Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Shopping online for clothes is idiotic and ill advised. What if the item(s) doesn’t fit or look like the advertised product?

At least in a bricks and mortar shop you can go in, try things on, look and check them up close before you buy.

Nonsense! In fairness.

Notwithstanding you can get stuff online you cant get in Cork or Ireland, theres little problem returning stuff unless you've bought a ball-gag from www.achmedsdodgybazzar.com

The wife has ordered stuff from Next aroubd 21.00 hrs some evenings. Courier is pulling up outside the gaff as im making the kids breakfast the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Shopping online for clothes is idiotic and ill advised. What if the item(s) doesn’t fit or look like the advertised product?

At least in a bricks and mortar shop you can go in, try things on, look and check them up close before you buy.

Honestly, that's been exactly my experience. I rarely buy clothes online for that reason (plus I like to support local businesses).

I did find an online store that had a lot of clothes I couldn't find anywhere in Ireland so tried it. And the experience was just as frustrating as I expected - slightly too big/too small, the material looked different in the online photos etc..

Which is why the physical stores closing bothers me so much.

I buy shoes online....... great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Some people are more particular about fit and cut than other people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,039 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In my experience we have ASOS premier at home, €20 a year sub, free next day delivery and free returns. Don't return much but when I do you just print off the label and drop it to the local centra/post office.

Hard to beat that to be honest and not difficult to see why retail is struggling. Then you have others who go into a shop for branded item, try it on and just search for the lowest price online and order from there.

I would be one those that absolutely hates going shopping for clothes so online is always my first port of call, except for jeans which I only buy from GAP and are always on sale.

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    So much for the convenience of buying online.. And if the store closes because no one is buying there and they have no physical store to do size swaps / exchanges, it becomes even less convenient.

Its plenty easier, I don't have to leave home, I can do it from my laptop or phone. I live in the city center but if I lived outside it and had to actually drive in there, park or get a bus I'd never go. Free returns via courier that you can drop off in any corner shop/post office is the way its going to go for the multiples. Might sound like an expensive service but it pales in comparison to the upkeep, staff, rent, rates and every other overhead that goes with a major high street retail store.

I run an ecommerce store, its gives me far less headaches than the far smaller retail store we run. The time saved not actually dealing with a transaction or interaction face to face is huge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I can understand how online shopping can be easier and more convenient, but spare a thought for the city Centre streets that will be devoid of retail activity and thousands of jobs lost and those unable or unwilling to buy clothes online being massively inconvenienced....

...is that what you would want?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Is there any update on the restaurant going into Mahon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I can understand how online shopping can be easier and more convenient, but spare a thought for the city Centre streets that will be devoid of retail activity and thousands of jobs lost and those unable or unwilling to buy clothes online being massively inconvenienced....

I’ve to spend more of my money to protect someone else’s job or their private business? No thanks.
    Things need to change in the retail sector; expecting people to spend more money on the same item isn’t the way.
    I remember public money wasted by pumping it into Irish Steel to secure local jobs; and the jobs went anyway. Business has to change to meet the challenge of online shopping, not the customer.

That's pretty much the way it's going to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The quality of clothes today in most of the shops is terrible. Maybe if they lowered their prices and produced better quality they would get more business. I buy all my dresses online and I say only for online I probably wouldn’t be able to find a nice dress in town for the life of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

fin12 wrote: »
    The quality of clothes today in most of the shops is terrible. Maybe if they lowered their prices and produced better quality they would get more business. I buy all my dresses online and I say only for online I probably wouldn’t be able to find a nice dress in town for the life of me.

OT but can you recommend a few websites fin12 please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

happyday wrote: »
    OT but can you recommend a few websites fin12 please?

Ya Littlewoods Ireland. Find their sizing and quality very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Looks like we will soon see another void filled on Patrick St.

The former Pairs shoe store has been let and it looks like there is some work going on there at the moment.

https://www.property.ie/commercial-property/121-St-Patricks-Street-Cork-City-Co-Cork/598764/

Also spotted a new Indoor crazy golf place called Captain Greens listed as taking up a vacant unit in Eastgate Retail Park, between the Trampoline place and the new Tubs and Tiles store. http://eastgate.ie/retail/

That will leave only one empty unit left in the park. Maybe a location for Jysk danish homestore? They announced plans to open 20 stores in Ireland.

satanta99 wrote: »

That will leave only one empty unit left in the park. Maybe a location for Jysk danish homestore? They announced plans to open 20 stores in Ireland.

I'm not 100% sure but I think their Portlaoise store is just in a large unit in their shopping center so retail parks may not be their only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

satanta99 wrote: »
    Looks like we will soon see another void filled on Patrick St.

The former Pairs shoe store has been let and it looks like there is some work going on there at the moment.

https://www.property.ie/commercial-property/121-St-Patricks-Street-Cork-City-Co-Cork/598764/

New nail bar..money in nails obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

Dbu wrote: »
    New nail bar..money in nails obviously

well have you seen the queues outside some of the nail places? crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Nails are a constantly growing market I suppose :D:pac::D

The old Zerep unit is up for rent as well.

It would be great to see those empty units occupied again. They really detract from that end of Patrick's St.

When JD Sports open their new unit and Quills and the rest of the Savoy are redeveloped or combined it will provide another much needed boost to that side of the street

Cork is so lucky to have not 1 not 2 but 3 hillbilly’s everything I want a tender meal I have to go from limerick to Ennis or Cork for it

There food is so good

Mahon Point!
    61708317_10156502745177060_6677136297879928832_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=4797ca9aa40a9d6650c38e6549ec0ab0&oe=5D9F68CB

Douglas Village!
    61495739_2899982230227123_8573713458300715008_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=d3da6e057f82bc83264c4610de2c6a14&oe=5D8D611F

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

I could of sworn they were in Mahon point already.
    Nice to see M&S investing more in Douglas, I really like the place.

Italix wrote: »
    I could of sworn they were in Mahon point already.

They are, it's a referb/re-branding!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Is there any update on the restaurant going into Mahon?

Has anyone heard anything? I wonder if they have anything set up at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Praying the new restaurant is a Five Guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

snotboogie wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything? I wonder if they have anything set up at all?
    SusieBlue wrote: »
    Praying the new restaurant is a Five Guys!!

I'm about 95% sure people previously said it was going to be a Ramen but that was a good while ago now

JohnK wrote: »
    I'm about 95% sure people previously said it was going to be a Ramen but that was a good while ago now

I heard both Ramen and 5 Guys. 5 Guys was written off because there were no ads for jobs showing up in Cork while there were for their new restaurant in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Laura Ashely has signs up in the vacant car showroom on Kinsale Rd/Tramore Rd Junction (opp McDonald's)....'opening early summer...'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Wicked vapes opening in douglas Court shopping centre. Those vape shops are the new donut craze

Signage up for the new pharmacy in the xtravision space in Douglas Village

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭ofcork

Boots in trouble in the uk could affect irish stores down the line.

Advertisement