Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I suppose like most UK chains, they find the Irish wing far more profitable. I presume the Irish stores are under a separate co.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Just over at Homestore & More at Turners Cross (Woodies site) and see Laura Ashley opening shortly in the old Mercedes garage, but more interestingly the sign at the entrance now lists DID electrical but no sign of them on site although there is work on the last unit to the left of Homestore.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,571 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was looking at the Mahon Point floor plan last updated in May.
    On the empty Restaurant it just says Vacant previously is said Vacant(New Restaurant opening soon).

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Just over at Homestore & More at Turners Cross (Woodies site) and see Laura Ashley opening shortly in the old Mercedes garage, but more interestingly the sign at the entrance now lists DID electrical but no sign of them on site although there is work on the last unit to the left of Homestore.

That DID electrical sign has been up for a couple of years. They announced they were opening, but nothing happened.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/doors-opening-in-new-phase-of-cork-retail-warehousing-441743.html

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Strip out of the former Laura Ashley unit in Merchants Quay looks to have commenced today. Summerhill Construction are onsite.

Part of that unit will be siphoned off to create independent access to the new restaurant unit upstairs.

Good to see something happen with the unit because it's been empty for a few weeks and gives the centre a derelict look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭valoren

Water John wrote: »
    I suppose like most UK chains, they find the Irish wing far more profitable. I presume the Irish stores are under a separate co.

Parent company is Walgreens Boots Alliance. So long as Irish Boots stores aren't losing money they won't be closed and unaffected by UK retail figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

valoren wrote: »
    Parent company is Walgreens Boots Alliance. So long as Irish Boots stores aren't losing money they won't be closed and unaffected by UK retail figures.

Trouble is relative here as well, Boots by their nature aren't exposed in the same way as Debenhams was. Having said that, do they need a location in Patrick St. when they're in Half Moon St. and Merchant's Quay as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

Someone on radio from English market says she knows of another business closing in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Be right back

Just saw today that Paper Dolls ( clothes shop ) is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Just saw today that Paper Dolls ( clothes shop ) is closed.

Sad to see a business close but I can't say I'm remotely surprised.
    I know it was a boutique but I saw a promotional feature they did in the Echo a few months ago and the prices of their stock was absolutely off the chain.

I recall seeing a basic white ladies shirt for about €300, plain black leather boots for €550 and a trench coat for just under a grand.
    It was the most basic of outfits and it would set you back nearly 2 grand before you buy a pair of pants to go with it!

You could buy Gucci, Prada, Alexander McQueen etc. and other well known established designer brands for that kind of money.
    Only a very niche market would be willing or able to afford to shop in there.

I don't think there's enough wealth in Cork to sustain that kind of pricing in an independent store that isn't part of a chain.
    I'm very into fashion but would never spend that kind of money on clothes..And if I did, its Brown Thomas I'd be going to.

• Advertisement

The Cornish fashion and lifestyle chain Seasalt is opening its first store outside the U.K. in Clonakilty https://fashionunited.uk/news/retail/seasalt-to-open-first-store-outside-uk-in-county-cork/2019061143607

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

satanta99 wrote: »
    The Cornish fashion and lifestyle chain Seasalt is opening its first store outside the U.K. in Clonakilty https://fashionunited.uk/news/retail/seasalt-to-open-first-store-outside-uk-in-county-cork/2019061143607

That's good.

Would love to see cornish pasties on sale here though. Pie shops all over UK.

They'd have a market here.

Very sad to see that Les Gourmandises has closed after 18 years trading

Planning notice gone up on 110 Patrick Street which was most recently occupied by Calendar Club

Unit details here: https://www.commercial-listings.cbre.ie/en-IE/listings/retail/details/IE-AdminUI-198/110-patrick-street-co-cork?view=isLetting

Three Ireland are looking to replace the shopfront and install new signage.

Looks like There want to move from the unit next door. They will free up their current unit to possibly be developed as part of the Savoy and Quills site.

Also Builders Signage gone up in the window of Quills from Summerhill Construction who appear to be doing the new JD Sports Outlet and the creation of the entrance to the new restaurant unit from the Old Laura Ashley unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Really? Theres nothing on their website!:confused:

Announced just after lunch on Facebook & Twitter

Les Gourmandises
    @LGourmandises
    After 18 years of business on Cook ,Les Gourmandises restaurant has closed .
    We wish yo thank you our staff ,our suppliers & also our fabulous customers who support us over the years .
    1:25 PM · Jun 18, 2019 · Twitter for Android

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Sad to see. It's a place I rarely dined, but it's good to have more options around the city. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Born finally seem to be making a move on their Douglas Village shopping centre store, the front is barricaded off and covered off in plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

who_me wrote: »
    Born finally seem to be making a move on their Douglas Village shopping centre store, the front is barricaded off and covered off in plastic.

The Pharmacy in the long derelict xtravision nearby has opened too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

snotboogie wrote: »
    who_me wrote: »

Saw that today, passing by. Looks good! Great to see something in the unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Balls. I texted my wife around 12 today; saying that we should try and go there either this weekend or next, as it’d been ages since we’d been. Their sweet corn soup still stands out as the best soup I’ve ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

Maybe that's the one Neil p referred to this morning apparently head chef is moving on.

ofcork wrote: »
    Maybe that's the one Neil p referred to this morning apparently head chef is moving on.

Yep Pat Kiely is chef/owner & he's taken a job in a 5 star hotel apparently. RAI only recently voted him best chef in Cork but it sounds as though trading was fairly tough and he wanted an easier life - can't blame him really, just a shame to lose a good restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

brilliant, in general we need more pharmacies :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Falveys won’t be happy _ right across the road.

Who has it, is it one of the chains ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Dbu

Who has it, is it one of the chains ?

Cara pharmacy I think, your one Ramona from dragons den owns it afaik
    Some amount of pharmacies in Douglas now.

There was rumour that the one further up next to the Carry Out may be closing, there seems to be a rent issue with the owner which led to the dry cleaners closing and the Carry Out unit now up for let.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

There was rumour that the one further up next to the Carry Out may be closing, there seems to be a rent issue with the owner which led to the dry cleaners closing and the Carry Out unit now up for let.

Planning has gone in for a medical centre in the carry out unit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

brilliant, in general we need more pharmacies :rolleyes:
    Could be worse, could have been another trackie shop.

Advertisement