Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is that not Jam now?

Same building, different unit, although there was a door between them before (presumably closed up now).

There's also a restaurant unit upstairs, which Tung Sing are going into.

Hopefully these 3 places will stay a while now.

I think that bar is badly missing an outdoor area, but I guess McCabes bars don't normally have that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Cara Pharmacy opening in Douglas, not sure where though

First impressions of this pharmacy are very good. We have had sick smallies the last two weeks and I was very impressed with their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,039 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Casanova open there 2nd shop tomorrow in the English market.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Anyone know what’s going on in M&S with the food? Loads of the shelves half empty and half of the fridges all empty and closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

Anyone know what’s going on in M&S with the food? Loads of the shelves half empty and half of the fridges all empty and closed off.

Yeah, noticed this too! Hope they're not shutting down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,175 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Inglot in Mahon Point has closed, another free unit there now

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Goldies across the road from Market Lane is open with about a week. Under the same ownership of Market/Elbow Lane etc too. High end fish restaurant, I would say it will do well. That new Casanova Gelato in the English Market will do really well with tourists who are always looking to buy stuff that they can eat rather than the usual fruit + veg and meat stalls which are for home cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Inglot in Mahon Point has closed, another free unit there now

They've actually moved, they have a dedicated space in the revamped chemists downstairs which probably makes sense for both. Prime unit though albeit very small

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's been that way for a week at least. I was in there last Monday and it was the same story; picked up a few bits, none of which originated from the UK. That of course could have been completely coincidental, but part of is wondering are they stress testing their stores for a hard Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

It's been that way for a week at least. I was in there last Monday and it was the same story; picked up a few bits, none of which originated from the UK. That of course could have been completely coincidental, but part of is wondering are they stress testing their stores for a hard Brexit.

You might be onto something there, how their shops in this country could ever survive such a stress test is beyond me when every single item in their food stores is trucked in from a distribution premises in Crewe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

May have been mentioned previously, but the newly renovated 'shop' in the Old Oak complex is being opened as a cafe (they're advertising for staff). It's a nice location for it, right by the thriving Oliver Plunkett pub.

As it stands the East and West end of the street are thriving (another new restaurant Goldy's at the East end) but there are a few vacant properties now in the middle. This'll help bring a bit of buzz to the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Goldies across the road from Market Lane is open with about a week. Under the same ownership of Market/Elbow Lane etc too. High end fish restaurant, I would say it will do well. That new Casanova Gelato in the English Market will do really well with tourists who are always looking to buy stuff that they can eat rather than the usual fruit + veg and meat stalls which are for home cooking.

Apart from the big tour groups off cruises and bus tours who have no interest in buying anything whatsoever. I know from other stall holders who like myself sell walk-around-and-nibble food that their (and my) main interaction with those groups is "VER ISS TOILETTA" and having your photo taken like you're an animal in a zoo.

Sorry it's off topic I'm just at the end of a long hard summer of the bastards :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not sure when it happened but Homefront changed units in Wilton.
    They are now in the newer section.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

igCorcaigh wrote: »

That's a shame. Guess they struggled when Mahon opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Shame for Douglas, loss of an amenity or another shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

D'Agger wrote: »
    Shame for Douglas, loss of an amenity or another shop

I saw someone post on Twitter that in the last month, Douglas has now lost a cinema, a post office and a library.

I was in Douglas yesterday evening and bar the queue outside KCs, it was dead. No traffic (around 5.30/6pm) or anything.

The person that made the post was arguing that City Hall should have leased the building for a library which is probably unrealistic (I don't know the ins and outs of it all) but if it could have become a community building, library, etc, it would have been nice. Use the car park for the market, etc...

Aldi will surely be busier but the area is well-stocked with supermarkets already so...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Thats sad. I feel strange complaining as I havent been in in years (honestly wasnt even sure it was still open), so I can see why it went wallop, but a refurb could have made it into a village unifying place again. It was pretty grotty, a food court as mentioned and some love would have gone a long way. Anyway not to be.

Another shagging Aldi! Such grim times for Douglas

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Thats sad. I feel strange complaining as I havent been in in years (honestly wasnt even sure it was still open), so I can see why it went wallop, but a refurb could have made it into a village unifying place again. It was pretty grotty, a food court as mentioned and some love would have gone a long way. Anyway not to be.

Another shagging Aldi! Such grim times for Douglas

Planning was granted for Aldi on that site years ago but never actioned. There have been a few recent amendments to it, but I wonder is the timing as a result of Tesco closing.

My fear is that with Dunnes and Aldi, Tesco may reconsider opening again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I've said it before that the cinema and the adjoining site with the market will make or break Douglas, an Aldi will break the area. At the same time, the community spaces stuff are totally unrealistic. A mixed use, medium rise development with offices, apartments, a hotel and some retail could up footfall without adding to the traffic mess. It's arguably the best served public transport spot in the suburbs. An Aldi will just add to the traffic disaster without really adding any new service (there is another one 5 mins up the road in grange).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Planning was granted for Aldi on that site years ago but never actioned. There have been a few recent amendments to it, but I wonder is the timing as a result of Tesco closing.

My fear is that with Dunnes and Aldi, Tesco may reconsider opening again.

Well, Tesco already operates a supermarket in another southside suburb at Wilton Shopping Centre and also have to face competition from both Aldi and Lidl in Wilton. Meanwhile, Dunnes Stores have a supermarket on Curraheen Road in addition to Dunnes Bishopstown Court Shopping Centre not to mention another Lidl is trading on Clashdubh Road in Glasheen which is not too far away from SuperValu on Togher Road.

If Tesco have the right model and loyal customers and a unique offering, most customers will come back just like they did after the major flood some years ago although; it will be a challenge for them and all of the returning retailers particularly if the economy goes into a recession in the event of a no deal/hard BREXIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Anyone know what's going in the old Mages Pub in Coburg st area ?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Douglas cinema was very dated but I liked it because it was quiet. Not sustainable. I suppose upgrading and investing in the cinema was a big gamble to potentially make with Mahon Point just down the road.

I remember seeing The Mask there when it opened back in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Douglas cinema was very dated but I liked it because it was quiet. Not sustainable. I suppose upgrading and investing in the cinema was a big gamble to potentially make with Mahon Point just down the road.

I remember seeing The Mask there when it opened back in 1994.

Went there for the same reasons. Cheaper and quieter than Mahon but needed some TLC. A f*****g Aldi is the last thing Douglas village needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Cork City FC to open a new club shop in Mahon Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know what is opening in the building next to Loving salads on Academy street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Anyone know what is opening in the building next to Loving salads on Academy street?

Louis Copeland, I think.

anacc wrote: »
    Cork City FC to open a new club shop in Mahon Point.

They were due to open in Douglas Court, is this an other one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,175 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

They've actually moved, they have a dedicated space in the revamped chemists downstairs which probably makes sense for both. Prime unit though albeit very small

McCauley?

Advertisement