Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Izz cafe looks to be opening on Georges quay soon next to gelato. (They'd be at farmers markets)
    Palestinian food.
    Cinnamon buns are to die for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

leahyl wrote: »
    Cafe Torino in Washington Street is the same owners as Italee so maybe they decided just to keep there open and close one.

Oh? Thanks.
    I tried Torino once and didn't care for the pasta much.
    Might give it another go.

Izz definitely on my list though, as I live just around the corner and would like to see more investment in the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On Italee :
    I loved the food there when it opened first. I don't think they maintained that standard so we stopped going after about a year.

On Idaho :
    My issue is the way they treated a close friend of mine when she worked there years ago. Never darkened their door since.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Yer man in Idaho was complaining about the likes of Starbucks coming to town taking business from other coffee shops, yet he could afford to close on Sundays and Monday. No problem with closing when he chooses but he'd whinge about anything as if he's some sort of authority, bit of a John Grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Yer man in Idaho was complaining about the likes of Starbucks coming to town taking business from other coffee shops, yet he could afford to close on Sundays and Monday. No problem with closing when he chooses but he'd whinge about anything as if he's some sort of authority, bit of a John Grace.

Well said.

The type of clown that makes a big deal of opening at 8am instead of his usual 8.30am...

IMO any serious business serving coffee would be long open by 8am

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Mardyke wrote: »
    Well said.

The type of clown that makes a big deal of opening at 8am instead of his usual 8.30am...

See, this kind of thing, in this kind of detail, with this strength of feeling. I doubt he gives you a second thought. I'd not know he exists if it weren't for this forum and Idaho itself has to be the definition of unremarkable, no idea when I was there last, can't remember a thing about it but I'm sure it was grand, not great and basically indistinguishable from hundreds of places around the country.

It's just weird how wound up some people get about it/him and that ye all seem to be regular posters in this specific forum. I'm on other social media groups and pages about food in Cork and it doesn't come up, couldn't go two days on here.

Mardyke wrote: »
    Well said.

Now that I’ve learned the owner is against the pana ban I’ll even more want to support the place as I’m strongly against it also.

As for opening times, 8am is as early as the vast majority of places open aside from petrol stations. Sure who would be going into them before 8am or even 8:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Now that I’ve learned the owner is against the pana ban I’ll even more want to support the place as I’m strongly against it also.

As for opening times, 8am is as early as the vast majority of places open aside from petrol stations. Sure who would be going into them before 8am or even 8:30.

I think coffee roasters opens at 7.30. plenty of people including myself either work or travel to work before 8am,huge market for it instead of settling for average garage ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Clancy's after being bought by Paul Montgomery reopening as a bar etc run by sully both gone from reardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

See, this kind of thing, in this kind of detail, with this strength of feeling. I doubt he gives you a second thought. I'd not know he exists if it weren't for this forum and Idaho itself has to be the definition of unremarkable, no idea when I was there last, can't remember a thing about it but I'm sure it was grand, not great and basically indistinguishable from hundreds of places around the country.

It's just weird how wound up some people get about it/him and that ye all seem to be regular posters in this specific forum. I'm on other social media groups and pages about food in Cork and it doesn't come up, couldn't go two days on here.

I guess it's he consistently rubs people up the wrong way, mouthing off about something. I'm not sure if it drums up business for him but i've definitely been avoiding Idaho because of his outcryings/sense of authority. On twitter he's got over 78000 tweets! No wonder he gets mentioned quite a bit with that kind of profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

ofcork wrote: »
    Clancy's after being bought by Paul Montgomery reopening as a bar etc run by sully both gone from reardens.

Not surprised to hear they're gone after all the antics in there the last few weeks. Crazy stuff.

Tell us more ��

• Registered Users Posts: 18,039 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The ex wife is back on the prowl in there supposed to be hell. I see Paul in Dwyers now lots

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Someone allegedly got caught being unfaithful and that persons wife stormed into the business & personally fired the person he had been cheating with, as well as a few other female staff, in front of everyone.
    The decision was upheld & another senior manager as well as several staff walked out in protest over what was done. That's what on the rumour mill, at least.

According to the examiner article he wanted a new challenge so sold his interest in reardens to concentrate on dywers Clancy's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    On twitter he's got over 78000 tweets! No wonder he gets mentioned quite a bit with that kind of profile.

That should clear up any weirdness about him coming up in internet discussions. That's an awful lot of conversations to be in :pac:

He'd be one of the most prolific boardies with that count :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oooo. This Reardon's gossip is pure gold.

I'd imagine that there could be unfair dismissals cases coming if what was said here is true.

It's her husband she should have fired!

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Someone allegedly got caught being unfaithful and that persons wife stormed into the business & personally fired the person he had been cheating with, as well as a few other female staff, in front of everyone.
    The decision was upheld & another senior manager as well as several staff walked out in protest over what was done. That's what on the rumour mill, at least.

Jeez, taking no chances there

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

rob316 wrote: »
    The ex wife is back on the prowl in there supposed to be hell. I see Paul in Dwyers now lots
    SusieBlue wrote: »

So PM is gone from the wife now?

I heard she was wearing the pants big time as in running the whole show. Apparently the money came from her side with family etc...

Her father was a dentist iirc didn't pm and himself get onto property development Victoria cross/borennmanna road etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There's planning in for the Legion of Mary site on the corner of East village & East Douglas street

Its demolition of the LOM building as well as the old building on East Douglas to the right of Marcello's (opposite Bamboo House) with redevelopment of a new Legion of Mary building fronted by two retail units and apartments upstairs. Three stories which will match in with the Marcello building

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

There's planning in for the Legion of Mary site on the corner of East village & East Douglas street

Its demolition of the LOM building as well as the old building on East Douglas to the right of Marcello's (opposite Bamboo House) with redevelopment of a new Legion of Mary building fronted by two retail units and apartments upstairs. Three stories which will match in the the Marcello building

Kinda brave, considering that entire side of the street seems to be a graveyard for businesses.

who_me wrote: »
    Kinda brave, considering that entire side of the street seems to be a graveyard for businesses.

I believe they own most of the site and purchased the eyesore building fairly cheaply so maybe not such a huge risk. They are probably just close enough to east Village to get an East Village address which may make them more attractive.

ofcork wrote: »

That must be really recent ? Colin Ross has owned Clancy's since the late '90s but leased it out around 2011 ish.

He gained planning permission for an 18 bed hotel about a year ago so I'm surprised he's sold out

Izz cafe looks to be opening on Georges quay soon next to gelato. (They'd be at farmers markets)
    Palestinian food.
    Cinnamon buns are to die for.

They're open by the looks of things
    Early too in the mornings. Must pop in for a cinnamon bun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

They're open by the looks of things
    Early too in the mornings. Must pop in for a cinnamon bun.

Sounds gorgeous! I must give it a go.

That must be really recent ? Colin Ross has owned Clancy's since the late '90s but leased it out around 2011 ish.

He gained planning permission for an 18 bed hotel about a year ago so I'm surprised he's sold out

Examiner had it last week I assume paul m and his investors must have offered big money.

Planning in for a new restaurant on Macurtain Street. It's for change of use from offices currently on the ground floor under Star woods. No idea who's behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Planning in for a new restaurant on Macurtain Street. It's for change of use from offices currently on the ground floor under Star woods. No idea who's behind it

Anyone know when the new craft beer place is going into the red brick building next door?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

snotboogie wrote: »
    Anyone know when the new craft beer place is going into the red brick building next door?

I think it might be Cotton Ball. The pub in Mayfield. They make their own range of beers. I'm not a fan though.

Advertisement