Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

Looks nice, will definitely give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Argos in the Queens Old Castle to close:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Argos-outlet-on-Grand-Parade-is-to-close-ffb69c5c-bf72-4bc9-8bae-8b388e00c2a0-ds

I think it was around 1998 when it opened. I remember delays due to the archeological digs on daunt square.

At the time it was a fantastic facility to have and in my own family anyway, was considered decent value compared to shops like Roches or Smyths.

Always a hassle to collect things from there. You'd usually see people wrestle their Argos bags onto the bus, belting off everyone's kneecaps on their way.

Back in the days before Amazon and the ease of ability to pay for online shopping, when we had Laser cards and their 19 digits with no CCV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,039 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't know what the grand plan in the city is for empty retail space. Someone might come in and take that unit but they'll be on borrowed time too.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The Subway on MacCurtain street seems to be gone now as well.

Even with online shopping Argos is a place I still find myself picking up bits and pieces fairly often. When I used to work in cork city Centre that one was handy as I’d often pop in on lunch but it’s not one you would go to especially due to parking etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think the Argos unit is large enough and it might suit something like DSYK. (I think they are a place that opens in shopping center/streets and not just retail parks).

Its a great shop, I'm always amazed at the level of stock they hold and generally a good price.
    They do alot of larger goods though too and without parking its just not possible. You cant even pull up outside anymore with the patrick st car ban, that really probably killed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Looks like a new food place is going in next to spitjack, windows say something like charcoal grill. Wonder what kind of place it'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

rob316 wrote: »
    You cant even pull up outside anymore with the patrick st car ban, that really probably killed them.
    I was for the ban (but not the crappy implementation by the council). The ban has done next to nothing in terms of killing it off. Online shopping is the biggest factor for a huge number of shops, esp with regards to prices, and the goods can be delivered to your door.
    With Amazon, it’s a handful of days before it’s in your hand. With something like AliExpress (which a large number of my friends are now using), if you are prepared to wait (or plan well in advance), there can be huge savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,176 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The amount of closed vacant premises on Patrick's Street, the main shopping street for Cork city is astonishing

Argos is a big loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The amount of closed vacant premises on Patrick's Street, the main shopping street for Cork city is astonishing

Argos is a big loss

Well, In a lot of cases the rates are higher than rent, so ask the City Council to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Its a great shop, I'm always amazed at the level of stock they hold and generally a good price.
    They do alot of larger goods though too and without parking its just not possible. You cant even pull up outside anymore with the patrick st car ban, that really probably killed them.

The fact people think you should be able to "pull up" on the main Street in a city is quite bizarre. What if we all decided to "pull up"?

Also I don't get this obsession about retail in Cork. To many people it's just seen as a giant shipping centre. Cities should be much much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Argos in the Queens Old Castle to close:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Argos-outlet-on-Grand-Parade-is-to-close-ffb69c5c-bf72-4bc9-8bae-8b388e00c2a0-ds

I think it was around 1998 when it opened. I remember delays due to the archeological digs on daunt square.

At the time it was a fantastic facility to have and in my own family anyway, was considered decent value compared to shops like Roches or Smyths.

Always a hassle to collect things from there. You'd usually see people wrestle their Argos bags onto the bus, belting off everyone's kneecaps on their way.

Back in the days before Amazon and the ease of ability to pay for online shopping, when we had Laser cards and their 19 digits with no CCV.

Back in 1998, most of us just paid by cash - I don't think I knew anyone with a debit card in the 90s and only a privileged few had a credit card.

Argos is more suited to retail parks or easy car parking locations. As you said, larger heavy purchases were a nightmare to carry through the busy streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It was an odd spot for it alright, if that unit is left empty it'll be awful looking though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

nerwen wrote: »
    Looks like a new food place is going in next to spitjack, windows say something like charcoal grill. Wonder what kind of place it'll be.

I dont know anything about this one down here but charcoal grill is a chipper franchise in galway. They have about 3 of them..hope its not them as its frozen chips/burgers and kebabs

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Have you any form of education at all?

Mardyke wrote: »
    Have you any form of education at all?

I’d say many are asking the same question about yourself after your performance on the pana ban thread :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Leave out the personal insults please, if ye cant discuss the topic in hand like grownups you will be removed from the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭ofcork

Seems to be work going on in the old serge blanco shop by tom murphys.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Jam Cafe is opening on Main Street in Ballincollig before the end of July

• Advertisement

Following the story about the collapsed building on North Main St and the Turkish barber its effecting.
    Council saying the falling building and the building on each side have to go, he's saying he had an structural engineer look at it and said its just the one building needs to be demolished.

Bone obvious the landlord is knocking the 3, redeveloping and using this as an excuse. Council will support it as that street is an eyesore and desperately needs redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Satanta, Ballincollig is 'jam packed' with cafes already. Any idea on location?

Looks like it is going to be sandwiched into the front part of the Sams Bar complex.

https://www.facebook.com/jamcafes/photos/a.134261213306535/2399950156737618/?type=3&theater

Strip out work has commenced on the former Starbucks unit on Patrick Street.

The Health and Safety Authority AF2 notice form posted by the building contractors lists the clients as Healys Supervalu Dunmanway.

Looks like it could be a Musgrave brand opening here - Centra, Daybreak or maybe Donnybrook Fare.

Be interesting to see if this outlet is a convenience store selling coffee, how will it be much different to a Starbucks outlet selling coffee :confused:

The difference I suppose is that a convenience retail store is still defined as a retail use and can sell coffee as an ancillary use. A coffee shop requires an change of use permission

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

satanta99 wrote: »
    Strip out work has commenced on the former Starbucks unit on Patrick Street.

The Health and Safety Authority AF2 notice form posted by the building contractors lists the clients as Healys Supervalu Dunmanway.

Looks like it could be a Musgrave brand opening here - Centra, Daybreak or maybe Donnybrook Fare.

Be interesting to see if this outlet is a convenience store selling coffee, how will it be much different to a Starbucks outlet selling coffee :confused:

The difference I suppose is that a convenience retail store is still defined as a retail use and can sell coffee as an ancillary use. A coffee shop requires an change of use permission

New Centra as far as I know, so probably Herlihys as its city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Dbu wrote: »
    New Centra as far as I know, so probably Herlihys as its city centre

They're not limited by area so if Healys Dunmanway are listed then it's likely a Healys Centra.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Water John wrote: »
    Satanta, Ballincollig is 'jam packed' with cafes already. Any idea on location?

Very nice food. The Grange one is always packed. Not bad for a cafe with not much in the way of passing foot traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Hearing that Boots is expanding in Douglas Court to take over the Next unit which is closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Hearing that Boots is expanding in Douglas Court to take over the Next unit which is closing.

Beat me to it!

• Advertisement

Beat me to it!

You wanted to take over the Next unit? :pac:

Advertisement