Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭ofcork

Passed there around 4.30 signs on doors saying shop closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

satanta99 wrote: »
    Closed down for good today

Oh no, really liked that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Three retailers shut up shop on Patrick's Street in the last two months. Hopefully we see new occupiers occupy these spaces soon. Disappointing to see an increasing number of voids on the main street in the city.

Argos - closed November
    Mountain Warehouse - closed December
    Selected/Villa - being cleared out today and a sign saying Closed until further notice.

Also another clothes shop on Opera Lane closing this week - Only.

Is it becoming uneconomical to operate a store in the city centre?

Starting into 2020 we are seeing the vacancy rate on Patrick's Street head in the wrong direction. :(

Yeah I was in after Christmas and upstairs was closed and they barely had any stock out with a lot reduced so seemed something was up. It's a pity, they're stuff was reasonably priced and good quality. Happened to be on their site earlier and double checked locations and see they had Patrick St one down already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

ofcork wrote: »
    The biggest problem is still online which is a worldwide issue for bricks and mortar retail.

Yeah and retail shops with bricks and mortar and online presence are effectively competing with each other. Lot of times you go into shop and they don't have what you're looking for in stock and asked ''did you check our website?''

I think there's always an advantage to being able to go to a shop and pick up what you want on the day but if you have to order in, you'd nearly be better off just getting it delivered to your door, often cheaper too. Be interesting to see what replaces the closed down shops

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Jysk have announced 7 new stores to open in 2020, 2 of these are to be in Cork City.

They previously mentioned opening in Blackpool. (I'm not sure there are any vacant units in Blackpool retail park at the moment, maybe elsewhere?)

Could the second unit be in the North Main Street Shopping Centre? Jysk have previously opened stores in shopping centres such as the Laois Shopping Centre in Portlaoise.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/danish-retailer-jysk-to-create-70-jobs-with-seven-new-irish-stores-1.4131701?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Work started on Pana on the long derelict TSB site mentioned here. It's not all bad lads

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Thomhic312

I heard Lidl will be going into North Main St shopping center. Will the other one stay open, around the corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Thomhic312 wrote: »
    I heard Lidl will be going into North Main St shopping center. Will the other one stay open, around the corner?

Dunnes aren't exactly known for renting property to the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'd be very surprised, I was talking to an architect who's offices are on North Main street and he told me he thought it had been sold for apartments and is going through pre planning

Would be a shame, would suit a discounter of some sort

I don’t think Dunnes own that unit. It was leased.

A supermarket such as Lidl or Aldi would be great for the street.

That unit is large, it could be split in two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I don’t think Dunnes own that unit. It was leased.

A supermarket such as Lidl or Aldi would be great for the street.

That unit is large, it could be split in two.

Unless LiDL is planning to vacate the nearby premises off Cornmarket Street (Coal Quay) I cannot see them opening an additional outlet in such close proximity. Nearest Aldi supermarket is probably at The Elysian so; maybe they are potential bidders in this part of the city centre. Other than that, perhaps an store like "ICELAND" supermarket may be interested as they have no presence right in the city centre at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,171 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is New Look in Douglas closing as the store seems bare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Is there anything to be said for local shops over multinationals? Anyone know any new local businesses to support? Bean and Brownie is an excellent new-ish cafe in Ballinlough. There's also a nice place in Dosco called Lishh, does eat in food and catering. I got an unreal piece of ceramic in there. I can also vouch for the jewellery in that Azure place on George's Quay, it's singular. As well as Archer's on the Brandon Rd across from Jackie Lennoxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Is there anything to be said for local shops over multinationals? Anyone know any new local businesses to support? Bean and Brownie is an excellent new-ish cafe in Ballinlough. There's also a nice place in Dosco called Lishh, does eat in food and catering. I got an unreal piece of ceramic in there. I can also vouch for the jewellery in that Azure place on George's Quay, it's singular. As well as Archer's on the Brandon Rd across from Jackie Lennoxes.

Love bean brownie, was great to see them open the cafe

Thomhic312 wrote: »

Perhaps LIDL's lease is about to expire at the Cornmarket Street Centre and renewal terms on offer from the landlord have not interested them so; maybe LiDL wants to maintain a presence in this part of the city centre such as possibly the former Dunnes Stores unit in the North Main Street Shopping Centre by the time the existing lease on Cornmarket Street expires. Time will tell no doubt.

The store in the Cornmarket Centre is very busy. There are always queues. A bigger unit in North Main Street could be an incentive too move.

In terms of smaller retailers, Badger and Dodo have opened at the bottom of Barrack Street in the front part of the internet cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd say its more Lidl will be going into North main st to stop Aldi going into the centre of town.
    Aldi did the same in Ballincollig opening a 2nd store across the road to stop Lidl going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭The White Feather

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd say its more Lidl will be going into North main st to stop Aldi going into the centre of town.
    Aldi did the same in Ballincollig opening a 2nd store across the road to stop Lidl going in there.

Thats interesting to me as I am not out in Ballincollig much but last time I was there. I thought it was weird having 2 aldis very close. Was wondering why it happened!

Thats interesting to me as I am not out in Ballincollig much but last time I was there. I thought it was weird having 2 aldis very close. Was wondering why it happened!

Funnily enough I think some years back around the so called "Celtic Tiger" period, there was talk that Dunnes Stores original Bishopstown branch on Curraheen Road was to make way for apartments. Not sure if planning was a problem and then the economic recession hit which effected many developments. I believe the reason Dunnes Stores continued to operate their Curraheen Road store despite Dunnes Stores - Bishopstown Court being nearby was to prevent it being acquired by Lidl or Aldi in the local area although; both stores eventually managed to open on Bishopstown Road not far from the main entrance to Cork University Hospital/Cork University Maternity Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Work has finally started to repair L'Atitude 51, it was Paddy's day last year it had the fire so quite a wait.

499480.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Thats great, good to see them back in action. They did a lot while out of the premises to keep the name and biz alive. Hope ir does well for them

Big changes announced for Patrick's street!

Eason is to relocate next year from its main store on Cork city's St Patrick's Street.

Sports Direct International/SDI (Cork) have purchased the building.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/eason-to-close-store-on-corks-patricks-street-974293.html

Hopefully, Sports Direct look at bringing their premium fascia - Flannels to this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭brevity

Why did it have to be sports direct. Ugh. That’s going to look awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,488 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Eason is to relocate next year from its main store on Cork city's St Patrick's Street.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/eason-to-close-store-on-corks-patricks-street-974293.html

Hopefully, Sports Direct look at bringing their premium fascia - Flannels to this site.

I wonder will Easons move to the Argos unit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Interesting line in that piece is that Clarendon are considering a boutique cinema in the Savoy.

That would be great.

I wonder will Easons move to the Argos unit!

They could do, but that would mean we would have an empty unit for a year before they move.

Interesting line in that piece is that Clarendon are considering a boutique cinema in the Savoy.

That would be great.

They outline some details of this plan in the planning application for the amalgamation of units for the JD Sports store.

Something along the lines of the Stella cinema operated by the Press Up group would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

That really doesnt feel like good news to me.. Another tracksuit shop from the UK high street. Tbf Eason's havent been the best stewards of their prominent building, but nothing tells me Mike Ashley will be better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

That would be great.

It'd be fantastic. Cork used to have quite a few nice, stylish cinemas; it'd be a great asset to have at least one of them restored. Not as a mainstream cinema, as I don't think single-screen cinemas like that are viable any more, but more as an experience (like the Stella, as suggested above).

• Advertisement

bingo9999 wrote: »
    That really doesnt feel like good news to me.. Another tracksuit shop from the UK high street. Tbf Eason's havent been the best stewards of their prominent building, but nothing tells me Mike Ashley will be better

Sports Direct was recently renamed Frasers Group and have a variety of other brands including Flannels (recently opened on one of the floors of the House of Fraser unit in Belfast), Cruise, Game, USC, House of Fraser, and their new premium chain Frasers which will replace some House of Fraser outlets.

They also own Heatons which is slowly being converted to BrandMax and Sports Direct units across Ireland.

I think it's a positive move for the street. It shows that retailers are still willing to invest in town centre retailing. Mike Ashley is one of the few retailers expanding at the moment and in a variety of brands and formats beyond just Sports Direct.

Advertisement