Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Does anyone know what's going into the former Centra in the middle of Douglas? When I passed there recently there seemed to be some work going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,676 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anymore talk of Forever 21 coming to Cork?

Anyone hear anything official on what's happening with the porterhouse? It appears to be closed completely as a pub from what I can see, though it appears to still have some presence if you are eating in Holy Smoke.

They made a massive error in judgement by not separating the Porterhouse and Holy smoke imo. They had to get rid of the shuffle board table, they had to stop the quiz and basically all music etc (due to noise in the restaurant) and they got rid of the original 2 for 1 Tuesdays deal which was brilliant value. The place used to be hopping on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and always busy on Friday's.

Last time or two I was in there it was totally dead, they really killed the place and its a pity as they had nice beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Same about portourhouse it's long gone at this stage.

Was a lovely bar with loads of really nice beer.

Last time I was there I did not know it had closed down as now it's just a bar with no name. They are going to be adding the bar into the holly smoke for more sitting down.

Holly smoke I don't get been there 3 times once fantastic the 2 other times it was shocking.

But they are opening a new bar at the end with urban jungle used to be and it's going to be craft beer and retro games could be good.

But I will miss the porterhouse was always my go to 1st bar of the night drinking as had good music good beer and all ways a good crowd they messed up on a good pub there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Malari wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's going into the former Centra in the middle of Douglas? When I passed there recently there seemed to be some work going on.

Il padrino by all accounts
    only problem with that is that it probably will close the other Italian a few doors up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,184 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dbu wrote: »
    only problem with that is that it probably will close the other Italian a few doors up..

Marcello's. I've heard it's pretty good. Anyone been?
    Il Padrino will do well in Douglas, alright - it's really average food and a huge menu. A winning formula for Douglas!

But I will miss the porterhouse was always my go to 1st bar of the night drinking as had good music good beer and all ways a good crowd they messed up on a good pub there

It would be great if someone else in the city took on the franchise, anyone who was in there when it was busy would know it would be popular if done right. A busier location could only help it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Malari wrote: »

Douglas is in a weird situation where it simultaneously has lots of empty units while also being completely over saturated in restaurants, bars, barbers, banks, supermarkets and almost anything else you'd associate with a suburb. I struggle to think what its missing in terms of filling the empty units? Maybe an independent coffee shop? Even that would still struggle with all of the starbucks, costa, gloria jeans etc on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

snotboogie wrote: »
    Douglas is in a weird situation where it simultaneously has lots of empty units while also being completely over saturated in restaurants, bars, barbers, banks, supermarkets and almost anything else you'd associate with a suburb. I struggle to think what its missing in terms of filling the empty units? Maybe an independent coffee shop? Even that would still struggle with all of the starbucks, costa, gloria jeans etc on top of it.

Doughnut place? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The shelf company that owns Il Padrino had a planning notice in the window of the Centra even before it closed. Douglas could probably get away with one more bar, maybe a seafood restaurant or something like that. Not so sure about another Italian restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭RINO87

The shelf company that owns Il Padrino had a planning notice in the window of the Centra even before it closed. Douglas could probably get away with one more bar, maybe a seafood restaurant or something like that. Not so sure about another Italian restaurant.

Douglas badly needs a new bar.... The ones there at the moment are horsesh1te. Find myself going to St.Colimbas hall even on occasion!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anymore talk of Forever 21 coming to Cork?
    Maybe in 83-85 St Patrick's Street?
    Just a few doors up, work has been completed on the revamp of 83-85 Patrick St. The three buildings have been combined into one larger unit to meet modern retail needs and are understood to be attracting significant interest from high-end fashion retailers.

I saw work going on in it a few weeks ago, people working on the second floor. Has anyone else heard anything about it?

Also, does anyone know what is going on with Easons? I feel like that scaffolding has been up for a year or two..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

snotboogie wrote: »

You are spot on! It's really strange to see the empty units (Extravision,Centra, Donovans etc) - such a HUGE empty space- but like you say, no idea what type of business could survive there. Maybe a permanent place to house the Saturday market traders? A mini English market?

UDw8Dsv.jpg

On Oliver Plunkett Street in the old O2 store next to Penneys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,541 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Anyone hear anything official on what's happening with the porterhouse? It appears to be closed completely as a pub from what I can see, though it appears to still have some presence if you are eating in Holy Smoke.

Why did they make those changes? Did they think it wasn't making money with the old set-up?

A full time shift supervisor is being hired for one of the city centre Starbucks stores - maybe for the new one on the South Mall? Anyone have any idea when it is opening? https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1657032

Also, Caffe Nero are also hiring for their Oliver Plunkett Street store now so I imagine that will be open by the end of next month/start of Decemeber

Why did they make those changes? Did they think it wasn't making money with the old set-up?

I honestly think it was just badly thought out. They wanted the restaurant and thought it would work well to have it pretty much in the same room as the pub but that meant removing some of the major things that were bringing people into the pub (along with the beer).

I think they assumed people would still come in reasonable numbers but that wasn't the case. The restaurant is noting to do with the porterhouse brand either, the porterhouse is a franchised pub and the holy smoke is totally separate opened up by the person running the complex.

Does anyone know what the scaffolding at Easons is for? I feel like it has been there for at least a year and it doesn't look like anything is being done..

• Advertisement

I honestly think it was just badly thought out. They wanted the restaurant and thought it would work well to have it pretty much in the same room as the pub but that meant removing some of the major things that were bringing people into the pub (along with the beer).

I think they assumed people would still come in reasonable numbers but that wasn't the case. The restaurant is noting to do with the porterhouse brand either, the porterhouse is a franchised pub and the holy smoke is totally separate opened up by the person running the complex.

Yeah, heard from someone there of a Friday night when it would have been hopping in the old days, it was deserted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,878 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Specsavers is opening in Mahon Point!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Chopped is opening on Glasheen road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Chopped is opening on Glasheen road.

Do you know where exactly, I can't imagine many ucc students paying €8 for lunch everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

The first checkout-less shop in the world is opening in Cork on French Church St. sometime next year.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Worlds-first-checkout-free-shop-to-open-on-Corks-French-Church-Street-c0287318-468b-4898-b947-1fdcde8eebe9-ds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

The first checkout-less shop in the world is opening in Cork on French Church St. sometime next year.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Worlds-first-checkout-free-shop-to-open-on-Corks-French-Church-Street-c0287318-468b-4898-b947-1fdcde8eebe9-ds

Fake news! Amazon have a checkout free store in Seattle already :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Fake news! Amazon have a checkout free store in Seattle already :P

Did you read the article...

Retail giant Amazon is also planning a similar cashier-less store and has developed a concept shop at their headquarters in the US but it has yet to open to the general public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Did you read the article...

Retail giant Amazon is also planning a similar cashier-less store and has developed a concept shop at their headquarters in the US but it has yet to open to the general public

I did not but have shopped in the Amazon one many times, it's a cool concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

calnand wrote: »
    Do you know where exactly, I can't imagine many ucc students paying €8 for lunch everyday.

You'd have a big passing trade there outside of UCC people. It would target Bishopstown especially, there is nothing similar in the area. 6.50 will get you a few choices.

I know the location but I'll keep it under wraps as the owner wants to reveal the location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

You'd have a big passing trade there outside of UCC people. It would target Bishopstown especially, there is nothing similar in the area. 6.50 will get you a few choices.

I know the location but I'll keep it under wraps as the owner wants to reveal the location.

Maxol Garage Glasheen Road. Half of the shop is boarded up for redevelopment. There is a 'coming soon' banner hanging down the front wall.

deanh wrote: »
    Maxol Garage Glasheen Road. Half of the shop is boarded up for redevelopment. There is a 'coming soon' banner hanging down the front wall.

That's a good place for it, lots of staff in the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭opus

No hanging around with the new student flats on Western Road!

433094.jpg

If they were as quick about building accom for non-students...but of course whatever is most profitable...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

DylanGLC wrote: »
    A full time shift supervisor is being hired for one of the city centre Starbucks stores - maybe for the new one on the South Mall? Anyone have any idea when it is opening? https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1657032

Is Starbucks going into the new building on the junction with Parliament St?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I thought that there might have been a chance that Forever 21 would come to Cork....but it seems it may be shutting up shop in Dublin-so probably not.....why would they go to Cork?

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwj5z6GlorXXAhWM7hoKHVgyBRYQqQIIJygAMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dublinlive.ie%2Fwhats-on%2Fshopping%2Fforever-21-jervis-centre-could-13881691&usg=AOvVaw1UY9UuH-JSg1Ej0dcx8kKy

I thought that there might have been a chance that Forever 21 would come to Cork....but it seems it may be shutting up shop in Dublin-so probably not.....why would they go to Cork?

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwj5z6GlorXXAhWM7hoKHVgyBRYQqQIIJygAMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dublinlive.ie%2Fwhats-on%2Fshopping%2Fforever-21-jervis-centre-could-13881691&usg=AOvVaw1UY9UuH-JSg1Ej0dcx8kKy

It's being known for a while now that forever 21 was struggling in Europe. So, I wasn't really expecting a Cork store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Work has started on kitting out the new Costa in Churchfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are the Costa's franchises?

Delighted with that one will be open for xmess don't have to head into town Any more if I just Won't a coffee.

It's going to make a killing up by Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Costa are opening on Ballincollig too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ongarboy wrote: »
    Costa are opening on Ballincollig too!

Ugh, I hate Costa. But at least it gives a badly needed social space in suburban areas, outside the pub. Mayfield could do with that.

• Advertisement

Leonidas Chocolates are now open in Mahon Point!
    23473097_10155236768021925_6628010047032034324_n.jpg?oh=f22beecef7d37dd657537b9ea9327fc4&oe=5AA8D7E2

Where did it open at out there?. Next to the barbers ?

Where did it open at out there?. Next to the barbers ?

Next to Boots/HB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭Harika

Fellas.ie, what seems to be a fast food outlet is opening soon in Blackpool Shopping Center, where KFC was. They seem to have skipped the Roosters Piri Piri, what is still opening soon, but progress inside looks like it is painfully slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I was just going to ask what’s taking so long with Roosters. Once there’s work being done at least that’s not too bad- thought they had changed their minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

The work there seems to have stopped again. It's been coming soon for some time now. XD

Lidl in Wilton have put in an application to build a cafe in the downstairs circulation. Not sure who it'll be as Costa is already across the road. They're also looking to increase their churchfield store by 258sqm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Cafe Nero are open now on Oliver Plunket st.

Will be having a cafe Nero on Saturday.

Way better coffee then Costa and a 1000% times better then the crap they call coffee in Starbucks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Would Lidl not be in house? Their own coffee. Have as a self service in the foyer of their new Macroom store. €1 a cup.

Advertisement