Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

D'Agger wrote: »
    Fi- any entries to the market after that would have a short stay i reckon

Unless it’s Shake Shack, god I’d kill to have a shake shack in Ireland the burgers are unbelievably good.

5 guys would be nice to have though too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Deub

I saw that a new restaurant in Washington street should open soon: The bleu bistro.

It is where Makan was. No idea about the menu though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Deub wrote: »
    I saw that a new restaurant in Washington street should open soon: The bleu bistro.

It is where Makan was. No idea about the menu though.

There used to be a Bleu Bistro in Dublin serving Mediterranean food - closed down a while as so I wonder is this the same place popping up in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

My sister and her boyfriend have just opened a new gaming cafe called Kaiju Gaming Lounge on North Main street, 10 v good spec PC's ideal for some 5v5's two PS4's and PS VR. Anyone with any interest in gaming should check it out.

Can't believe the Idle Hour is closing ! 9th Feb last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Is it going to be swallowed up by developments in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I tought it would have done more business with nearly say 4k office workers next to it?.

So much money to be made from what is next to it. Office workers after work for a pint. Lunch dinners you name it.

I know if I had a pub next to my office on a Friday evening I would be going for pints!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I know if I had a pub next to my office on a Friday evening I would be going for pints!!!
    Too many people driving I'd say - if not for the car I'd probably go for a pint / dinner the odd time after work and I'd say theres a lot of people in the same boat. If we had better public transport it'd be different but any time I try it I end up standing at a bloody bus stop for ages until a whole fleet of buses arrive at the same time and form a convoy either into or out of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

There is also a lot of people who don't drive and would be able to get a bus home after work as after all its less then a 10 min walk to the bus station.

There is just so much business to be made in that area.

They could have had a offer that was not to be refused by the department next to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

JohnK wrote: »
    Too many people driving I'd say

I blame it on the Panaban. I'm gonna ring Peej tomorrow about it.

Maybe, just maybe, these businesses are closing because they are just not very successful. Times change also. A cobbler closed recently in town. Sure who uses a cobbler any more.

The Idle Hour has always been a dive bar. I'd have thought they'd have done well with the new young professionals around there. But they probably don't do food so it's not going to have much trade during the day or weeknights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

OH NO! I don't go very often, but always have a great ole laugh there :D

I did see supports on the gable of the pub, I assume the development next to it, must have played havoc with its foundations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Username checks out... :)

Yeah, heard both the Idle Hour and Sextant were closing, don't know about the latter. I'm all for the development of the docklands but I'd hoped we'd keep what few interesting businesses we had in the area. You'd have thought both would be crammed to the doors once Navigation Square is filled.

I mean, it actually makes sense to go the pub for a coffee / beer for an hour after work, rather than sit in stationary traffic during rush-hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Think there is a bit more to this.
    From what I hear, the building itself may have been seriously damaged by the building works.
    There is a possibility that the owners will be opening a new pub within the new development.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dbu wrote: »
    From what I hear, the building itself may have been seriously damaged by the building works.
    There is a possibility that the owners will be opening a new pub within the new development.

I heard this too just now, a friend of mine said she knows someone who was in there recently and that apparently the walls are really badly damaged.

Dbu wrote: »

Wow. If that is true, how is that handled?

Idle Hour owners get paid via insurance to fix/rebuild; then insurance company negotiates (or sues) the neighbouring developers?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah heard that it isn't permanently closing. Will rebuild and be bigger, got damaged due to the works going on

who_me wrote: »
    Username checks out... :)

Yeah, heard both the Idle Hour and Sextant were closing, don't know about the latter. I'm all for the development of the docklands but I'd hoped we'd keep what few interesting businesses we had in the area. You'd have thought both would be crammed to the doors once Navigation Square is filled.

I mean, it actually makes sense to go the pub for a coffee / beer for an hour after work, rather than sit in stationary traffic during rush-hour.

yep, the Idle Hour, Sextant and Carey's tools are all closing. Will completely change the whole corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

yep, the Idle Hour, Sextant and Carey's tools are all closing. Will completely change the whole corner.

Is that definite about the Sextant? Would be sad to see it go, 'tis a good spot and you'd imagine that if anyone in that area is still there in about a year, they'd be heaving busy with the office staff.

Is that definite about the Sextant? Would be sad to see it go, 'tis a good spot and you'd imagine that if anyone in that area is still there in about a year, they'd be heaving busy with the office staff.

As far as I know, I was talking to one of the staff yesterday and my understanding is that the whole corner has gone. I guess it makes sense if they have Carey's as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

As far as I know, I was talking to one of the staff yesterday and my understanding is that the whole corner has gone. I guess it makes sense if they have Carey's as well

Damn. That's a shame!

http://www.navigationsquare.ie/gallery/ - these were the initial images that came out when that office block was announced. Carey's Tool Hire and the Sextant still standing there. The plan must have changed since, which is a bit of a disappointment if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Damn. That's a shame!

http://www.navigationsquare.ie/gallery/ - these were the initial images that came out when that office block was announced. Carey's Tool Hire and the Sextant still standing there. The plan must have changed since, which is a bit of a disappointment if so.

Its a different development, Navigation Square is being done by OCP, the Carey's Tools and Sextant site will be done by JCD, if reports are to be believed....

I can see work ongoing on the old St Vincent De Paul's next to Kubo by the old Daly's shop in Douglas. I think it's going to be an independent coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

**** it, it'll be an office monoculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Hsd been wondering how long yhe sextant and co would last. There is still an opportunity for a bar there between lunches, after work drinks (staff will have to use public transport as parking will be v limited plus over the next few years they is going to be a growth in 0% beers) and mathes. Unfortunately any bar i see opening there will lack character which many of the city bars has lost in the last 10 years or so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

As said it could be part of the new development happened with pa johnsons when knapps square was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

The previous development plan recommends filling the dock lands in blocks going out from the city, so I’d expect the whole block between Victoria Rd, Albert Quay, Albert street and Albert Road to be demolished and rebuilt within 15 years

Perhaps a refurbished idle hour will survive but maybe not. I’ve no objection to glass and steel but it’d be nice to break it up with a few heritage buildings if possible.

I’m interested to see if any of the sextant or nearby terrace on Albert st gets incorporated in some way, but I doubt it on that side given the Elysian and one Albert quay across the road

I see Haywards of London suit shop in Douglas village is closing. Never seemed to be many customers in there sadly, slightly odd place for a Tailors shop.

Also notice that Itsome has a sale with 'all stock must go', so wondering if they are going as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I see Haywards of London suit shop in Douglas village is closing. Never seemed to be many customers in there sadly, slightly odd place for a Tailors shop.

Also notice that Itsome has a sale with 'all stock must go', so wondering if they are going as well ?

There was a suit shop in Douglas village? :eek:

MrDerp wrote: »
    The previous development plan recommends filling the dock lands in blocks going out from the city, so I’d expect the whole block between Victoria Rd, Albert Quay, Albert street and Albert Road to be demolished and rebuilt within 15 years

Perhaps a refurbished idle hour will survive but maybe not. I’ve no objection to glass and steel but it’d be nice to break it up with a few heritage buildings if possible.

I’m interested to see if any of the sextant or nearby terrace on Albert st gets incorporated in some way, but I doubt it on that side given the Elysian and one Albert quay across the road

Has the entire Carey's site been purchased? Because from I can see, that wraps around the West side of that block (Albert St), all along the South side (Albert Rd), and a small piece of the East (Victoria Rd.)

If all that is developed, then most of the block will have been rebuilt.

I wonder what'll happen next then. Victoria Rd. is an obvious 'border'/limit between the city centre and the docklands. I wonder if the first development across the road will kick-start development going further east.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Mountain Warehouse are recruiting for a new Cork store opening in Spring.

https://ie.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=da7ddd5c0e695ee0&tk=1d2su1sl29n16801&from=vjnewtab

No details on location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

If The Sextant is going, where the hell are we going to get a drink on the way to the Marquee?

Advertisement