Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,039 ✭✭✭✭rob316

pwurple wrote: »
    The names on places, do they put no thought into them anymore.

As bad as SpitJack. Spitting and Jacking are not things I want to associate with my dinner. (Yes I know a spitjack is a thing)

Crust... like an old scab eh. YUMMY?

Crust as in the crust of the bread is what comes to my mind but ok

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pwurple wrote: »
    The names on places, do they put no thought into them anymore.

As bad as SpitJack. Spitting and Jacking are not things I want to associate with my dinner. (Yes I know a spitjack is a thing)

Crust... like an old scab eh. YUMMY?

But think of fresh, crusty bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Good to see. It's just not a nice space, though.
    I think that may have been a factor in the failure of Bad Boys BBQ.

I think White Rabbit was a bigger factor but it is an odd space

Personally I like the name crust, short and simple

The old oak I passed yesterday, seems a large space, had no name over it, wo de ring if that'll change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

So Vodafone are re-opening in the exact same unit (the one they closed to merge with Mahon point) in Douglas Court Shopping centre,

they have their branding up on the unit now too and the same layout they had before it seems.

I wonder why they came back to Douglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Odd that Jam still haven't put a sign above their door in Ballincollig, a number of weeks after opening. Good to see the unit being used, though.

Good to see people in fitting out the new Benny bar next door also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Clancy’s are looking for staff and are saying they’re opening soon on social media. The push is on for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Clancy’s are looking for staff and are saying they’re opening soon on social media. The push is on for Christmas.

I passed today and looked in and it was still only at first fix stage. Are they keeping the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I passed today and looked in and it was still only at first fix stage. Are they keeping the name?

Yep seem to be keeping the name. Hopefully there’ll be no hold ups like what happened to Dwyer’s!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

A new shoe shop is opening on Drawbridge street behind of the Savoy, where the men's clothes shop was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

leahyl wrote: »
    Saw this the other night actually when I came out of Cyprus Avenue - it looks lovely! Is this going to be a late night place, cos it was open at 11pm - maybe it was just the weekend that was in it.

Hopefully they keep it going, later than 6pm anyway. It's one thing that bugs me, how the city centre pretty much shuts down in the evenings. You'd often see tourists milling about in the summer, and there's nothing but closed shops and cafes, and a few pubs open.

It seems to be changing though, with a couple of places a the Western end of Oliver Plunkett St. open late, and now this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭RINO87

who_me wrote: »
    Hopefully they keep it going, later than 6pm anyway. It's one thing that bugs me, how the city centre pretty much shuts down in the evenings. You'd often see tourists milling about in the summer, and there's nothing but closed shops and cafes, and a few pubs open.

It seems to be changing though, with a couple of places a the Western end of Oliver Plunkett St. open late, and now this.

Yep, retail saying they're struggling and still close at 6 even in summer.... I don't get it. A lot of the American and asian tourists that visit here do so as part of a European trip where retail is open very late in summer, folks visiting from mainland Europe think the whole closing at six is madness..... Struggling retail are missing out on a huge chunk of tourist income by closing at six. The big spenders are still on golf courses, on day trips, or down the back of beyonds West cork at 6pm in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

RINO87 wrote: »
    Yep, retail saying they're struggling and still close at 6 even in summer.... I don't get it. A lot of the American and asian tourists that visit here do so as part of a European trip where retail is open very late in summer, folks visiting from mainland Europe think the whole closing at six is madness..... Struggling retail are missing out on a huge chunk of tourist income by closing at six. The big spenders are still on golf courses, on day trips, or down the back of beyonds West cork at 6pm in the summer.

Nevermind the tourists. What about locals who are working all day. If you want to get anything done in the city you either have to run out at lunch time if you can, or else leg it around the shops after work before the shutters come down at 6pm. It's an incredible retail model but many Cork traders are firmly struck in the 1970s retail mindset.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If would be great to see the English Market open late on a Thursday or Friday evening. Even for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon.

I'm sure some of the traders would like it too.

Another example of where the traders do an awful lot of whinging and whining about car bans and other things but fail to do basic things to help their businesses.

I always laugh at the likes of that place Idaho blowing on about opening at the earlier time of 8am. He doesn't seem to get that lots of people would be well settled at their desk by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

Mardyke wrote: »
    Another example of where the traders do an awful lot of whinging and whining about car bans and other things but fail to do basic things to help their businesses.

I always laugh at the likes of that place Idaho blowing on about opening at the earlier time of 8am. He doesn't seem to get that lots of people would be well settled at their desk by that stage.

Actually he opens up at 7.59am. That minute is very important!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I can never understand esp in Irish cities why coffee shops close at 5 or 6 during the week. A lot of working people might like to meet pals for a chat and catch up after work. There is a reason why starbucks does so well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Last Friday for the jazz parade, despite the weather, there were loads of people in town. However the vast majority of shops were firmly closed since 6pm. Utter madness.

Last year the Saturday before Christmas, I went into town in the afternoon. Place was heaving with people, great buzz around. Incredibly almost all the shops started pulling down the shutters at 6pm. Crazy stuff. The large crowds quickly drifted away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The shops used to be open late on a Thursday and Friday evening in years gone by but then I noticed that there was nobody in them from about 7pm on so they started closing early again - that’s why they don’t open late, they don’t do the business; I’m not sure the tourists would make up for it. I haven’t been in town for a few years now for late shopping so I’m not sure, do they open until 9 on a Thursday and Friday again? they definitely wouldn’t do the business from Monday-Wednesday anyway. I suppose would be no harm if they opened late on a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

That drives me spare. I am frequently walking through town at 7am and there's very few options for a coffee outside of the chain stores and convenience shops.

Same beyond 5pm on a Sunday unless you're up aorund Grand Parade when Soma and Three Fools are still serving. But down towards MacCurtain Street or the train station, which would be my regular route at that time of day on a Sunday, they are all closed.

I think an awful lot of places assume there's no business to be made at that time but there are plenty of people in the city who don't operate to the Monday-Friday 9-5 time table.

I can rarely make it into the city centre during traditional working hours so getting to the English Market is near impossible for me. But if it opened even from 1-4 on a Sunday afternoon, I'd go out of my way to get in there. Instead, it's large supermarkets only for me.

Actually he opens up at 7.59am. That minute is very important!!

What a ghoul!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'd be at my desk for 15/20 minutes at that stage already. I just went to McDonalds on Winthrop Street or the Bookshelf on South Mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

What a ghoul!

Because he chooses to open his business when he chooses?

I know its close to Halloween but a ghoul is a ghost, I don't think he's a ghost. In any event I don't see the need for personal insults.

Because he chooses to open his business when he chooses?

I know its close to Halloween but a ghoul is a ghost, I don't think he's a ghost. In any event I don't see the need for personal insults.

Nah, more just that he's a ghoul in general. 7.59 being an example !!! I heard the coffee in there is crap too.

Plus he closes on Sunday and Monday. Sunday probably one of the busiest days of the week in town. So he's not got a business that opens to suit himself (fair enough) but don't be whining about how hard it is to do business in Cork then.

Nah, more just that he's a ghoul in general. 7.59 being an example !!! I heard the coffee in there is crap too.

Plus he closes on Sunday and Monday. Sunday probably one of the busiest days of the week in town. So he's not got a business that opens to suit himself (fair enough) but don't be whining about how hard it is to do business in Cork then.

They close Sunday Monday as it's a small family business and they are there every day, they deserve a day off

Oh and 'I heard' the coffee is crap'?

Really?

I heard Barbie went off with Ken but has nothing to do with this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

I can never understand esp in Irish cities why coffee shops close at 5 or 6 during the week. A lot of working people might like to meet pals for a chat and catch up after work. There is a reason why starbucks does so well

All the passing trade is gone after 6. Not too many people will get a takeaway coffee after 7/8 in the evening. Any business they get will be 2 or 3 people taking up a table for an hour with one coffee each.

They close Sunday Monday as it's a small family business and they are there every day, they deserve a day off

Oh and 'I heard' the coffee is crap'?

Really?

I heard Barbie went off with Ken but has nothing to do with this thread

Touched a nerve, sorry you must be buddies with the guy.

Hire someone to keep the place open all week?

You won't find me in the place anyway, regardless of whether their coffee is good or bad. Lots of others of the same opinion.

Touched a nerve, sorry you must be buddies with the guy.

Hire someone to keep the place open all week?

You won't find me in the place anyway, regardless of whether their coffee is good or bad. Lots of others of the same opinion.

Please don't make assumptions , I'm not 'buddies' but I do have a coffee there now and again and enjoy it because its not like the chains. They do things their way and personally I like that. The 7.59 is quirky and separates them from Costa or Starbucks.

I'm sure they could hire someone to make it like the rest of the generic places but I like the fact they don't, it makes it different.

What's the issue with that? Pigs back in Douglas, Cinnamon Cottage, even the English Market close

My choice of where I drink with coffee, or your third party view of any type of coffee on sale has nothing to do with this thread, which is about businesses opening and closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

That new pet supplies shop in Blackpool (where maplins was) opened on Thursday. I've only had a quick look through the door, seems very similar to maxi zoo. It doesn't look like they did a whole lot with the interior, even though they seemed to be working on it for ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

leahyl wrote: »
    The shops used to be open late on a Thursday and Friday evening in years gone by but then I noticed that there was nobody in them from about 7pm on so they started closing early again - that’s why they don’t open late, they don’t do the business; I’m not sure the tourists would make up for it. I haven’t been in town for a few years now for late shopping so I’m not sure, do they open until 9 on a Thursday and Friday again? they definitely wouldn’t do the business from Monday-Wednesday anyway. I suppose would be no harm if they opened late on a Saturday.

They do stay open late now again on Fridays. 8 or 9pm they closes. Was in there last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Not strictly Cork city but Tralee based Ballyseedy cafe opening restaurants in the Dairygold stores in Carrigaline and Midleton. I believe they used to have one in Fota Retail Park previously. They do great food and their Tralee cafe is always packed!

Below gives you an idea of their offering.

http://www.ballyseedy.ie/cafe-ballyseedy/

Advertisement