Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    McCauley?

Yep that's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 18,039 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Louis Copeland, I think.

He's going into Academy St where some hairdressers was

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

They were due to open in Douglas Court, is this an other one

First I’ve heard linking them with Douglas Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

anacc wrote: »

First I heard was certainly some where in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

anacc wrote: »

They were due to change units in Douglas Village just before the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

any news on M&S in Merchants Quay? Every time I go in there are less things.. Lots of staff packing up things but nobody says a word... Are they closing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

any news on M&S in Merchants Quay? Every time I go in there are less things.. Lots of staff packing up things but nobody says a word... Are they closing?

Dunno, but im worried.

Used to love Marks for the nice things when I could afford it.

I have no idea because I'd only visit M&S a few times a year.
    One thing I do know is earlier this my local Tesco loads of items disappeared and they were gaps on the shelves.(It would have generally being a well stocked store).
    After a few weeks things settled down and things arrived in packaging and I heard somewhere they were changing suppliers and preparing for Brexit.

Has anybody asked the staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

I have no idea because I'd only visit M&S a few times a year.
    One thing I do know is earlier this my local Tesco loads of items disappeared and they were gaps on the shelves.(It would have generally being a well stocked store).
    After a few weeks things settled down and things arrived in packaging and I heard somewhere they were changing suppliers and preparing for Brexit.

Has anybody asked the staff?

My husband commented that they usually have Tesco own brand tea bags at work but when he went to buy them today they only had Lyons and Barrys in the local Tesco. He laughed when I wondered if it had anything to do with Brexit.

My husband commented that they usually have Tesco own brand tea bags at work but when he went to buy them today they only had Lyons and Barrys in the local Tesco. He laughed when I wondered if it had anything to do with Brexit.

Sorry I meant to put the word year in my post. It was about Febuary that those thing happened in my local Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I was in there last week, and noticed that some of the fridges at the rear of the store were empty, turned off & covered over with advertising boards. Thought it was very unusual. Would seldom shop there for food, but do often get clothes in there.

JYSK in Youghal is opening the 14th November!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

What's going into Douglas Court where next used to be? Serious work going on in there.

Seems like a restaurant is going in alongside the Cotton Ball's soon to open new pub Thompsons Brewery on MacCurtain Street called the Glass Curtain. I'd imagine they will be pushing to get both open before the Christmas season kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

snotboogie wrote: »
    What's going into Douglas Court where next used to be? Serious work going on in there.

Think Boots are supposed to be moving to that unit from their current spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

JohnK wrote: »
    Think Boots are supposed to be moving to that unit from their current spot.

Anything going I to boots then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

snotboogie wrote: »
    Anything going I to boots then?

Haven't heard anything there I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I was in there last week, and noticed that some of the fridges at the rear of the store were empty, turned off & covered over with advertising boards. Thought it was very unusual. Would seldom shop there for food, but do often get clothes in there.

I was listening to REDfm this morning and I heard a comment that staff who had been transferred from M&S Douglas Village Shopping Centre branch after the recent car park fire to M&S Patrick Street were all being let go which was a shock to them.

Not sure if M&S in Merchant's Quay Shopping Centre will be re-configured in some way as part of the update works to the overall centre? Maybe this will result in less retail floor space if M&S are renovating that store or perhaps it will become a much smaller store. M&S has been in financial trouble in the UK for quite a while which could mean cost cutting in Ireland too if certain stores or lines are not performing well enough.

M&S are in big trouble financially they only recently fell out of the FTSE 100 for the first time in their history.

rob316 wrote: »
    M&S are in big trouble financially they only recently fell out of the FTSE 100 for the first time in their history.

This is also true -
    I believe M&S has since ended up in the lower ranked FTSE 250 tier

Source:
    https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/09/marks-spencers-drop-ftse-100-means-retail/

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭stayback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

stayback wrote: »

I was in MP at about 8pm on Saturday for the cinema and the queue for Milanos was all the way down to Debenhams. It was insane!
    The food is extremely over priced and below average in quality, I really can’t see the attraction.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I was in MP at about 8pm on Saturday for the cinema and the queue for Milanos was all the way down to Debenhams. It was insane!
    The food is extremely over priced and below average in quality, I really can’t see the attraction.

I agree with you 100% - I went out for an early evening bite in Dublin City Centre as a mate of mine could only meet up with me between 5:30-7pm and he chose Milano's and when I looked thru the menu I was not impressed by the selection/additional extra options and prices. I always like to have pineapple as one of my toppings on a pizza and they looked at me as if I had X 10 heads. I know it was early evening but there were no other customers dining on their premises for the hour or so we were there! Although; it was clean, tidy and presented well but it was definitely missing something - customers albeit less. I really miss Gino's Pizza outlet on Winthrop Street in Cork - such a shame it went!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I agree with you 100% - I went out for an early evening bite in Dublin City Centre as a mate of mine could only meet up with me between 5:30-7pm and he chose Milano's and when I looked thru the menu I was not impressed by the selection/additional extra options and prices. I always like to have pineapple as one of my toppings on a pizza and they looked at me as if I had X 10 heads. I know it was early evening but there were no other customers dining on their premises for the hour or so we were there! Although; it was clean, tidy and presented well but it was definitely missing something - customers albeit less. I really miss Gino's Pizza outlet on Winthrop Street in Cork - such a shame it went!

Was pineapple an option on the menu? If it wasn’t, you might have well asked for a bar of curly wurly on your pizza. I have to agree on the price, crazy.

Gino's was good 20 years ago, the quality of product that came after it was far better and they never lived up to it. I got it before it closed and it was awful.

xabi wrote: »
    Was pineapple an option on the menu? If it wasn’t, you might have well asked for a bar of curly wurly on your pizza. I have to agree on the price, crazy.

Pineapple was just not an option end of - I thought it would be a popular topping but my request was frowned upon. It was not an optional extra ingredient either. As my mate was tight on time and unable to meet me before I left Dublin I decided I better not spoil our brief meeting but I was not impressed at Milano's prices and their limited ingredient range in what I would regard as an over-priced pizza chain store outlet.

rob316 wrote: »
    Gino's was good 20 years ago, the quality of product that came after it was far better and they never lived up to it. I got it before it closed and it was awful.

It was quite a while since I last went into town for pizza and I probably frequently the place more regularly about 20 years ago alright to be fair! - I was in Gino's with a mate only about a month before it finally closed however; we just had an ice cream dessert on that occasion although I still enjoyed it and had no idea it was about to close. Happy memories of Gino's!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

Ate in Milanos a couple of years ago. Wanted a pasta dish only to be told they were out of pasta! Thought it was very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Ate in Milanos a couple of years ago. Wanted a pasta dish only to be told they were out of pasta! Thought it was very strange.

Everything comes in pre made from the UK as its all made in a factory like all chain restaurants so stuff can run out there not like say a non chain place who can run to Tesco to buy pasta if they run out of it.

It's avg food with three plus you get 30% off anyone brings food to a normal price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Milanos is the best thing to have gone in that unit yet, and that’s saying something

• Advertisement

PIZZA EXPRESS in UK = MILANO (Republic of Ireland)
    Milano's sounds more sophisticated than Pizza Express but it's basically the same thing.

Advertisement