Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Rather ironic they sell outdoor clothing and the first gust of wind takes the Mountain Warehouse sign down :D

mw1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rather ironic they sell outdoor clothing and the first gust of wind takes the Mountain Warehouse sign down :D
    mw.jpg

Omg that’s bad!! Not very well secured!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, was going past yesterday afternoon and there were a couple of gardaí staring at the problem. :)

Fairly shocking to fall down after just a week(?). Could have given someone a fair old whack if they were underneath at the time! I'm half surprised no one has chanced their arm, climbed under the sign and started moaning about compo. (* be right back. Have to see a man about a thing..)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BazzFan123

When I passed it just after it had opened part of it had already become loose. It wasn't a nice sign anyway, hopefully this time they put more work into it. The sooner that building is freed from a bank and two floors of retail and amalgamated into one big retail (and painted) the better

Just reading the planning application that Merchants Quay have in for changes to the front of the building and change of use for the old Kylemore restaurant.

"Permission is also sought for the change of use of the former Kylemore restaurant at first floor level to a licensed restaurant with a new direct pedestrian access from St. Patricks Street, which will incorporate a new access lift, and all necessary site works, including reconfiguration of existing fire escape stair, and plant area at roof level. "

merchants.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That's hideous...

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Fat Face isn't closing after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fat Face isn't closing after all.

Funny you say that cos I saw someone in town the other day with a fat face bag and I was wondering because I had heard that it had closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

leahyl wrote: »
    Funny you say that cos I saw someone in town the other day with a fat face bag and I was wondering because I had heard that it had closed.

Ya it's a strange one. Not sure why they changed their minds? I think they said they will be closed for a few days to get back up to scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Ya it's a strange one. Not sure why they changed their minds? I think they said they will be closed for a few days to get back up to scratch.

The planned closure was down to a rent review/issue. They never wanted to shut the shop, they posted on their Facebook at the time that they hoped to secure a new city premises even then.

Fast forward to the weekend and Fat Face said on Facebook that the issue is resolved - no additional details given - but its good news for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The Polish supermarket in the old Dailys in Douglas has closed. There looked to be work going on inside there though. Hopefully something good goes in. With the new coffee shop and Kubo that area has some potential.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

snotboogie wrote: »
    The Polish supermarket in the old Dailys in Douglas has closed. There looked to be work going on inside there though. Hopefully something good goes in. With the new coffee shop and Kubo that area has some potential.

Hopefully the new layout of the parking will help whoever is going in there. It was a busy road to be reversing out into traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Polish supermarket closed in blackpool recently as well wonder are lidl/aldi affecting them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

snotboogie wrote: »

It now has a to let sign up, so I guess the workers were just clearing it out. The xtravision on the Main Street had work going on yesterday, there is planning permission for a medical centre there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ofcork wrote: »
    Polish supermarket closed in blackpool recently as well wonder are lidl/aldi affecting them too.

They moved out to the retail space in Blackpool - opposite Aldi!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sports fashion brand Gym+Coffee is opening in Cork - but has put its UK plans on ice - Fora (via TheJournal.ie) - https://fora.ie/gym-plus-coffee-cork-store-4555495-Mar2019/

Opening in Mahon Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

heard there is a coffee shop opening up the top of Patricks hill there by the field area - end of one of the terraces. be interesting to see how it works out … especially with traffic - drive there a lot and always said potential for some sort of Coffee station to cater for all the tourists that head up there for the City view .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One would be thirty and anxious to sit down having climbed the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Water John wrote: »
    One would be thirty and anxious to sit down having climbed the hill.

ha that is true - the old shop that used to be there ( now a building for graffiti !) would be a better fit really than the middle of the hill - in any case good to see something been tried out up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think Carraig Donn is opening in Merchants Quay on Friday the 29th or the 5th. (I've seen both dates.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Merchants Quay is very tired and dated. The configuration of the mall and the units simply don’t meet the needs of most 21st century retailers. Plus the frontage to Merchants Quay is dead frontage.

IMo it needs complete demolition and rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Laura Ashley is moving to Turners Cross retail park. It will probably be much larger and will stock paints/etc.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Merchants Quay is very tired and dated. The configuration of the mall and the units simply don’t meet the needs of most 21st century retailers. Plus the frontage to Merchants Quay is dead frontage.

IMo it needs complete demolition and rebuild.

There is planning for that!!

ofcork wrote: »
    There is planning for that!!

Only active planning I've seen is for a change to the frontage and a new restaurant https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109719107&postcount=1266

Can't imagine they would do that if there's a wider plan

Change of layout internally was also part of the planning originally.

Bark and Bumble seems to be gone. There's a new sign over the door saying Coffee Avenue.

Didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

That's a pity. I meant to call in but never got around to it. Lack of parking would have put me off. Somewhere near a dog walking area would have been a better location.

happyday wrote: »
    That's a pity. I meant to call in but never got around to it. Lack of parking would have put me off. Somewhere near a dog walking area would have been a better location.

Agreed, I thought it was a nice idea but a terrible location for it. There's no parking so it was restricted to locals and their dogs. Restricted is probably the wrong word. You didn't need a dog to go in there but I'd say people thought you did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

You didn't need a dog to go in there but I'd say people thought you did.
    And for others, having dogs in the cafe was unappealing. The earlier suggestion, of a location where people would walk their dog, probably would make more sense.

Advertisement