Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

this seems to be a new one unless they took it down during repaint

Does it still have the to let sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

snotboogie wrote: »

Actually come to think of it I don't think it does. I'll be down there later so will check

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

snotboogie wrote: »

There was still a To Let sign up last night when I passed it - they've a line on it that theres full planning permission for a restaurant which I think is new, or at least, I dont remember seeing that on it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

There's a coffee place after opening in the old bark and bumble place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Still work going on in the old specsavers on cook street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mahon Jack ane Jones is opening the 11th and Gym+Coffee is opening on the 13th!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

New coffee shop on Washington Street where Loving Salads was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cotts72

New coffee shop on Washington Street where Loving Salads was.

Brew 132... Had it this morning, wasn't really impressed! Bit above garage style coffee in taste. Much nicer coffee shops about town! Its early days tho so could be teething stage yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Brew 132... Had it this morning, wasn't really impressed! Bit above garage style coffee in taste. Much nicer coffee shops about town! Its early days tho so could be teething stage yet

That's a shame - did you catch a look at what brand of coffee they are selling?

That's a shame - did you catch a look at what brand of coffee they are selling?

No unfortunately not, was just opening up! Era im a bit of a snob at times with coffee, will defo pop back again to give a 2nd go

• Advertisement

Cotts72 wrote: »
    No unfortunately not, was just opening up! Era im a bit of a snob at times with coffee, will defo pop back again to give a 2nd go

I'm a snob all the time with coffee so always curious to see what is out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pink Moon up the road (next to the Kino) do good coffee. Surely we have enough coffee shops now?

There's a mediterranean retail food place going into the copy shop and the adjoining unit that was next to costigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It amazes me how often people open cafés without ever realising that they need to learn how to make decent coffee.

I've seen some really, really clueless people making coffee in cafés.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Debenhams UK have gone into administration. Irish shops are okay for now, hopefully they pull through.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/business-as-usual-at-irish-debenhams-as-group-up-for-sale-1.3854955?mode=amp

It amazes me how often people open cafés without ever realising that they need to learn how to make decent coffee.

I've seen some really, really clueless people making coffee in cafés.

I'm always surprised by the amount of restaurants that put a lot of effort into the quality of their food offering and then neglect the coffee, tea, drinks, etc.

How many places in Cork can you go in, check a menu and see Rosscaberry this, English Market that, and then the coffee is some stock stuff coming from a push-button espresso machine? There's a surprisingly large amount.

Given the number of really good coffee shops and coffee roasters on our doorstep, it is a shame that some restaurants haven't started to step up their game in this sense too.

rob316 wrote: »
    Pink Moon up the road (next to the Kino) do good coffee. Surely we have enough coffee shops now?

There's a mediterranean retail food place going into the copy shop and the adjoining unit that was next to costigans.
    Ive heard someone else in work say this today, must check it out

The I scream ice cream kiosk in Douglas Court is closing. Its up as a rental opportunity €15k per annum

Also closing is the Carry Out on the Douglas Road which is a real surprise - they are suggesting use as a restaurant subject to planning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The I scream ice cream kiosk in Douglas Court is closing. Its up as a rental opportunity €15k per annum

Also closing is the Carry Out on the Douglas Road which is a real surprise - they are suggesting use as a restaurant subject to planning

Galvins?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

The old Specsavers unit is being fitted out for JD Sports. Looks ready to open soon.

Good to see an empty unit occupied. It may be a short term lease until their Champion Sports unit in the Savoy has been redeveloped and combined with the old A-Wear unit on Patrick’s Street. This is currently in planning and additional information was provided by the developer on 5th April.

There is interesting information in the further details provided to the council. It mentions that the whole redevelopment or the Quills, Savoy and A-Wear block is being applied for in separate phases. One reason for this is that there is a risk of losing the anchor tenant if redevelopment doesn’t proceed on the combination of the Champion Sports unit with the A-Wear unit soon.

The planning reference for this application is 1838168

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm always surprised by the amount of restaurants that put a lot of effort into the quality of their food offering and then neglect the coffee, tea, drinks, etc.

How many places in Cork can you go in, check a menu and see Rosscaberry this, English Market that, and then the coffee is some stock stuff coming from a push-button espresso machine? There's a surprisingly large amount.

Given the number of really good coffee shops and coffee roasters on our doorstep, it is a shame that some restaurants haven't started to step up their game in this sense too.

I don’t have an issue with this. Nobody goes to a restaurant for the tea or coffee. Chefs couldn’t give a fiddlers as long as it’s good enough, doesn’t get in their way and as importantly, is consistent. If you go to the Fat Duck you’ll get served Nespresso at the end of your meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don’t have an issue with this. Nobody goes to a restaurant for the tea or coffee. Chefs couldn’t give a fiddlers as long as it’s good enough, doesn’t get in their way and as importantly, is consistent. If you go to the Fat Duck you’ll get served Nespresso at the end of your meal.

Restaurants also don't want ones sitting around sipping coffee for day.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Shame, that little kiosk has been there for years.

é

No, of course not but it's a simple thing that can make a difference, especially when places boast about great produce - we have great local coffee roasters too so they would fit well on the menu.

There's plenty of great restaurants, bars and cafés in town so little things can make a difference. I know when I'm going for brunch, I definitely like to factor in if I can get a nice cup of coffee or not, especially as menus are pretty similar across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

Brew 132 is run by the Chaplaincy Service in UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

good lord, so it (partially) is!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

mickmmc wrote: »

Thanks. Best to steer clear of there so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

mickmmc wrote: »

Jesus!

Wasn’t going to bother trying it as I usually stick to cafe depeche if around cork but will definitely pop into brew132 now to give it a bit of support!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I hear that Izz cafe is to open on George's Quay.
    Any truth to this?

I hope so, it's just around the corner from me! :)

Advertisement