Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Eod100 wrote: »
    Think it's this place, Glass Curtain. Seems to be open already but more restaurant than microbrewery it seems, unless that is to follow after or something.

https://www.theglasscurtain.ie/

two different places.
    The Glass Curtain opened at the start of the month.
    The Cottonball brewbar has yet to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

fin12 wrote: »
    Any news on a Superdrug opening in Cork, I thought someone he said was supposed to open in Blackpool?

I'd like to know what happened to that too. They advertised job openings for a new Cork store back in January 2018. Must have scrapped their plans? Anyone have any idea what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd like to know what happened to that too. They advertised job openings for a new Cork store back in January 2018. Must have scrapped their plans? Anyone have any idea what happened?

Sam McCauley challenged it and stopped them coming in. Their is exclusivity in those leases on what you are licensed to sell there, Superdrug would of be in direct competition.

There was huge work done, they knocked a wall between 2 existing units and all to make it into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Eod100 wrote: »
    Think it's this place, Glass Curtain. Seems to be open already but more restaurant than microbrewery it seems, unless that is to follow after or something.

https://www.theglasscurtain.ie/

Yeah didnt say there as it's open.

Maccurtain street has really turned around lately, when the new hotels, apartments go in itll be buzzing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Mushy wrote: »

Maccurtain street has really turned around lately, when the new hotels, apartments go in it'll be buzzing

Unfortunately, there are plans afoot to turn the street into a two way traffic system.

Still can't work my head around how it will work or improve anything, as traffic will be crossing in a X pattern by the LeisurePlex.

MacCurtain street serves as the main artery getting from the city towards Mayfield/Montenotte/Ballyvolane.

Patrick's Quay already serves the purpose of traffic coming from that direction towards Camden Quay, which is the only direction traffic from a two way MacCurtain Street can turn towards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Had 5.6mm fall at 7 in cork city, bringing the total to 13.32 . Severly waterlogged after yesterday and todays bursts

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Unfortunately, there are plans afoot to turn the street into a two way traffic system.

Still can't work my head around how it will work or improve anything, as traffic will be crossing in a X pattern by the LeisurePlex.

MacCurtain street serves as the main artery getting from the city towards Mayfield/Montenotte/Ballyvolane.

Patrick's Quay already serves the purpose of traffic coming from that direction towards Camden Quay, which is the only direction traffic from a two way MacCurtain Street can turn towards.

two way will make the road a bit more pedestrian friendly.

Multi lane one way systems are frowned upon in City centre locations these days due to the higher average speed of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Had 5.6mm fall at 7 in cork city, bringing the total to 13.32 . Severly waterlogged after yesterday and todays bursts

Can't wait to visit that new business when it opens....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

snotboogie wrote: »
    Yep, the brewery will be Thompsons. The fact they are not open for Christmas means they are probably a good few months off opening yet, despite this they have put up a huge sign

I walked past this today and it looked to be mostly fitted out inside.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Ubikewithus on Anglesea Street now seems to be Just For Men barbers.

When did all the units in the Savoy close? Went in just after Christmas to go to Gloria Jeans and all the front door was closed along with what looked to be all the units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

When did all the units in the Savoy close? Went in just after Christmas to go to Gloria Jeans and all the print door was closed along with what looked to be all the units.

There is a big revamp going on inside for JD Sports to get massive floor space. I know there is a cafe going into the new one but im not sure if it's gloria jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

ongarboy wrote: »
    Can't wait to visit that new business when it opens....

Aha just saw this now. Whoops, too late for a "wrong thread" text? Haha :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

When did all the units in the Savoy close? Went in just after Christmas to go to Gloria Jeans and all the front door was closed along with what looked to be all the units.

Ubikewithus is still there. The barbers has opened in the unit that used to be a motor factors shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Three retailers shut up shop on Patrick's Street in the last two months. Hopefully we see new occupiers occupy these spaces soon. Disappointing to see an increasing number of voids on the main street in the city.

Argos - closed November
    Mountain Warehouse - closed December
    Selected/Villa - being cleared out today and a sign saying Closed until further notice.

Also another clothes shop on Opera Lane closing this week - Only.

Is it becoming uneconomical to operate a store in the city centre?

Starting into 2020 we are seeing the vacancy rate on Patrick's Street head in the wrong direction. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Time for the council to think outside the box. The car centric model is failing the city, but the council and traders think they know best. Pedestrianisation is proven the world over to increase footfall and urban vibrancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rates are a massive problem for all traders. Landlords are still handing out lease offers with ridiculous increases too, they need to be more realistic.

I agree increasing pedestrianisation would create a more pleasant environment.

I also think changes need to be made to the restrictions on non-retail uses on Patrick Street.

It is discussed in this article, but any changes have been put off until the publication new development plan next year.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/City-Hall-is-looking-at-reversing-the-Pana-ban-on-new-cafes-and-restaurants-3b8458b7-f8d7-449c-9998-0fd83bd85208-ds

Units like the former AIB near Daunt Square have been empty for years. Would there be a better chance of filling this unit if re-zoned for cafe/restaurant use?

We need a mixture of leisure and retail to increase vibrancy on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Couldnt agree more with the above. Its the mix that brings footfall, especially in the age of internet shopping. Have always thought that corner unit would be a great cosy cafe. And Quills would make a great restaurant/ cafe with the right formula

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more with the above. Its the mix that brings footfall, especially in the age of internet shopping. Have always thought that corner unit would be a great cosy cafe. And Quills would make a great restaurant/ cafe with the right formula

The council want Patrick Street to be a giant open air retail shopping centre dominated by clothes shops, hence the ban on new pubs/restaurants/cafés on the street for many years. It's absolutely bizarre. You just don't see that in other cities.

And this policy is what resulted in Starbucks being forced to close down due to a planning enforcement case taken by the council for opening without the permission for change of use from a retail unit.

I'm not arguing against the planning enforcement case - rules are rules, but it is crazy that a convenience retailer was able to open a few weeks later selling coffee and hot food for takeaway :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

satanta99 wrote: »
    And this policy is what resulted in Starbucks being forced to close down due to a planning enforcement case taken by the council for opening without the permission for change of use from a retail unit.

I'm not arguing against the planning enforcement case - rules are rules, but it is crazy that a convenience retailer was able to open a few weeks later selling coffee and hot food for takeaway :confused:

Isn’t that centre owned by a cork family ?

That explains it ... Starbucks are evil ..... to be fair I liked haveing a coffee shop on Patrick at was a great place to people watch

I think cafe Nero was trying to open in the store next to three in Patrick st and it got refused

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Its always been retail zoned so they were onto a loser. I think the fact they openly flouted planning was their undoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭ofcork

The biggest problem is still online which is a worldwide issue for bricks and mortar retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Does anyone know what's happening with SuperNova in Ballincollig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Three retailers shut up shop on Patrick's Street in the last two months. Hopefully we see new occupiers occupy these spaces soon. Disappointing to see an increasing number of voids on the main street in the city.

Argos - closed November
    Mountain Warehouse - closed December
    Selected/Villa - being cleared out today and a sign saying Closed until further notice.

Also another clothes shop on Opera Lane closing this week - Only.

Is it becoming uneconomical to operate a store in the city centre?

Starting into 2020 we are seeing the vacancy rate on Patrick's Street head in the wrong direction. :(

Is that the Selected/Vila shop that opened in that refurbished building next the Golden Discs about two years ago?

Some lovely stuff in there but i never saw many people in there whenever I was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Does anyone know what's happening with SuperNova in Ballincollig?

It is being turned into offices.

Is that the Selected/Vila shop that opened in that refurbished building next the Golden Discs about two years ago?

Some lovely stuff in there but i never saw many people in there whenever I was in it.

That’s the one. It always did seem to be empty and they had closed the first floor off.

The store they have in Mahon Point seems to do better.

Hopefully another retailer will take up this spot soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,488 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm fairly sure last year some Villa stores closed temporary due to a stocking issue or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’m pretty sure only on opera lane is still open, was def in there before Christmas.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure only on opera lane is still open, was def in there before Christmas.

Closed down for good today

Advertisement