Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Is Finns corner closing?

Yep closing down now, they are retiring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

Yep closing down now, they are retiring

That's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I think the Savoy Quills development has been in the bag for a while so possiy not an option. The Easons move is 2021 but I'd presume a fair bit of work needed in the new unit so Finns could be ideal.

It's either that or the Argos building which also has the upstairs

They are both interesting options alright. The iconic Finn's Corner with it's sportswear will never be the same again. Across the road from Finn's Corner is yet another iconic location: Singer's Corner. Both these business establishments have graced the T-Junction of Washington Street and Grand Parade for many generations of Corkonians now.

Eason's corner somehow does not have the same ring to it although; it would be an eye-catching change for locals and those who've visited Cork City Centre on a regular basis down through the years. On the other hand, if Eason's relocated to the former Argos unit by Queen's Old Castle it would be closer to Patrick Street and another busy bookseller, Waterstones which has entrance/exit on both Patrick Street & Paul Street to the rear. Finn's Corner would seems at odds for Eason's flagship Cork City Centre store as the flow in terms of sales/marketing/promotions on each floor level would not be the same I would have thought.

One must also wonder how long more to go for Mannix & Culhane's further down as I do not think it will continue on to the next generation of the family.

They are both interesting options alright. The iconic Finn's Corner with it's sportswear will never be the same again. Across the road from Finn's Corner is yet another iconic location: Singer's Corner. Both these business establishments have graced the T-Junction of Washington Street and Grand Parade for many generations of Corkonians now.

Eason's corner somehow does not have the same ring to it although; it would be an eye-catching change for locals and those who've visited Cork City Centre on a regular basis down through the years. On the other hand, if Eason's relocated to the former Argos unit by Queen's Old Castle it would be closer to Patrick Street and another busy bookseller, Waterstones which has entrance/exit on both Patrick Street & Paul Street to the rear. Finn's Corner would seems at odds for Eason's flagship Cork City Centre store as the flow in terms of sales/marketing/promotions on each floor level would not be the same I would have thought.

One must also wonder how long more to go for Mannix & Culhane's further down as I do not think it will continue on to the next generation of the family.

Mannix have several stores

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I wonder if EASON would have considered acquiring the former Quills/T R Lester building on left of main entrance to Savoy centre? I think it was EASON that had once traded in the former A-Wear outlet before moving to it's current location which was not far. EASON's current location was previously the ESB Retail Shop until around 1986 which then moved down to Academy Street for many years before they eventually sold off their entire retail store network.

ESB retail shop was brilliant. I'll take that TV, computer and washing machine. No problem Sir that'll be an extra tenner a month onto your bill :D

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    ESB retail shop was brilliant. I'll take that TV, computer and washing machine. No problem Sir that'll be an extra tenner a month onto your bill :D

Yes, I think Bank of Scotland Ireland / Halifax bought the ESB Retail Shop portfolio nationwide back in the day although; the ESB Retail Store on Academy Street in Cork City Centre did not become a bank branch as that particular branch would form part of the Opera Lane developments (O'Callaghan property development I think).

This is correct. They have other smaller stores located on Castle Street, Patrick Street and perhaps elsewhere in that area over the years. Some were "Mannix & Culhane" while others had just the name "Mannix" overhead. Their flagship stores would be located at Washington Street.

The record shop is delighted with their new location, Dosco I believe, by he was talking about lower rent and easy parking so is say he will stay where he is

Very interesting indeed. I worked in that industrial zone some years ago for a while. The trick is to avoid the rush hour traffic generated by Christ the King school nearby as it can be such a bottleneck at certain times!

I'm glad it worked out better for him as it must have been an absolute nightmare for all those businesses after (1) Major Floods and (2) Fire in the Multi-Story Car Park @Douglas Village forcing the shopping centre closure for such a prolonged period in the interests of public safety for all concerned. Traders deserve a break from the added stress and uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The record shop is delighted with their new location, Dosco I believe, by he was talking about lower rent and easy parking so is say he will stay where he is

Music Zone moved into Deanrock business Park.

Music Zone moved into Deanrock business Park.

Ah Deanrock, thanks for the correction I knew it was one of them.

What happened to the idea of containers on the woollen mills, did that ever get off the ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

This is correct. They have other smaller stores located on Castle Street, Patrick Street and perhaps elsewhere in that area over the years. Some were "Mannix & Culhane" while others had just the name "Mannix" overhead. Their flagship stores would be located at Washington Street.

Ive always thought that taking part pf their washington street property and turning into a bar and restaurant that opened onto the roof of that corner would be great, as prominent as it gets. No idea if the roof could take that or if anyone would go for it, just daydream stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I wonder if EASON would have considered acquiring the former Quills/T R Lester building on left of main entrance to Savoy centre? I think it was EASON that had once traded in the former A-Wear outlet before moving to it's current location which was not far. EASON's current location was previously the ESB Retail Shop until around 1986 which then moved down to Academy Street for many years before they eventually sold off their entire retail store network.

Are you saying that Eason's only moved to their current location in 1986?

That doesn't sound right to me, at all.
    I'd swear they were there in the late 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Are you saying that Eason's only moved to their current location in 1986?

That doesn't sound right to me, at all.
    I'd swear they were there in the late 70s

Yeah, it said it in an article on the echo the other day, there since 1986.

leahyl wrote: »
    Yeah, it said it in an article on the echo the other day, there since 1986.

Does this seem wrong to anyone else?

I'd swear I can remember Easons in its current location way before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Yes, I think Eason's relocated in the mid 1980s. Their previous shop was only a couple of doors down from the current one (one poster said it was the former A-Wear unit ). I really hope Eason doesn't vacate the city centre or downsize significantly. There are fewer and fewer bookshops in Cork.

Re: the ESB shop, I seem to remember that they were forced to close due to competition law. They had an unfair advantage over other retailers as they could offer hire purchase by just sticking everything on your ESB bill (as rob316 said) . I can remember them promoting it with printed flyers enclosed in the ESB bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Does this seem wrong to anyone else?

I'd swear I can remember Easons in its current location way before that.

No, that's about right. For some odd reason, I've incredibly vivid memories of the old store and the layout, particularly (and bizarrely) the stationary upstairs.

I can't fathom how they are still trading.
    Their customer base must be both dwindling and ageing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Augeo wrote: »

I have always entertained the idea that it's a front for some kind of crime syndicate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Augeo wrote: »

Mannix own a load of buildings around the city. All their profit is made from commercial rent. No idea why they keep their own shops open... Jobs for the family I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Does anyone know if Drake's Bistro (Academy St. / French Church St., right next to Bunsen I think) has closed for good? Last few times I've passed by since Christmas, it's been closed. Pity if so, it was a great spot to sit & dine out during the summer.

• Advertisement

No, that's about right. For some odd reason, I've incredibly vivid memories of the old store and the layout, particularly (and bizarrely) the stationary upstairs.

100% correct - The old EASON store was a few doors down as it used to be closer to the entrance of The Savoy Centre. I think A-Wear went in to same units at a later stage. I also have strong memories of the previous store sign which had green plastic EASON on a white surround background and there were extractor fans on the front exterior facade overhead. There were no escalators in the old EASON Store - it was a motionless staircase on right-hand-side wall. Top of stairs and into left was vinyl record store and if walking away from the Records section you had all the stationery, arts & crafts etc; Downstairs you had books, magazines, confectionery. Not sure if greeting cards were ground floor or upstairs in the previous store. One of the last music tracks blasting from that Records Dept in my memory of the old EASON branch on Patrick Street was the singer, Nena and the song "99 Red Balloons"! I recall when EASON's first moved into the old ESB Retail Store building and I can also remember the new EASON's store in it's early years having to be cleared of customers at least once if not more frequent due to bomb hoaxes as a result of paramilitary groups from the North! It was a volatile period in late 80's/ early 90's.

ESB Retail Shop was based in EASON's current location and we had only just purchased a brand new Creda electric cooker shortly before that ESB relocated to Academy Street. I'm not sure why ESB Retail Shop network closed nationwide - the impression was that they were loss making but this may not be entirely accurate as it was very popular. Perhaps ESB Retail Shops were no longer going to be permitted to be linked to ESB structure going forward which would have made it a less attractive proposition for any new buyer. ESB used have a monopoly until relatively recent times but this was changing over the past 15 years or so.

I have always entertained the idea that it's a front for some kind of crime syndicate ;)

I think it has been run by last generation for quite a while - Washington Street units anyway. I do not know how it continues to trade as they have been serving the older clientele for such a long time which must be a concern once existing customer pass away. They probably own most if not all of the various shop units so not paying rents to a landlord. I seem to recall a fire took place around mid 90's which may have later lead to the part demolition of the upper floors of the Washington Street premises to make it safe for the public. When Mannix & Culhane's closes it's doors for the last time, it will truly be the end of an era on Washington Street as it's been there since time immemorial.

https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/20514041/cork-city-cork-city

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4BfNYVpf-5k/UKJs-N38DLI/AAAAAAAAVhE/XXKLSbysFQ8/s1600/Washington_St.jpg

I think it has been run by last generation for quite a while - Washington Street units anyway. I do not know how it continues to trade as they have been serving the older clientele for such a long time which must be a concern once existing customer pass away. They probably own most if not all of the various shop units so not paying rents to a landlord. I seem to recall a fire took place around mid 90's which may have later lead to the part demolition of the upper floors of the Washington Street premises to make it safe for the public.

I think they lost their upper floors because of a nearby roof collapse. Was talking about the store a while back to an architect friend. Apparently part of the roof of the Cork film services building collapsed late '99 and a woman was killed in the street. From Mannix corner upwards the building were closed off for inspection and it led to the demolition.

Does anyone know what used to be upstairs in Queens Old Castle ? I presume Argos used it for offices or storage but never seen any movement up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

There used to be an old Toys R' Us or Murphy's toy shop equivalent in there, and a cafe from memory (as a very young kid)

I think they lost their upper floors because of a nearby roof collapse. .........

Indeed .............. An awful tragedy ........... https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rubble-kills-woman-in-city-building-collapse-26130433.html

100% correct - The old EASON store was a few doors down as it used to be closer to the entrance of The Savoy Centre. I think A-Wear went in to same units at a later stage. I also have strong memories of the previous store sign which had green plastic EASON on a white surround background and there were extractor fans on the front exterior facade overhead. There were no escalators in the old EASON Store - it was a motionless staircase on right-hand-side wall. Top of stairs and into left was vinyl record store and if walking away from the Records section you had all the stationery, arts & crafts etc; Downstairs you had books, magazines, confectionery. Not sure if greeting cards were ground floor or upstairs in the previous store. One of the last music tracks blasting from that Records Dept in my memory of the old EASON branch on Patrick Street was the singer, Nena and the song "99 Red Balloons"! I recall when EASON's first moved into the old ESB Retail Store building and I can also remember the new EASON's store in it's early years having to be cleared of customers at least once if not more frequent due to bomb hoaxes as a result of paramilitary groups from the North! It was a volatile period in late 80's/ early 90's.

ESB Retail Shop was based in EASON's current location and we had only just purchased a brand new Creda electric cooker shortly before that ESB relocated to Academy Street. I'm not sure why ESB Retail Shop network closed nationwide - the impression was that they were loss making but this may not be entirely accurate as it was very popular. Perhaps ESB Retail Shops were no longer going to be permitted to be linked to ESB structure going forward which would have made it a less attractive proposition for any new buyer. ESB used have a monopoly until relatively recent times but this was changing over the past 15 years or so.

I still don't think that the 1986 date for this move is correct.

99 Red balloons was 1983 but I reckon the move was even earlier than that.

I seem to be in a minority of one, but I cannot believe that Eason's only went into the current unit in 1986

bingo9999 wrote: »
    There used to be an old Toys R' Us or Murphy's toy shop equivalent in there, and a cafe from memory (as a very young kid)

Noddies was downstairs right at the back entrance. We bought our first computer in there as well, I've a feeling but can't be certain that was upstairs. I remember the café in the middle and being scared of the Megadeth tshirts in the store of the front left.

Does anyone know what used to be upstairs in Queens Old Castle ? I presume Argos used it for offices or storage but never seen any movement up there.

There was a night club there for a while. Sable's, maybe?

I still don't think that the 1986 date for this move is correct.

99 Red balloons was 1983 but I reckon the move was even earlier than that.

I seem to be in a minority of one, but I cannot believe that Eason's only went into the current unit in 1986

No, 1986 is right. I remember being in town and them clearing out the old store. It was winter and I was freezing because I left my jacket in the car. I was fascinated by the Prince August stuff they had just put out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

bingo9999 wrote: »

I think it was a Toymaster store.

Advertisement