Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

D'Agger wrote: »
    What about Football Crazy? My favourite store as a child coming up for a day trip - I've no idea where that was actually if somebody could confirm - fairly sure it was around Rory Gallagher Square direction

Wasn’t it across from the examiner office?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

What about Football Crazy? My favourite store as a child coming up for a day trip - I've no idea where that was actually if somebody could confirm - fairly sure it was around Rory Gallagher Square direction
    Football crazy was on Academy Street, in vicinity of where H&M shop is now. Spent so much time in that shop as a young fella

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Football crazy was on Academy Street, in vicinity of where H&M shop is now. Spent so much time in that shop as a young fella

Ha ha, was Tony Hennessy working there or did he own it. Mad referee

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Dbu wrote: »
    Ha ha, was Tony Hennessy working there or did he own it. Mad referee
    He was the auld lad with the curly hair wasn't he? I don't know if he owned it but definitely worked there. I remember lusting after many an item there and occasionally (Christmas/birthdays/communion/confirmations), making a purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Football crazy was on Academy Street about 2 doors down from the Examiner Office. The ESB Shop was invetween them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Nice one - I've vague recollections of popping down a lane like the one between Paul St. and Academy st. to get to it but couldn't place it on account of it being so long! Sorry for going OT!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

snotboogie wrote: »
    we can all thank the fine purveyor of fried chicken who appealed and has held up the development by a year so far.

This guy is nothing but a trouble maker. Disgraceful that one guy with a bee in his bonnet can cause so much trouble and hold up projects that benefit Cork city and its population.

He needs to pack in the fried chicken game and open up a smoothie shop in Bantry or somewhere out of harms way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Football Crazy was class,its was opposite where coqbull is now. Staff were sound out in there and knew there stuff.one of the few places you could buy goalie jerseys ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Football Crazy was class,its was opposite where coqbull is now. Staff were sound out in there and knew there stuff.one of the few places you could buy goalie jerseys ha

Brilliant shop. I've very fond memories of always going there to get names printed on the back of my jerseys as they charged a flat fee as opposed to the bigger shops which charged per letter and number. Every single day I went in town I used to go in there. Great times. The guy who owned/ran it was a complete gent aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

we can all thank the fine purveyor of fried chicken who appealed and has held up the development by a year so far.

snotboogie, I also didn't know this.

This is the guy complaining about lack of footfall outside his restaurant, yet he appears to be happy to have a boarded-up hotel at the entrance to the street?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

snotboogie, I also didn't know this.

This is the guy complaining about lack of footfall outside his restaurant, yet he appears to be happy to have a boarded-up hotel at the entrance to the street?!?

Objections stall plans to revamp hotel site into upmarket retail store
    In fairness An Taisce got on board too but the quotes in that article are incredible
    "The proposed development will result in a loss of night-time activity in Cook Street and will produce a lack of consumer variety" In other words Zara customers are unlikely to eat fried chicken.

What I find so odd about John Grace is he seems to be trying desperately to keep his business alive, by going on the attack against any development or changes around him. His Twitter account had one promotional entry (the first tweet), then turned into a 'stop the car ban' account. For a man so concerned about his business, he does fúck all to promote it other than appearing in publications like this stating that Pennys and the development of buildings near his Chicken outlet are 'marginalising' him.

I'd have no problem supporting a business like this, that has been in Cork for as long as I have, except any time I've walked past it now I've thought to myself 'not giving that fool my custom' - if John Grace fried chicken does go out of business, you can be guaranteed that it's a result of John Grace himself and how he's handled himself and his business in the face of a changing cityscape

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭PreCocious

His other twitter account is dedicated to posting videos of his rows with motorists when on his bike.

The coffee shop next door seems to do more business than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

How's it even still open? There's never a sinner in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

PreCocious wrote: »
    His other twitter account is dedicated to posting videos of his rows with motorists when on his bike.

The coffee shop next door seems to do more business than him.

That’s him? :rolleyes: Angry man.

dulux99 wrote: »
    How's it even still open? There's never a sinner in there

On weekend nights there'd be a flock in there enjoying his speciality.....jojos. dunno where they all drink beforehand though as side trax is closed a decade +

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

PreCocious wrote: »

Do share the details of this account, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Do share the details of this account, please!

@righttobikeit is the username :D

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Dbu wrote: »
    Showing my age here, but I miss Roches Stores:P

Not to worry. I was talking to an old dear over Christmas and she said that she misses Woolworths!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Academy st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

In other words Zara customers are unlikely to eat fried chicken.

I both shop at Zara and eat fried chicken....

For me this would be winner, winner chicken dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Not to worry. I was talking to an old dear over Christmas and she said that she misses Woolworths!!!!

https://wooliesbuildings.wordpress.com/2018/06/21/cork-store-83/

http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/1980s-Eire.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The Woolworths signage diimproved each time it was modernized. Nice to see those pictures.

Anyone heard that 5 guys are going into Mahon point next to Nandos? I also heard that Next and New Look are both closing in Douglas Court but that Dunnes have bought the centre and will be doing a similar renovation to what has happened in Ballyvolane.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Wouldn't mind a Five Guys here. I always duck into one when I'm away. I'd be way more inclined to go there over Nandos. That unit next to Nandos always seemed to struggle whoever was in there.

Five Guys would be pretty cool but would indicate we've reached peak burger - any entries to the market after that would have a short stay i reckon

For anybody interested in the company - podcast called How I built this - owner of Five Guys is on it and seems like a very straightforward guy.

Would definitely prefer to pop for a burger pre-movie than nandos in Mahon Point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone heard that 5 guys are going into Mahon point next to Nandos?

Could have sworn I'd heard (possibly in this thread) that it was Ramen going on there

JohnK wrote: »
    Could have sworn I'd heard (possibly in this thread) that it was Ramen going on there

Could well be, I heard it from somebody working in MP so 5 guys could be BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Five Guys would be pretty cool but would indicate we've reached peak burger - any entries to the market after that would have a short stay i reckon

For anybody interested in the company - podcast called How I built this - owner of Five Guys is on it and seems like a very straightforward guy.

Would definitely prefer to pop for a burger pre-movie than nandos in Mahon Point

Thinks its Dermot Desmond sons own the Irish Franchise asaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Could well be, I heard it from somebody working in MP so 5 guys could be BS.

5 Guys has been advertising on their site for weeks to get staff for Belfast, nothing about Cork so I'd be surprised if it was them. Ramen would be out the door in MP

Advertisement