Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There's planning in to amalgamate the two units (41 & 42) between O'Briens and Gamestop in Douglas court with a 2nd story extension for storage,

I know iScream was unit 42 but can't remember what was in the bigger unit to the left (or still is) - both are showing as available on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

There's planning in to amalgamate the two units (41 & 42) between O'Briens and Gamestop in Douglas court with a 2nd story extension for storage,

I know iScream was unit 42 but can't remember what was in the bigger unit to the left (or still is) - both are showing as available on the website

according to this image on the website of HWBC (the crowd in charge of renting out units) unit 41 and 42 are the two units next to iscream so it's either unit 40 or 43 or a mini non numbered unit:

483137.png

also looks like Next may be following vodafone and making an exit to mahon point only too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Wasn't there a post here a few months ago that the Ice Cream place in Douglas Court was closing? I wonder when/if they will do up the Dunnes in Douglas Court? It seems like an obvious choice for one of their makeovers. Maybe the state of the building itself is turning them off. Looking at the map above it's amazing that they have been able to keep some of the names they have in such a decrepit shopping centre. Maybe a development is possible? They could cut down on some of the retail space, focusing on a new building for dunnes and one or two more units and then build apartments?

Any news on the Germans building another supermarket on the Cinema site? Hopefully that planning runs out without anything happening.

Gru wrote: »
    according to this image on the website of HWBC (the crowd in charge of renting out units) unit 41 and 42 are the two units next to iscream so it's either unit 40 or 43 or a mini non numbered unit:

483137.png

also looks like Next may be following vodafone and making an exit to mahon point only too

Actually yes, iScream is the kiosk not one of the units. The map is slightly out of date as thinking on it (I'm rarely in Douglas Court) McCarthys moved some time ago from the unit next to AIB into either unit 41 or 42, so they are one of the units affected. I'm presuming the fact they are going for planning to amalgamate they have a new tenant lined up

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It might end up being Dealz clothes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Milanos is going into the vacant restaurant unit in Mahon Point. Opening in September.

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Milanos is going into the vacant restaurant unit in Mahon Point. Opening in September.

Wow, where did you see that, they will be jammed

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Argos is due to leave the City Center by November next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Wow, where did you see that, they will be jammed
    483178.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Dazza wrote: »
    Argos is due to leave the City Center by November next.

Where'd you hear that? That'd be a very big unit to be empty in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Anyone know anyrhing about source?read an article in Jan that it was meant to open under a new gym in April. No sign of that and cant find anything online either!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Mahony0509 wrote: »

Interesting. They always seem to be giving away vouchers/discounts for there but maybe that's more indication of how Pizza Express is doing in UK

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Anyone know anyrhing about source?read an article in Jan that it was meant to open under a new gym in April. No sign of that and cant find anything online either!

What unit are you talking about? Argos in the city?

snotboogie wrote: »
    What unit are you talking about? Argos in the city?

Sorry didnt realise it wasnt that clear.
    Source gym that was in siversprings.
    It was meant to reopen in april under a new management or something but didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Milano should do fairly well. That last Italian they had there was disappointing.

It was meant to have closed suddenly. The cleaners/etc weren't meant to have being told.

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Sorry didnt realise it wasnt that clear.
    Source gym that was in siversprings.
    It was meant to reopen in april under a new management or something but didnt

Opening soon according to my friend was is a member. I wasn’t really paying attention though so I’m not sure of the date

snotboogie wrote: »
    Opening soon according to my friend was is a member. I wasn’t really paying attention though so I’m not sure of the date

Hope so! Just down the road so it would be handy to have it open again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Milano should do fairly well. That last Italian they had there was disappointing.

It was meant to have closed suddenly. The cleaners/etc weren't meant to have being told.

Yeah their food is fine. Think it's a bit bland and pricey for what it is but the quality is good and you know what you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

FLYEfit opening in the big glass building across from the Oliver Plunkett bar in January. Will be interesting to see how it does. Always wondered why that building has been vacant for so long. https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/flyefit-opens-three-new-gyms-including-one-in-cork-as-part-of-6m-expansion-plan-37506324.html

Closed already - only opened in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭J82

Closed already - only opened in May.

Website says "ReOpening Soon". Wonder why tge closure? Anyone visited it while it was open??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

There is a power problem with the building. It seems to be related to the unoccupied portion on the corner as that is where the workmen always are. Everyone is having their membership refunded and will, according to the email I got, be allowed rejoin at the presale price with no joining fee and an extra 2 weeks free. I hope it reopens as I liked it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cotts72

There is a power problem with the building. It seems to be related to the unoccupied portion on the corner as that is where the workmen always are. Everyone is having their membership refunded and will, according to the email I got, be allowed rejoin at the presale price with no joining fee and an extra 2 weeks free. I hope it reopens as I liked it a lot.

That's not the only problem apparently...I'd heard it was never signed off on by engineer beforehand yet they still opened it. issues with the generator being below the building causing hassle with fumes and the neighbouring building. they cut a load of corners allegedly had smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms up that didn't even work either. Place sounded like a disaster waiting to happen

As for source its reopening in august I believe. being re-branded as District health and fitness. they are a chain from galway. they have a small bit up on their facebook about it.Im only down the road from it so eager for it reopen aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I see that the Vodafone/Cudmore's unit on St Patrick's/Winthrop St is vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Born clothing is opening on the 27th in douglas shopping Court, where the Old kids play area was

J82 wrote: »
    Website says "ReOpening Soon". Wonder why tge closure? Anyone visited it while it was open??

Yeah, joined up the week before it closed! Great gym, massive and lots of equipment. Really annoyed at the closure, I have to go back to my old gym which is more expensive and has a hell of a lot less equipment.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    That's not the only problem apparently...I'd heard it was never signed off on by engineer beforehand yet they still opened it. issues with the generator being below the building causing hassle with fumes and the neighbouring building. they cut a load of corners allegedly had smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms up that didn't even work either. Place sounded like a disaster waiting to happen

As for source its reopening in august I believe. being re-branded as District health and fitness. they are a chain from galway. they have a small bit up on their facebook about it.Im only down the road from it so eager for it reopen aswell!
    That district crowd run the gym in silversprings?
    Can't see flyefit throwing in the towel so soon with such an expensive fit out in Cork.
    Two million euro fit out apparently..
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/flyefit-gym-steps-up-to-themark-on-cork-city-street-stretch-918500.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Next in Douglas Court has a sign up saying they are closing for good. Very disappointing to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cotts72

That district crowd run the gym in silversprings?
    Can't see flyefit throwing in the towel so soon with such an expensive fit out in Cork.
    Two million euro fit out apparently..
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/flyefit-gym-steps-up-to-themark-on-cork-city-street-stretch-918500.html

Yeah they bought it at the end of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lukemaccy100

Milano's opening in Mahon Point!
    They're looking for staff on their website.
    Probably that unit downstairs next to Debenhams

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

New coffee bar on 107 Barrack Street, and of same name.

Visited on Saturday, very nice, little back yard area for sitting outside.

Badger and Dodo coffee.

IMG-20190622-144000.jpg

Advertisement