Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Dan Dare wrote: »
    If The Sextant is going, where the hell are we going to get a drink on the way to the Marquee?

Goldburgs

Ah jaysus careys tools is closing I can't believe it nah I can

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

mean gene wrote: »
    Goldburgs

Nothing wrong with Goldburgs, gone there after a gig at the Marquee, but unless it has Tardis like dimensions, I can foresee problems.:eek:

Nothing wrong with Goldburgs, gone there after a gig at the Marquee, but unless it has Tardis like dimensions, I can foresee problems.:eek:

I suppose you be looking at where the boardwank was there's a few bars there there's another bar next to Goldburgs aswell the marina bar not sure if it's still there

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I see Haywards of London suit shop in Douglas village is closing. Never seemed to be many customers in there sadly, slightly odd place for a Tailors shop.

Also notice that Itsome has a sale with 'all stock must go', so wondering if they are going as well ?

According to the Itsome Facebook page, they are making way for the new season stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

who_me wrote: »
    Has the entire Carey's site been purchased? Because from I can see, that wraps around the West side of that block (Albert St), all along the South side (Albert Rd), and a small piece of the East (Victoria Rd.)

If all that is developed, then most of the block will have been rebuilt.

I wonder what'll happen next then. Victoria Rd. is an obvious 'border'/limit between the city centre and the docklands. I wonder if the first development across the road will kick-start development going further east.

Carey’s is two sites. Navigation square will connect Albert Quay and Albert rd when finished, with two blocks facing Albert Rd.

As far as I’ve heard the assembled block is everything West of Navigation square, but they may have the Carey’s Lift Equipment yard at the back too given the deal for the main site. I’d expect it to be kept in JCDs back pocket for some time.

Given a 10 floor apartment block has been given permission in the middle of the block behind St. John’s ambulance, there may be scope for a tall residential building on the south east corner as it’s set back from the river by a similar amount to the Elysian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

MrDerp wrote: »
    Carey’s is two sites. Navigation square will connect Albert Quay and Albert rd when finished, with two blocks facing Albert Rd.

As far as I’ve heard the assembled block is everything West of Navigation square, but they may have the Carey’s Lift Equipment yard at the back too given the deal for the main site. I’d expect it to be kept in JCDs back pocket for some time.

Given a 10 floor apartment block has been given permission in the middle of the block behind St. John’s ambulance, there may be scope for a tall residential building on the south east corner as it’s set back from the river by a similar amount to the Elysian.

Yup, you're correct, sorry. Blocks C and D go back further from the river, so Carey's have two discrete sites. I'd love to see a mockup of the 10-floor development along with Navigation Square. The block isn't that big, so it must be up pretty close to Block B or D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

snotboogie wrote: »
    Its a different development, Navigation Square is being done by OCP, the Carey's Tools and Sextant site will be done by JCD, if reports are to be believed....

I can see work ongoing on the old St Vincent De Paul's next to Kubo by the old Daly's shop in Douglas. I think it's going to be an independent coffee shop.

It's not independent, the signage has gone up and its bean and leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

snotboogie wrote: »
    It's not independent, the signage has gone up and its bean and leaf.

Oh.. yay 🙄

If The Sextant is going, where the hell are we going to get a drink on the way to the Marquee?

The Marquee site has also been sold. #ProblemSolved. Ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is the Idle Hour definitely closing soon? Can't find anything online

Eod100 wrote: »

Yes, in a couple of weeks.

Rumour has it there was significant structural damage, possibly/probably related to the nearby construction. (Though to be honest, I used to work in an office over one of the neighbouring pubs, and the entire building shook when lorries passed by... could have been a long-standing issue too).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Friend of mine who used to be involved in a bar not too far away from there told me that they heard it's closing for 8 months for repairs. Whoever runs Goldbergs must be happy as their two closest competitors are shutting down!

opus wrote: »
    Friend of mine who used to be involved in a bar not too far away from there told me that they heard it's closing for 8 months for repairs. Whoever runs Goldbergs must be happy as their two closest competitors are shutting down!

Yeah I heard 2 years. Would be a pity if they are both gone tbh. Nice spots especially in the summer. Rumours of the Port bar reopening but dunno is there much in that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Better get your skates on......

Idle Hour closes this weekend, last night is Saturday 9th Feb & the Sextant closes next week with last night Saturday 16th Feb.

According to the Cork Indo, the Sextant is taking the premises at 32 Marlboro Street which is an existing bar. I understand the Idle Hour licence may have been included in the deal with the developers as they are looking to open a new bar/restaurant in the old Cork Railway office (part of the Carey's site) with frontage onto the new plaza that will be built.

Better get your skates on......

Idle Hour closes this weekend, last night is Saturday 9th Feb & the Sextant closes next week with last night Saturday 16th Feb.

According to the Cork Indo, the Sextant is taking the premises at 32 Marlboro Street which is an existing bar. I understand the Idle Hour licence may have been included in the deal with the developers as they are looking to open a new bar/restaurant in the old Cork Railway office (part of the Carey's site) with frontage onto the new plaza that will be built.

Has that been confirmed about the Idle Hour? It's closed for good so and not for repairs or anything like that?

Has that been confirmed about the Idle Hour? It's closed for good so and not for repairs or anything like that?

I've heard both versions, so not 100% sure but I was told by someone reliable that the licence was part of the deal, so time will tell I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

Is there any date confirmed for Louis Copeland opening in French Church Street.

Sorry if already asked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Is there any date confirmed for Louis Copeland opening in French Church Street.

Sorry if already asked

This article last month said they've sought planning permission to change a unit from a hair dressers (Alan Keville) to retail at 17 Academy Street so I'd say it would take a couple of months to go through the planning process.

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-examiner/20190117/282308206281396

ongarboy wrote: »
    This article last month said they've sought planning permission to change a unit from a hair dressers (Alan Keville) to retail at 17 Academy Street so I'd say it would take a couple of months to go through the planning process.

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-examiner/20190117/282308206281396

Planning decision is due next week, I believe they are hoping to open in April

• Advertisement

Mountain Warehouse opening in the old Lifestyle Sports shop in Patrick street

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Mountain Warehouse opening in the old Lifestyle Sports shop in Patrick street

thank god something has gone in there. A blight on the street while it was empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thejuggler

A welcome development for everyone except the group of organized beggars who take up residence in the porch ocassionally!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Born Clothing advertising for Store Manager for new store opening in Douglas

https://www.simplyhired.ie/search?q=new+store+new&l=cork&job=wRA9-Rw7W3ePq3GzpqWn0c_FjqIbEbKzCmtLsAHlCBCdBTQrVr6Q3Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

spotted this on getcork FB … sounds interesting !!

There is a new Nano-Brewery and Restaurant coming to Cork. Planning has been granted to Cotton Ball Brewing Company to redevelop parts of the former Thompson House, previously a bakery, on MacCurtain Street.

whatever76 wrote: »
    spotted this on getcork FB … sounds interesting !!

There is a new Nano-Brewery and Restaurant coming to Cork. Planning has been granted to Cotton Ball Brewing Company to redevelop parts of the former Thompson House, previously a bakery, on MacCurtain Street.

Great stuff! Love that building, it looks very under-used. (And it's in my part of town, so better again..)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

who_me wrote: »
    Great stuff! Love that building, it looks very under-used. (And it's in my part of town, so better again..)

I think the Thompson House building is owned by the same family who own the Cotton Ball so makes sense to have a venue in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Neil p said during the week there were suits from the uk over looking at how certain retail was performing wouldn't say which.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Dorothy Perkins appears to be opening in Mahon.
    I'd say it will go into the last of the units they've done up.

https://ie.indeed.com/cmp/Arcadia-Group/jobs/Sales-Assistant-bb81467245e3e6f7?q=Mahon&vjs=3

• Advertisement

Dorothy Perkins appears to be opening in Mahon.
    I'd say it will go into the last of the units they've done up.

https://ie.indeed.com/cmp/Arcadia-Group/jobs/Sales-Assistant-bb81467245e3e6f7?q=Mahon&vjs=3

Is it just me but I don't bother going to that side of the centre, I go upstairs from Debenhams and just keep to the left.

Advertisement