Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

anacc wrote: »
    I think it was a Toymaster store.

Thats the one

Noddies was downstairs right at the back entrance. We bought our first computer in there as well, I've a feeling but can't be certain that was upstairs. I remember the café in the middle and being scared of the Megadeth tshirts in the store of the front left.

That took my back to a few memories I had forgotten. Got me searching, some good pictures in this article showing the old centre

https://www.echolive.ie/nostalgia/Picture-special-Another-twist-in-the-Queens-Old-Castle-tale-01077670-b530-4f58-9a4c-4aad45384dde-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There was a short lived Beshoff in the front of the QOC, left hand side, upstairs and downstairs.
    I don't know how long it lasted and I don't think I was ever in there.

Augeo wrote: »

Am I wrong in saying this was not upstairs in the Mannix premises but down closer to centra/dominos/ Alibi? Thats what I remember, and think they added a plinth on the roofline to prevent future things falling, rather than any demolition?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Am I wrong in saying this was not upstairs in the Mannix premises but down closer to centra/dominos/ Alibi? Thats what I remember, and think they added a plinth on the roofline to prevent future things falling, rather than any demolition?

Yep it wasn't from the Mannix building but they apparently closed off the road and inspected a lot of the premises as a result of the incident. Mannix was found to be dangerous so they demolished the top two floors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

Her name was Aoife Bell from Kerrypike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I think there were a couple of incidents within the space of a few hours/days.

I remember around the time of that accident, walking by that junction during the afternoon and when I returned about an hour later there was a massive hole in the middle of the street (South Main St.) where some pipe had blown it wide open. Considering that was right by Mannix's perhaps that was what caused that building to be partly demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I still don't think that the 1986 date for this move is correct.

99 Red balloons was 1983 but I reckon the move was even earlier than that.

I seem to be in a minority of one, but I cannot believe that Eason's only went into the current unit in 1986

I think the 1986 year came from a news article I read and this period resonates with me only because we bought our electric cooker at ESB Retail Shop on Patrick Street some time in 1985/1986 while Eason's were in their previous location as they moved into former ESB Patrick Street premises afterwards.

In relation to 99 Red Balloons from NENA what I meant was I recall it playing while the old Eason's record dept was around so in my mind it was the old store. I was not confirming that the song was released in 1986. Apparently UK and Ireland No. 1 in 1984 having done a check.

https://www.officialcharts.com/search/singles/99-red-balloons/
    UK Chart run (12 weeks / 04.02.1984 - 21.04.1984)

Irish Charts:
    3rd to 24th March 1984
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number-one_singles_of_1984_(Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,488 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is news from the night the building collapsed in Washington Street! If you look at the end f the video you also hear about Cork plans to ring in the new millennium!

Yep it wasn't from the Mannix building but they apparently closed off the road and inspected a lot of the premises as a result of the incident. Mannix was found to be dangerous so they demolished the top two floors.

There has been no shortage of discussion and observations about the state of buildings in this part of Cork for many years.

http://archiseek.com/discussion/topic/destruction-of-corks-historic-core/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/premises-vacated-in-cork-safety-check-1.232320

I am unable to source a reference or link but I recall returning to Cork City after having been away one weekend and the vehicle I was returning home passed Mannix & Culhane's along South Main Street and it had suffered fire damage to it's upper floor and I reckon it was some time around mid 90's period.

I believe the subsequent part demolition of same may not have been completed for a number of years afterwards especially; after the serious incident on Washington Street outside another premises as the local authorities decided to inspect neighbouring properties on the street that posed similar risk to public health & safety. The building has never looked right since it's upper floors had to be made safe but it had to be done in the interests of public safety.

• Advertisement

There was a short lived Beshoff in the front of the QOC, left hand side, upstairs and downstairs.
    I don't know how long it lasted and I don't think I was ever in there.

I recall Beshoff's Fish/Seafood type restaurant in the Queen's Old Castle. It seems to be short-lived and lay empty longer than it's trading period on site. I think FM Music Store occupied the ground floor on this unit previous to this. I'm not sure if "Mirror Mirror" were all 1st Floor window frontage at the time? Beshoff's never gained traction in Cork City although; it had more success in Dublin from what I recall back in the day.

That took my back to a few memories I had forgotten. Got me searching, some good pictures in this article showing the old centre

https://www.echolive.ie/nostalgia/Picture-special-Another-twist-in-the-Queens-Old-Castle-tale-01077670-b530-4f58-9a4c-4aad45384dde-ds

I can recall Penney's Department Store (which include their café overlooking Grand Parade window being at Queen's Old Castle. Penny's would later transfer down to the former Munster Arcade Department Store on Patrick Street around late 70's or start of 1980's period.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Gino's Ice Cream to open their third Cork store on Patrick Street, in the old Vodafone/ Cudmores unit

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/ice-cream-sales-to-return-to-iconic-former-food-shop-on-corks-st-patrick-street-975478.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. What's the new place where there was once a garage by the Outpost pub in Bishopstown? Someone said they saw a sign about a cheap PC on sale - a Dell? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I still don't think that the 1986 date for this move is correct.

99 Red balloons was 1983 but I reckon the move was even earlier than that.

I seem to be in a minority of one, but I cannot believe that Eason's only went into the current unit in 1986

You know songs from a released year can be played in later years (which possibly is what you are recollecting)? I can currently hear Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and Karma Chameleon being played in shops every second day....doesn't mean it's 1983/4!

I can recall Penney's Department Store (which include their café overlooking Grand Parade window being at Queen's Old Castle. Penny's would later transfer down to the former Munster Arcade Department Store on Patrick Street around late 70's or start of 1980's period.

My Mum worked in Penney's when it was in the QOC up to the mid 70s :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

satanta99 wrote: »
    Gino's Ice Cream to open their third Cork store on Patrick Street, in the old Vodafone/ Cudmores unit

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/ice-cream-sales-to-return-to-iconic-former-food-shop-on-corks-st-patrick-street-975478.html

That’s great news, delighted to hear it - it’s a perfect location for an ice cream shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

satanta99 wrote: »

How come that take away food outlet is allowed and Starbucks wasn't? Granted Starbucks didn't follow proper planning process but it seems different rules apply for similar food or beverage operators? Ultimately Centra also allows you to order takeaway coffee but is also allowed....

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

ongarboy wrote: »
    How come that take away food outlet is allowed and Starbucks wasn't? Granted Starbucks didn't follow proper planning process but it seems different rules apply for similar food or beverage operators? Ultimately Centra also allows you to order takeaway coffee but is also allowed....

They did apply for a change of use for the outlet they opened on Oliver Plunkett Street when converting it from retail to an ice cream parlour. (File ref. 1837733)

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1837733/0

No sign of a similar application when they opened on Paul Street.

This is the relevant Objective for a Prime Retail Frontage such as this in the development plan:

Objective 13.4 Protection of Prime and Key Secondary Retail Frontage
    To restrict retail offices, general offices, hot food takeaways, general convenience stores, public houses, night clubs, mobile phone shops, bookmakers/betting shops and restaurant uses from locating at ground floor level on prime retail frontages, and restrict retail offices, general offices, hot food takeaways, bookmakers/betting shops at ground floor level on secondary retail frontages (as defined in Map 2, Volume 2).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

leahyl wrote: »
    That’s great news, delighted to hear it - it’s a perfect location for an ice cream shop!

Should look nice on that location too with all the coloured lights. Good addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Douglas Court I believe.

That's right. Over near the Jewelers.

Eason & Son Ltd. Booksellers previously located at Number 111/112 Patrick Street, Cork according to below business directory dated 1976

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/stpatricksstreet/businessdirectories/1976/

Eason currently occupies 113/115 Patrick Street in Cork City Centre and has announced it has sold the building to Sports Direct International/SDI (Cork) and will be moving to an undisclosed new location at some point next year.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/eason-to-relocate-corks-st-patricks-street-store-974293.html

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi. What's the new place where there was once a garage by the Outpost pub in Bishopstown? Someone said they saw a sign about a cheap PC on sale - a Dell? Thanks.

That sign is up at Donoghues car wash for ages.

Carey's Tool Hire have not moved as of yet as the article confirms that construction of their new premises is not due to start until March with a view to occupation in eleven months time as December 2020 is referenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

The owners of the building should be liable for damages and a settlement should be paid to the family. Pure greed and entitlement leaving those buildings to rot and fall down, taking up space which could be used by other local people. Only stingy awful people could live with themselves after an incident like that and not make any repairs to the properties they own.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Carey's Tool Hire have not moved as of yet as the article confirms that construction of their new premises is not due to start until March with a view to occupation in eleven months time as December 2020 is referenced.

I hope this development clears that scrapyard/encampment. What an eyesore

The owners of the building should be liable for damages and a settlement should be paid to the family. Pure greed and entitlement leaving those buildings to rot and fall down, taking up space which could be used by other local people. Only stingy awful people could live with themselves after an incident like that and not make any repairs to the properties they own.

This was 20 years ago, I think it's been sorted by now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

This was 20 years ago, I think it's been sorted by now...

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Plan-to-regenerate-North-Main-Street-in-the-offing-65104d76-8c0a-4079-824c-9425417438eb-ds
    The building that collapsed recently on NMSt isn't belong to the Mannix family as far as I've heard but their shops are an eyesore, dilapidated, bringing down the quality of several areas in town. They're dangerously under-maintained as well. The buildings have killed and injured people in the past and there's every likelihood that with their continued trajectory and increasing bad weather, they'll hurt someone again soon.

• Advertisement

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Plan-to-regenerate-North-Main-Street-in-the-offing-65104d76-8c0a-4079-824c-9425417438eb-ds
    The building that collapsed recently on NMSt isn't belong to the Mannix family as far as I've heard but their shops are an eyesore, dilapidated, bringing down the quality of several areas in town. They're dangerously under-maintained as well. The buildings have killed and injured people in the past and there's every likelihood that with their continued trajectory and increasing bad weather, they'll hurt someone again soon.

Sorry, that's a very dangerous accusation to make towards one of the oldest family businesses in the City with no proof.

They are subject to building regulations like everyone else.

It wasn't their building that collapsed 20 years ago, nor do they have anything to do with North Main street?

I dont get why you have jumped in on this one

Advertisement