, I spend more than I care to admit on clothes each month, and I'd welcome the diversity of having a few new brands easily accessible in the city center.
    Zara, at the very least, would bring a massive amount of traffic & trade to any of the empty units on Patrick St. The one in MP is absolutely thronged at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with snobbery, I wear tracksuits myself, I just don't see the need for another sports shop when we are already over saturated in them.
    I have a huge interest in fashion, I spend more than I care to admit on clothes each month, and I'd welcome the diversity of having a few new brands easily accessible in the city center.
    Zara, at the very least, would bring a massive amount of traffic & trade to any of the empty units on Patrick St. The one in MP is absolutely thronged at the weekend.
    Agreed and I referenced your post about a need for diversity, though I didn't quote it - I'm on about other posts lumping in on what people wear, making watery comments with no substance, about people who wear tracksuits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

SusieBlue wrote: »

I'd love more diversity & agree, Zara is a big omission from Patricks Street, however if the units are available and they don't take them I'm not sure else can be done to bring them in. Sports stores always sell well and whilst I'd rather anything else, I'd also rather see a unit taken by somebody rather than lay empty.

Advertisement