Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I don't know how M&S stay open there. They must be running at a loss. The coffee shop is always empty and the clothes section is very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

happyday wrote: »
    I don't know how M&S stay open there. They must be running at a loss. The coffee shop is always empty and the clothes section is very quiet.

But they only just extended it to the second floor so they must surely be doing alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

I pass it every Saturday on the way to the market and looks busy enough.

Harika wrote: »
    I pass it every Saturday on the way to the market and looks busy enough.

Maybe I'm just thinking of myself. I haven't gone in there for years and never even saw what they did upstairs. But I haven't heard anyone mention going in there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Just came across a new-ish (opened since November) shop selling Spanish food and wine. Called Heart of Spain. It's in the Fota Retail Park (where Ballyseedy/Meadows and Byrne/Bakestone is) but right at the back so you'd never just happen upon it. Run by a very friendly Spanish guy. They sell some really good Spanish meats and cheeses as well as wine, preserves, oils, pates etc. They're also planning on doing tasting evenings soon enough I think. He's working on putting up some more signage so hopefully more people will find it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Drdenise75 wrote: »
    Just came across a new-ish (opened since November) shop selling Spanish food and wine. Called Heart of Spain. It's in the Fota Retail Park (where Ballyseedy/Meadows and Byrne/Bakestone is) but right at the back so you'd never just happen upon it. Run by a very friendly Spanish guy. They sell some really good Spanish meats and cheeses as well as wine, preserves, oils, pates etc. They're also planning on doing tasting evenings soon enough I think. He's working on putting up some more signage so hopefully more people will find it!

Saw that recently as live nearby, will definitely try it out soon. Is it restaurant or can you buy stuff like it's a shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Drdenise75 wrote: »
    Will definitely check that place out, just checking now and I'm actually glad to see they're only open Friday-Sunday, if it was open all week you'd wonder how they'd survive but starting slow like that is a good idea to get a name built up and some regular customers! Will aim for next Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Does anybody know if the Born shop in Douglas will have mens stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

The Liam Russells building on Oliver Plunkett Street recently sold. Be interesting to see what goes in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see the old Centra in Douglas has gone back up To Let with a quick coat of paint on the front

Apparently the restaurant that had agreed to take it pulled out due to the time its taken to repair the water leak/contamination issue and also insurance issues because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Mushy wrote: »
    Saw that recently as live nearby, will definitely try it out soon. Is it restaurant or can you buy stuff like it's a shop?

It's not a restaurant, just shop. But he had samples out for tasting so you could have a little nibble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

I see the old Centra in Douglas has gone back up To Let with a quick coat of paint on the front

Apparently the restaurant that had agreed to take it pulled out due to the time its taken to repair the water leak/contamination issue and also insurance issues because of it.

Interesting, thats the same restaurant that pulled out of taking the old bank directly across the road from Barrys a few years ago as well.
    I presume you are talking about the restaurant that are getting poor enough reviews on here at the moment?

Dbu wrote: »
    Interesting, thats the same restaurant that pulled out of taking the old bank directly across the road from Barrys a few years ago as well.
    I presume you are talking about the restaurant that are getting poor enough reviews on here at the moment?

Not sure, I thought I heard it was Il Padrino

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Not sure, I thought I heard it was Il Padrino

Yes thats the one

I hope something opens up there soon. That whole side of the village is very depressing to look at. It could do with a new lease of life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I list this one as JD Sports is apparently due to open in the former A-Wear premises on Patrick Street in Cork City.

I think JD Sports took over from Champion Sports and are currently based to the rear of the Savoy Centre.

Should be good to see another premises occupied in this part of Patrick Street.

Not sure why the photo image used in the below article is focused on the former "Quills" store and previous to that, it was once "Lester's" Chemist for many years until around the mid '90's. A-Wear was never located where that Quill's store operated from what I recall. The A-Wear store was at the other side of the entrance to the Savoy Shopping Centre. I think if A-Wear went into the building that at one time operated as Eason's booksellers which later transferred to it's present site in late '80's although; there may have been another retailer (perhaps it was Alan Best menswear) in it after Eason's moved up a few doors.

It's been a while since I was walking through Patrick Street - Not sure if any there have been any announcements made regarding the building that once traded as Quill's?

source:
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/JD-Sports-to-expand-their-Savoy-store-onto-Patrick-Street-88955e07-e638-4526-815c-001d797d7be4-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I list this one as JD Sports is apparently due to open in the former A-Wear premises on Patrick Street in Cork City.

I think JD Sports took over from Champion Sports and are currently based to the rear of the Savoy Centre.

Should be good to see another premises occupied in this part of Patrick Street.

Not sure why the photo image used in the below article is focused on the former "Quills" store and previous to that, it was once "Lester's" Chemist for many years until around the mid '90's. A-Wear was never located where that Quill's store operated from what I recall. The A-Wear store was at the other side of the entrance to the Savoy Shopping Centre. I think if A-Wear went into the building that at one time operated as Eason's booksellers which later transferred to it's present site in late '80's although; there may have been another retailer (perhaps it was Alan Best menswear) in it after Eason's moved up a few doors.

It's been a while since I was walking through Patrick Street - Not sure if any there have been any announcements made regarding the building that once traded as Quill's?

source:
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/JD-Sports-to-expand-their-Savoy-store-onto-Patrick-Street-88955e07-e638-4526-815c-001d797d7be4-ds
    Another sports store :s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Another sports store :s

Yay! All we need now are a few more beauticians and doughnut shops, and we're set.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Like every other high street soon

• Advertisement

Any word on the new restaurant in Mahon Point?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Albeit "only a" salon, but good to see one of the many units in the Ballincollig new town centre filled.

It's to the left of Heatons, or Sports Direct as it's now called.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Bodega has gained planning for a micro distillary

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bodega has gained planning for a micro distillary

Yes, I saw that. Finally.
    It's a pity I don't like any of Benny's beers.

His Soma stout is good though, but only served in Impala.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Mountain Warehouse has opened in the Old Lifestyle (and before that River island) unit on Patrick Street.

Great to see that unit occupied again with a two story retail use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yes, I saw that. Finally.
    It's a pity I don't like any of Benny's beers.

His Soma stout is good though, but only served in Impala.

He was planning on making rum in the bodega.

His beers are hit and miss I had a coffee stout and it as nice but his ipas are nasty

An Bord Pleanala extending the decision date for the Lidl application in Barry's Field, now due by 21st March 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

satanta99 wrote: »
    Mountain Warehouse has opened in the Old Lifestyle (and before that River island) unit on Patrick Street.

Great to see that unit occupied again with a two story retail use

Even just to get the gypsy's out of the doorway

Advertisement