Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

leahyl wrote: »
    Says on that sushi website that their premises is at 1 Grand Parade - Huckleberrys was on South Terrace wasn't it? Also, 1 Grand Parade seems to be Centra...

Walked past it at lunchtime today.

469530.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Nice decor and paintwork! Brightens up the place a lot! Will definitely have to try it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Louis Copeland opening on Academy Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

...boom boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Not sure if there is already a thread on businesses/facilities that were closed down for a considerable period and have publicly announced future intentions to re-open.

"Cork gym which closed with debts worth €660,000 to reopen under new ownership"

The former SOURCE Health & Fitness Leisure Centre / Gym at Silversprings, Tivoli, Cork which closed down July 2018 has since been bought and will be refurbished and it's new owners aim to re-open in April!

Further details via below article published in the Irish Examiner online Monday, January 07, 2019 - 04:03 PM

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-gym-which-closed-with-debts-worth-660000-to-reopen-under-new-ownership-896112.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Not sure if there is already a thread on businesses/facilities that were closed down for a considerable period and have publicly announced future intentions to re-open.

"Cork gym which closed with debts worth €660,000 to reopen under new ownership"

The former SOURCE Health & Fitness Leisure Centre / Gym at Silversprings, Tivoli, Cork which closed down July 2018 has since been bought and will be refurbished and it's new owners aim to re-open in April!

Further details via below article published in the Irish Examiner online Monday, January 07, 2019 - 04:03 PM

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-gym-which-closed-with-debts-worth-660000-to-reopen-under-new-ownership-896112.html

Be interesting to se how it looks when work is done. Was a member there about 6yrs ago and it was dated back then even.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

There's a new gym after opening in Eastgate in Little Island, Smart Training Gym. Recently joined it myself and seems good so far, and handy location (across from Eli Lilly) for some of the larger workplaces in Eastgate.

titan18 wrote: »
    There's a new gym after opening in Eastgate in Little Island, Smart Training Gym. Recently joined it myself and seems good so far, and handy location (across from Eli Lilly) for some of the larger workplaces in Eastgate.

Its a personal training gym as opposed to a standard gym is it?

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Be interesting to se how it looks when work is done. Was a member there about 6yrs ago and it was dated back then even.

I am somewhat surprised that "Ben Dunne Gyms" have not shown any serious interest about opening in the Cork City area over the years as they have expanded to a few locations outside Dublin (i.e.) Navan, Waterford & Portlaoise following the closure of their gyms in the UK and I gather more gyms will open in Ireland in places like Limerick, Carlow etc; According to an old post from Ben Dunne Gyms on Facebook there had been previous intentions to open a Ben Dunne Gym facility in the Cork City region in December, 2013 although; there has been no further public confirmations on Cork City to my knowledge which is interesting.

Cork has a selection of gyms scattered around the place although; I think Cork could still do with a more aggressive price-point for those customers looking for access to additional amenities such as: access to gym PLUS access to swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi/whirlpool after their working-out at more affordable rates.

Unfortunately places like Leisureworld, Brookfield and most of the hotel leisure clubs can be expensive when you factor in membership rate, car parking, peak time use while using such facilities. Single Adults who are not classed as student/no special concession can pay quite a lot so; more competition is always important and welcome! If Ben Dunne Gyms does source a premises in Cork City area it would probably attract new customers like myself if it offers a full service facility just like it's branch in Northwood Business Park, Santry in Dublin which costs 250.00EUR for 12 months membership contract (renewal 230.00EUR) which allows members access to gym & pool/spa facilities. I thought Ben Dunne Gyms would buy the former SOURCE leisure facility at Silversprings in Tivoli but apparently not the case and the new owner hopes to re-open a refurbished facility in April.

I am somewhat surprised that "Ben Dunne Gyms" have not shown any serious interest about opening in the Cork City area over the years as they have expanded to a few locations outside Dublin (i.e.) Navan, Waterford & Portlaoise following the closure of their gyms in the UK and I gather more gyms will open in Ireland in places like Limerick, Carlow etc; According to an old post from Ben Dunne Gyms on Facebook there had been previous intentions to open a Ben Dunne Gym facility in the Cork City region in December, 2013 although; there has been no further public confirmations on Cork City to my knowledge which is interesting.

Cork has a selection of gyms scattered around the place although; I think Cork could still do with a more aggressive price-point for those customers looking for access to additional amenities such as: access to gym PLUS access to swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi/whirlpool after their working-out at more affordable rates.

Unfortunately places like Leisureworld, Brookfield and most of the hotel leisure clubs can be expensive when you factor in membership rate, car parking, peak time use while using such facilities. Single Adults who are not classed as student/no special concession can pay quite a lot so; more competition is always important and welcome! If Ben Dunne Gyms does source a premises in Cork City area it would probably attract new customers like myself if it offers a full service facility just like it's branch in Northwood Business Park, Santry in Dublin which costs 250.00EUR for 12 months membership contract (renewal 230.00EUR) which allows members access to gym & pool/spa facilities. I thought Ben Dunne Gyms would buy the former SOURCE leisure facility at Silversprings in Tivoli but apparently not the case and the new owner hopes to re-open a refurbished facility in April.

Yeah apparently leisureworld were in talks to buy source last year (before it went into receivership). Source was ideal for me years ago but few issues arose and I left! Im living in glanmire and we have **** all options nearby.

The crowd taking over made a point that its not going to be a budget friendly gym and will still retain close to the rates source had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Does that gym in Little Island do PAYG?

It's incredibly hard to find one in Cork.
    Bishopstown appears to be the best available.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Does that gym in Little Island do PAYG?

It's incredibly hard to find one in Cork.
    Bishopstown appears to be the best available.

Fitnessworx do payg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

Hapenny Golf closed. Re-locating to a new premises. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think it's being discussed before JD Sports is expanding into the old Awear premises on Patrick Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

valoren wrote: »
    Hapenny Golf closed. Re-locating to a new premises. I think.

Want to re-locate anyway, will be gone for a while at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Joes and Bros are opening their second place in the Winthrop Arcade. Seem to be taking up where East was and the unit where that nice chocolate shop was. Not sure if they're going all the way to the back. Quite a narrow space so it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Joes and Bros are opening their second place in the Winthrop Arcade. Seem to be taking up where East was and the unit where that nice chocolate shop was. Not sure if they're going all the way to the back. Quite a narrow space so it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

East is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    East is gone?

Ya they closed around middle/end of November maybe?

Any sign of a tenant to occupy the former Quill's Store (originally T.R. Lester chemist) to the left of Savoy on Patrick Street?

I am pleased to hear that the former A-Wear branch to right of Savoy Centre has been acquired for JD Sports to expand!

Also the recently closed "Starbucks Coffee" outlet to left of Debenhams department store - any prospect of new tenants going on here? There was a time when the nearby Roches Stores would have attracted high footfall but now it's a totally different story altogether given how quiet Debenhams has become. The former Roches Stores premises on Patrick Street will probably never see high footfall for retail again due to cheaper costs & prices reflected online. Debenhams would be a perfect site for a hotel development fronting on to Patrick Street - Cork must be unusual in that it has no hotel situated on it's main street and the nearby multi-storey car park is ideal for hotel guests needing to park during a stay. Victoria Hotel has long since gone!

Merchant's Quay Shopping Centre is long overdue a revamp and with that may result in new businesses/shops opening?

Now that I think of it, Penney's (issued by Primark) must have plans to expand it's store on Patrick Street given that it has been buying out the entire block?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

The Quills building will be turned into apartments as part of the Savoy redevelopment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Penneys is meant to be doubling in size and have bought other buildings/etc.

Regarding what will happen to Debenhams/etc. I don't know I like trying to keep this thread about businesses opening in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

calnand wrote: »
    The Quills building will be turned into apartments as part of the Savoy redevelopment.

Only the upper floors. Ground floor remains as retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Any sign of a tenant to occupy the former Quill's Store (originally T.R. Lester chemist) to the left of Savoy on Patrick Street?

I am pleased to hear that the former A-Wear branch to right of Savoy Centre has been acquired for JD Sports to expand!

Also the recently closed "Starbucks Coffee" outlet to left of Debenhams department store - any prospect of new tenants going on here? There was a time when the nearby Roches Stores would have attracted high footfall but now it's a totally different story altogether given how quiet Debenhams has become. The former Roches Stores premises on Patrick Street will probably never see high footfall for retail again due to cheaper costs & prices reflected online. Debenhams would be a perfect site for a hotel development fronting on to Patrick Street - Cork must be unusual in that it has no hotel situated on it's main street and the nearby multi-storey car park is ideal for hotel guests needing to park during a stay. Victoria Hotel has long since gone!

Merchant's Quay Shopping Centre is long overdue a revamp and with that may result in new businesses/shops opening?

Now that I think of it, Penney's (issued by Primark) must have plans to expand it's store on Patrick Street given that it has been buying out the entire block?

On this note, I was in there around 2pm either the Saturday or Sunday after Christmas and I couldn't get over how quiet it was. Far more staff (looking very bored) that shoppers. Stock levels weren't right for time of year either. They're in serious trouble in the UK and I hope they pull through, because I can't imagine what would go in there if they went.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

On this note, I was in there around 2pm either the Saturday or Sunday after Christmas and I couldn't get over how quiet it was. Far more staff (looking very bored) that shoppers. Stock levels weren't right for time of year either. They're in serious trouble in the UK and I hope they pull through, because I can't imagine what would go in there if they went.

Wow - sign of the times! I remember visiting Cork from Kerry on the Saturdays before Christmas as a child/teenager and Roches and Merchants Quay would be absolutely heaving. The queues for breakfast in Cafe Kylemore went halfway down the upper mall on those particular pre Xmas days. Cash's (Brown Thomas) was the same. How things have changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Showing my age here, but I miss Roches Stores:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The Penny's and Merchants Quay developments are badly needed. I doubt that either will happen this year. The Victoria Hotel situation is a complete farce and we can all thank the fine purveyor of fried chicken who appealed and has held up the development by a year so far. It's good news with the Savoy but there is still a lot to happen on Patricks Street and a Debenhams closure would be catastrophic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Dbu wrote: »
    I miss the Early Learning Centre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Dbu wrote: »
    So do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

D'Agger wrote: »
    I miss the Early Learning Centre :D

I miss the FM store in the queens old castle :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

What about Football Crazy? My favourite store as a child coming up for a day trip - I've no idea where that was actually if somebody could confirm - fairly sure it was around Rory Gallagher Square direction

Advertisement