Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Speaking of mathan it's public transport links are very good.

During the week the 202 stops right outside the place every 10 mins to and from the town. They moved the spot from the halting site about time i might add.

The there is the 215 that runs every 30 mins and stops in front of mathan and the offices as well. They have extra buses on when work starts and ends.

I find it a very easy area to get in and out off and the traffic is not as bad on to you hit the city. From the eleasaym to the key 30 mins yesterday due to bumper to bumper traffic in the city no idea what was going on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see soundstore have closed their oliver plunket st shop yet another empty unit.

ofcork wrote: »
    I see soundstore have closed their oliver plunket st shop yet another empty unit.

Not to be bad I seen them working in that shop I think something is moving in there.

Also, I don't see the point of sounds like that been in the city centre ?. AS like who really is able to get a 50 inch TV from a shop like that ?. Or anything big ?. Laptops at best if what it will be able to sell.

While there store in Blackpool I understand As it can sell large items quite easy same as their store in Wilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Fashionable address on Patrick Street, suit your plans?, Irish Examiner

FASHION retailers are to the forefront of interest in the just-amalgamated retail unit at No 83-85 Patrick Street in Cork city centre, where four floors now provide 5,600 sq ft of modern retail and office/storage, in an investment by Davy Real Estate.

Fashion retailers are eyeing up these three recently amalgamated buildings.

Agents Aisling Doyle and Lia Dennehy of Savills, Cork, say with the scaffold removed and the three facades revealed at this ‘High Street’ junction with Careys Lane, retail interest is expected to consolidate in autumn.

They seek a rent of €250,000 pa, with 2,800 sq ft retail available at ground.

Despite a currently patchy retail scene since early 2017, recent positive moves have seen The Capitol now completed with 40,000 sq ft MSU retail space occupied by TK Maxx’s HomeSense, next to Lifestyle Sports, plus the Oyster bar, with 50,000 sq ft of offices overhead. Lifestyle Sports relocated from the former River Island unit on Patrick Street and their smaller space there is expected to come available soon as a sub-let.

Another home goods company Sostrene Grene opened for business a number of months ago at No’s 74/75 Patrick Street in the former Mothercare building, and Savills’ Ms Dennehy says a deal is just now agreed at Quills by the Savoy, opposite Debenhams, to an as-yet unidentified, non-fashion new trading arrival to Cork.

O’Callaghan Properties Opera Lane scheme is now fully occupied, after H&M grew their presence to 35,000 sq ft. And Penneys are finally likely to lodge for planning of major expansion in the next month, and internal changes at Merchant Quay are also set to start shortly under its new ownership.

However Savills yesterday confirmed that the Italian restaurant chain Carluccios has pulled out of plans to open in Cork city centre at French Church Street, at the back of the Moderne building. The Moderne’s makeover was also overseen by Davy Real Estate, which holds €290m of Irish real estate assets. It achieved a three year return of 27.3% up to the 31st December 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Little Island is doing well for good food outlets recently.

Chopped opened in the Spar and Perry St. is gone in by the post office, not sure is Perry St. open yet though as its only the signage changed i havent seen advertising or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

ofcork wrote: »

Jon clare clothes shop moving n there. Penneys have bought their building further down the street.
    Sad to think there is now no real electronics shop in the city centre afaik

Dbu wrote: »
    Jon clare clothes shop moving n there. Penneys have bought their building further down the street.
    Sad to think there is now no real electronics shop in the city centre afaik

They can't/won't compete on price with what people can get online so it's not surprising really that they are gone.

They can't/won't compete on price with what people can get online so it's not surprising really that they are gone.

I bought my Panasonic from them out in Walton soundstore that is.

Was cheaper then online and got it the best day.

Paid 1200 for it was 1650 in Currys, Harry Norman's did not sell it and just walked off when I asked can you get and never came back . Richer sounds was 1400 or so for it.

Soundstore where only ones who wonted to sell the tv to me.

Yah also I don't think you be able to get a 58 inch tv posted to easy ha.

Would have to disagree with that really
    Always found them good to do a deal.
    Fair enough buying small electronic items online, but a 55 inch tv, I would definitively buy instore if I had the option.

A pedestrianised street in a city center isn't a great location for the likes of the SoundStore, their Wilton and Blackpool outlets will be doubt continue to do well.

Got a great TV off them last year at a great price. They are well able to compete with online options and the likes of HN etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Augeo wrote: »
    A pedestrianised street in a city center isn't a great location for the likes of the SoundStore, their Wilton and Blackpool outlets will be doubt continue to do well.

Got a great TV off them last year at a great price. They are well able to compete with online options and the likes of HN etc

agree with you here. These type of stores you need to be able to drive a car to the front door. I buy all my electronic and appliances from their Wilton location and find them always excellent and very competitive. I believe they are an Irish company as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, Sarsfield Rd, is usually my first stop for electrics. Was looking for a cooker hood recently. Picked up a piece of rubbish from DID, had second thoughts and bought a LUX 60 Model at Soundstore. Picked it up at their depot as it would take 5 days to travel, the mile to the shop???

Think the Crowleys, as in MEP are involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,491 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Newbridge opened in Mahon Today!

21032460_10155025700941925_1295903043358470942_n.jpg?oh=d566309a3dca9d78b28140723b6fe0a5&oe=5A1AC330

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Looks great, they have some nice jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,491 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Looks great, they have some nice jewellery.

I think it's good knowing that if you want a Newbridge item there is a good chance that they'll have it!

Yah also I don't think you be able to get a 58 inch tv posted to easy ha.

I'be bought two 40 inch tvs online in the last few years, both came from the UK and no issue delivering. Not much difference delivering a 40 inch or a 58 inch from a delivery point of view.

I'be bought two 40 inch tvs online in the last few years, both came from the UK and no issue delivering. Not much difference delivering a 40 inch or a 58 inch from a delivery point of view.

Id still rather like to buy these goods in a store, or from a website in Ireland at least

There is when it takes nearly 3 people to carry the box into the house. As yes it was that big.

The tv as as thinner then a phone but some house the box was the size of small car ha. It was listed as 48kg to make it worse.
    Id still rather like to buy these goods in a store, or from a website in Ireland at least

Nail on the head with tv's I done the mistake of the tv that I brought from power city online before this did not get to see it in action it was useless and then it broke twice and had to go to court and the fight some more to get my refund.

But anyway when your spending over 1200 euros on a t.v. you won't to know what it's like on person

Grand designs on coffee pod? Then go expresso your interest
    THERE’s chatter about the arrival of a Starbucks on Cork city’s South Mall, but, in advance of any confirmation of another city swoop by the bean giant, Cork City Council’s Grand Parade Kiosk 3, at the riverside junction with South Mall comes back up to let.

The 430 sq ft unit has been vacated by Electric bar owner Ernest Cantillon’s cafe Yellow Sub.

Offers are sought for cafe and/or retail use by Rob Coughlan of Cohalan Downing by September 25, for a four year and nine month lease. Mr Coughlan, who located Bean and Leaf at Grand Parade/Oliver Plunkett Street last year, declined to comment on rents, likely to be in excess of €20,000 pa.

Meanwhile, major corner building works are well advanced at the previously derelict, South Mall/Parliament Street corner property bought by the Cleary family via Allsops.

Speculation has suggested Starbucks may occupy, as John Cleary Developments are landlords to the coffee leviathon already in Mahon, and at One Albert Quay. JCD also plan a restaurant at a new office scheme at 85/86 South Mall.

Meanwhile, Mark Kavanagh of Lisney confirms a letting of the long vacant retail niche building, previously Maddens Electrical, by Parliament Bridge.

Seeking c €20,00 pa, he cut a five year deal with the 2016 Wahl British and Irish Barber of the Year Andrea Raymond, and Leanne Edwards, who’ll trade as Asylum Barbers, from late August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

That maddens rental spot must have been empty for about 10 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

DylanGLC wrote: »

Great to see those two buildings finally being tidied up! I saw the "Asylum" name up already, was baffled about what was going in there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone know who's going in where Panda Mama were on Parnell place? I'd heard it's supposed to be a pizza place but haven't heard anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone know who's going in where Panda Mama were on Parnell place? I'd heard it's supposed to be a pizza place but haven't heard anything else.

It says in this article that Sliced is going in there.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/full-menus-on-offer-as-cork-restaurants-make-changes-457585.html

They already have a place in Ballincollig

Does anyone know more about what is going into the building at the junction of the South Mall and Parliament Street (rumoured to be Starbucks)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Does anyone know more about what is going into the building at the junction of the South Mall and Parliament Street (rumoured to be Starbucks)?

I heard that rumour & also one that it was another UK based coffee chain, must have a good stare in the window next time I'm walking past for any clues!

opus wrote: »
    I heard that rumour & also one that it was another UK based coffee chain, must have a good stare in the window next time I'm walking past for any clues!

Its starbucks

opus wrote: »

Caffe Nero? That would be nice seeing as they lost St Patrick Street (which actually, the shop they were supposed to go in - The Calendar Club - was open today). I would prefer Starbucks just because I really like how they design their buildings inside and outside, but Costa, Starbucks or Caffe Nero would all be good.
    Its starbucks
    Is that confirmed?

Caffe Nero? That would be nice seeing as they lost St Patrick Street (which actually, the shop they were supposed to go in - The Calendar Club - was open today). I would prefer Starbucks just because I really like how they design their buildings inside and outside, but Costa, Starbucks or Caffe Nero would all be good.

Is that confirmed?

Guy from city council confirmed it

Cafe nero opening in the old Ovens bar afaik

Guy from city council confirmed it

Cafe nero opening in the old Ovens bar afaik

Nice to know, thanks :) Weird Starbucks are going for white/cream but it looks great compared to what was there before. It will really add life to that area, especially when added to the new barbers further down the street.

And they are, the hoardings cover the whole thing so you can't see inside but it must definitely be nearly done as it has been going on for months. Hopefully it will open around Halloween

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard about tenants for Navigation Square or the South Mall offices?

Advertisement