Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

They were rumoured to be going in there yes, but a new one has now opened in Passage West so can't see that happening now. That area definitely needs some sprucing up. All of Douglas does really.

I was chatting with one of the local Councillors last week and according to him, Aldi is still going ahead in Douglas but they were waiting for the final verdict of the Lidl application.

That will also logjam the area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Has Born opened in Douglas yet?
    Have they men stuff if they have opened?

The only change I've seen is they've masked/painted off "early" from "Opening Early 2019".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

MrDerp wrote: »
    It’s An bord pleanala blocking it, not the council. Won’t matter who pushes for it. There’s one in Grange for anyone who desperately needs a Lidl, and it’s not on a lane.

And even more so - a one-way lane.

Anyone driving to/from Lidl would be needlessly routed through the village; pushing additional traffic through either Church Rd. & West Douglas St. junction, or the Fingerpost roundabout. They're busy enough as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I was chatting with one of the local Councillors last week and according to him, Aldi is still going ahead in Douglas but they were waiting for the final verdict of the Lidl application.

That will also logjam the area

Aldi own the site and have planning permission. It is by far the more egregious application. The Cinema site will make or break Douglas, I can't think of anything worse than an Aldi to go in there. Barry's field by comparison was far less important. If a Lidl in Barry's field would have stopped Aldi going into the cinema its a shame that it was turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

snotboogie wrote: »
    Aldi own the site and have planning permission. It is by far the more egregious application. The Cinema site will make or break Douglas, I can't think of anything worse than an Aldi to go in there. Barry's field by comparison was far less important. If a Lidl in Barry's field would have stopped Aldi going into the cinema its a shame that it was turned down.

Planning was granted way back in 2011 so no doubt traffic has increased since then yet there are no plans to change the road infrastructure. The entrance for Aldi is going to be on the road that goes from the roundabout to East Village. I can't see the roundabout holding all of that.

• Advertisement

Planning was granted way back in 2011 so no doubt traffic has increased since then yet there are no plans to change the road infrastructure. The entrance for Aldi is going to be on the road that goes from the roundabout to East Village. I can't see the roundabout holding all of that.

They were discussing the entrances as a last step around this time last year: http://www.corkindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2018/04/04/4154283-another-blow-for-douglas/ It's an absolute shame. A mixed use development with high density apartments, a hotel, office space and a public plaza, including the adjacent greenfield site would have been ideal, especially if it worked with CMATS for less car use. It could have revitalized "devillage" instead there will be a discount, low density shopping centre which adds nothing to the area except more traffic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Old Xtravision in Douglas being done up quickly, rumoured to be Lloyds Pharmacy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

JD Sports is opening 20th April!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Dbu wrote: »
    Old Xtravision in Douglas being done up quickly, rumoured to be Lloyds Pharmacy

Another pharmacy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Another pharmacy!

That's five I can count off the top of my head in about a 1km radius and I'm probably missing some. Back to an empty shop front pretty quick methinks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

JD Sports is opening 20th April!

Where? Don't we have a few of them already.

Italix wrote: »
    Where? Don't we have a few of them already.

It's the one in the city that has being discussed here. It's expanded I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

There’s a new JD branch going into the old cook street spec savers!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    There’s a new going into the old cook street spec savers!

A new what?

A new what?

JD. original post edited sorry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Looking forward to Izz Cafe opening on George's Quay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I seen over the weekend they are doing work on where pesto was on Paul St any ideas of wbat might be going in there?

Was in town at the weekend and saw Vodafone in the old cudmores shop is gone directing people to the other end of Winthrop Street

I seen over the weekend they are doing work on where pesto was on Paul St any ideas of wbat might be going in there?

I used to love eating there and called recently to see it was closed. How long is it gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I used to love eating there and called recently to see it was closed. How long is it gone?

I say over a year at this stage maybe longer as the front of the building has been falling down over the past year but anyway it be a nice building to who ever go's into it

• Advertisement

I say over a year at this stage maybe longer as the front of the building has been falling down over the past year but anyway it be a nice building to who ever go's into it

A year?? No way! I knew I hadn’t eaten there in awhile but I wouldn’t think it was that long in a fit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Was in town at the weekend and saw Vodafone in the old cudmores shop is gone directing people to the other end of Winthrop Street

Gone a few weeks now wonder why prime location rent??

ofcork wrote: »
    Gone a few weeks now wonder why prime location rent??

You would think keeping the Cudmores site is better for footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Library lane cafe in tory top road seems to have shut down. Shame, 'twas a nice little place for the community...

Don’t think it’s that long gone. Definitely less than a year and while I never go in there I only noticed it gone last week and I walk past it every now and then so I’d be thinking it’s only a few months gone at most.

The Grafton Bar seems to have closed, since Patrick's Day (ish) I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Augeo wrote: »
    The Grafton Bar seems to have closed, since Patrick's Day (ish) I'm told.

No harm in that!

There seems to be a lot more closing than opening, especially in the last month

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot more closing than opening, especially in the last month
    Must be all that added enforcement of the Pana Ban.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Must be all that added enforcement of the Pana Ban.

bad karma from the proc article boasting about all the new businesses.

Advertisement