Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Posters are mentioning Zara. They are rumoured to be the prospective tenants of the Victoria Hotel development a few doors down.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/landmark-cork-hotel-site-set-for-major-revamp-464116.html

The project was approved by the Council but has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala (ABP).

An Taisce put in an appeal and also some local businesses back in March which has stalled the plan.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/objections-stall-plans-to-revamp-hotel-site-into-upmarket-retail-store-468410.html

In this article it mentions that one of those who appealed to ABP was John Grace who owns a fast food outlet on Cook Street, John Grace’s Fried Chicken. He has also been a vocal opponent of the Car ban on St. Patrick's Street. See https://twitter.com/grace_fried/status/1059509931722899462

In his appeal he has asked An Bord Pleanála to refuse planning permission for the redevelopment of the former hotel site claiming it would deteriorate the local streetscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Oak Fire Pizza is now open on Prince's st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Yay another sports shop :rolleyes:

Even worse if it's another JD. Horrible, horrible shop with dreadful customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Any news about what's going into the ground floor of the Cypress Avenue / Old Oak building? Saw some of the internal fit-out last week, didn't look like retail, more like a restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

JohnK wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned but Oak Fire Pizza is now open on Prince's st.

Any reviews? Always keen to try new pizza :P
    who_me wrote: »
    Any news about what's going into the ground floor of the Cypress Avenue / Old Oak building? Saw some of the internal fit-out last week, didn't look like retail, more like a restaurant.

I think the original plans included space for a café.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

That building is going to be an extension of the Old Oak and Cyprus avenue venues and has planning for a new music venue with a Cafe bar on the ground floor with alcohol licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Their original stores in West Cork are very good indeed, so I'd have high hopes this one is no different.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I haven't been, but one of my friends loved it, and she's not the biggest fan of pizza. Looks busy too, whenever I passed.

AFAIK, Burnt has still not yet opened across the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Candlemania is reopening in Mahon for Christmas!(It might already be open)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Zara, at the very least, would bring a massive amount of traffic & trade to any of the empty units on Patrick St. The one in MP is absolutely thronged at the weekend.
    Would it though? Is it worth the risk for someone?
    I passed Zara a number of times over weekends, and it’s been ok. I’ve no doubt it can be busy a number of times, but there doesn’t appear to be someone that’s crunching the numbers that believes it’d work.
    Plus, from my limited time of being in Zara (and other clothes shops) I find it mental the amount of returns that are being processed. Not sure a busy looking business is always processing sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Yeah probably should have mentioned I ate there :pac: Had lunch there today and the pizza was very tasty and big - had the spicy salami, pic below. I will most certainly be going back.

467097.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

JohnK wrote: »

I've had it in clon, it's fairly good

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah, the pizza crowd established a good base (BOOM, BOOM) in West Cork before opening in the city. Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Always thought the old awear shop would be a ideal for a victoria secerts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

who_me wrote: »

Extension of the oak/cypress avenue another derelict building gone thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,176 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Yay another sports shop :rolleyes:

Always a market for the Togher Tuxedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Does anyone know any rumours flying around about the upstairs former Savoy nightclub? Been closed three years now and not a peep. I've no insight or anything into it, just wondering if anyone else has heard even a rumour. It's a huge premises that on the face of it seemed to have the best nightclub facilities in the city. Been to some good gigs there as a venue too, which was a nice addition to the live music scene in Cork. Shame no one has gone in there in so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

bleach94 wrote: »
    Does anyone know any rumours flying around about the upstairs former Savoy nightclub? Been closed three years now and not a peep.

That white elephant will never reopen.

The only way it would ever work is for an owner/operator and not a tenant leasing like the last time.

It's not really in the owners interest to be bothered with it, when the retail units downstairs have safe long term tenants.

When the Savoy and Pavilion closed last time, the one thing I kept hearing were the words 'unpaid debts'.

I can't even imagine how much the rent and rates are on a premises that size.

Hey, this is really handy:

https://www.neighbourfood.ie/markets/cork-city/1

Order food online. Collection takes place each Tuesday (5-7pm) in the historic Apple Market (behind O’Sho bar) at 13 Barracks Street.
    (Last orders must be in by Sunday at Midnight!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,176 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That white elephant will never reopen.

The only way it would ever work is for an owner/operator and not a tenant leasing like the last time.

It's not really in the owners interest to be bothered with it, when the retail units downstairs have safe long term tenants.

When the Savoy and Pavilion closed last time, the one thing I kept hearing were the words 'unpaid debts'.

I can't even imagine how much the rent and rates are on a premises that size.

A shame. A wasted space. I guess rats will be the only ones partying in it for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Rendezvous Bishopstown apparently (re)opening this Friday 7th Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Could the savoy return as a cinema as they have increased in popularity again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

ofcork wrote: »
    Could the savoy return as a cinema as they have increased in popularity again.

It would be so much better as a live music venue I think. Decent size that's bigger than most places bar the Opera house. Perfect for good mid level bands to fill it out. Mastodon were one of the last bands to play there I think and that sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Trespass is opening in Mahon again Tommorow!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    AFAIK, Burnt has still not yet opened across the street.
    Burnt is open now. Does anyone else think it is a shocking name?

FLYEfit opening in the big glass building across from the Oliver Plunkett bar in January. Will be interesting to see how it does. Always wondered why that building has been vacant for so long. https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/flyefit-opens-three-new-gyms-including-one-in-cork-as-part-of-6m-expansion-plan-37506324.html

Shop ’n’ Drop valet service for Cork city shoppers
    Located at 1-2 Cook Street (previously Specsavers), just off Patrick Street, the service asks for a small donation from shoppers for Breakthrough Cancer Research. It aims to encourage shoppers to enjoy the city by allowing them to drop off their bags and go for a drink or a meal, hassle-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Something in shopping centres in Europe you see is the use of lockers. Recent trip to Poland we were in Krakow with the day to spend before our flight home that evening - lockers allowed us to effectively not lose a day of sight-seeing and relaxing around the city - would be interested to see if any place in Cork offered this - admittedly, hostels/hotels will oblige you but if you're in an AirBnb like we were, it's a very handy service to be able to avail of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

FLYEfit opening in the big glass building across from the Oliver Plunkett bar in January. Will be interesting to see how it does. Always wondered why that building has been vacant for so long. https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/flyefit-opens-three-new-gyms-including-one-in-cork-as-part-of-6m-expansion-plan-37506324.html

I walked past that building yesterday. Some amount of work to be done there to have that open by January..

Advertisement