Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So despite the fact that the shopping centre are explicitly not sueing the driver, nobody from the centre has come out with proof that the car was on fire when it entered the centre, nobody from the gardaí has come out with proof that the car was on fire when it entered the centre and nobody who was there has come out with proof that the car was on fire when it entered the centre you're saying that the car was on fire when it entered the centre because...? :confused:

dulpit wrote: »
    So despite the fact that the shopping centre are explicitly not sueing the driver, nobody from the centre has come out with proof that the car was on fire when it entered the centre, nobody from the gardaí has come out with proof that the car was on fire when it entered the centre and nobody who was there has come out with proof that the car was on fire when it entered the centre you're saying that the car was on fire when it entered the centre because...? :confused:

This is exactly what I said...........
    Augeo wrote: »
    I'm not sure CCTV footage is 100% proof that there wasn't some smoke when the car entered tbh .......... "Manager of the shopping centre Bartosz Mieszala says despite initial reports that smoke was seen coming from the car as it entered the car park, CCTV footage from the centre proves that was not the case"

The naked eye can likely see a tad better than CCTV can capture.

A shopping centre manager stating the car wasn't on fire according to CCTV entering the carpark is not proof.

Pinpointing the exact time a car started going on fire is fairly difficult.

Do you think it's 100% definite that the fire started when the car was parked up? All that's been posted here is a redfm link with a quote from the shopping centre manager, who isn't a fire scene investigator I imagine.

Cool your jets anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is exactly what I said...........

A shopping centre manager stating the car wasn't on fire according to CCTV entering the carpark is not proof.

Pinpointing the exact time a car started going on fire is fairly difficult.

Do you think it's 100% definite that the fire started when the car was parked up? All that's been posted here is a redfm link with a quote from the shopping centre manager, who isn't a fire scene investigator I imagine.

Cool your jets anyway :)

Can you find a witness to say that the car was on fire, entering?
    I've never hard anything remotely like proof that the car was on fire entering - just social media rumours and stories.

But despite people publicly going on record saying that the car was not on fire when entering - people still prefer to believe that the car was billowing smoke when entering - I guess its more salacious that way and people can have a laugh and point the finger at the stupid foreign woman.

Also, isn't there a thread already on the shopping centre fire??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,037 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I find it hard to believe someone drove into a car park with their car on fire looking for help. 99.9999% of people would get out of the car fast and leave it on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,486 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do know if you try and stop a driver who’s car has an issue or they about to drive into a fatal accident. They’ve a habit of ignoring you.
    I can’t comment on this case tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Is Dunnes Stores Merchants Quay closed down. It looks like stock has been cleared out inside. No sign of reopening.

If they are closing it I hope this won’t turn into another hoarded empty site that Dunnes sit on for ages leaving a big blot on the city. They only recently sold off a site in limerick that they had sat on for years.

I don’t think they owned the North Main Street site but they still left an eyesore when they pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

spotted Quiz in Douglas Court boxing up all their stock in store today :(

Can you find a witness to say that the car was on fire, entering?
    I've never hard anything remotely like proof that the car was on fire entering - just social media rumours and stories..............

Can you find a witness not relying on CCTV that it wasn't?

............was billowing smoke

Who said anything about billowing smoke?
    I won't even quote the rest of your comment about the ladies nationality etc as I've no idea where you are getting that from and it's nothing to do with anything.

Also, isn't there a thread already on the shopping centre fire??

You say that after a you give a spiel about the fire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Not been in the city since March. Are the shops busy? Would you be queueing for Penney’s still?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

jadie wrote: »
    Not been in the city since March. Are the shops busy? Would you be queueing for Penney’s still?

I believe the queues for the two Penneys in the city has gone down. Wilton's queue is supposed to be fine, I passed the one in the city centre recently (around 6:30) and there was no queue. Most other shops I have been in, whether it was city centre or elsewhere, don't have queues anymore as the numbers are more manageable, even in supermarkets

• Advertisement

jadie wrote: »

Seen very few queues lately. If there is queues its for the fast turnover stores, like Tesco, Lidl, Dealz. I haven't waited for a single clothes shop.

satanta99 wrote: »
    Is Dunnes Stores Merchants Quay closed down. It looks like stock has been cleared out inside. No sign of reopening.

If they are closing it I hope this won’t turn into another hoarded empty site that Dunnes sit on for ages leaving a big blot on the city. They only recently sold off a site in limerick that they had sat on for years.

I don’t think they owned the North Main Street site but they still left an eyesore when they pulled out.

Surprised Merchants Quay was open that long, with a far superior offering across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I believe the queues for the two Penneys in the city has gone down. Wilton's queue is supposed to be fine, I passed the one in the city centre recently (around 6:30) and there was no queue. Most other shops I have been in, whether it was city centre or elsewhere, don't have queues anymore as the numbers are more manageable, even in supermarkets

English market now only has security on the entrances between 11am and 3pm, all other times gates on Princes Street and Grand Parade are just open for public access

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

satanta99 wrote: »

Dunnes to reopen in Mid August with autumn and winter stock, good news all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

roundymac wrote: »
    Dunnes to reopen in Mid August with autumn and winter stock, good news all round.

Phew, that would be a disaster altogether - one of the first stores you hit when coming in from the northside area, so to have that space empty would have been pretty bad.

rob316 wrote: »
    Surprised Merchants Quay was open that long, with a far superior offering across the road.

Dunnes Patrick Street?
    Do they do non groceries?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,486 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Dunnes Patrick Street?

Yes, they’ve a great selection of non groceries. It’s streets ahead of Mechants Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Dunnes Patrick Street?

They've 3 floors of non groceries. The groceries are in the basement floor section.

Dunnes Patrick Street?

about 3 floors of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭opus

Outdooring seating area I believe for the bars on Union Quay (L'Atitude 51, Charlies, El Fenix & Union Grind). Great idea, should have been done ages ago.

520564.jpg

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    Outdooring seating area I believe for the bars on Union Quay (L'Atitude 51, Charlies, El Fenix & Union Grind). Great idea, should have been done ages ago.

I was wondering why they moved the bottle banks.
    Great news. I'm surprised someone didn't put a spanner in the works because of the proximity of the river and alcohol consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I thought L'Attidude at the corner of Union Quay and Anglesea St. had closed down last year?
    Has something else gone in there?

Seamai wrote: »
    I thought L'Attidude at the corner of Union Quay and Anglesea St. had closed down last year?
    Has something else gone in there?

There was a fire. The plan was for L'atitude 51 to reopen this summer - I don't know what the virus has done to those plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭opus

Should be opening in the next few months I was told also, original plan was March 17th but that didn't end well.

opus wrote: »
    Should be opening in the next few months I was told also, original plan was March 17th but that didn't end well.

That date was extremely optimistic - I didn't believe it for a moment.
    But, yes, now that you mention it, that was the plan, not Summer as I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Hopefully they put in some nice paving that can be made permanent rather than something temporary looking that will end up becoming permanent. Easier to get it right the 1st time. Anyways great to see something being done spur of the moment with no unnecessary consultation. In my opinion, Union Quay should be made one way (going from Copley Street to Anglsea Street). Assuming the riverside parking is kept, move that into the now unused car lane and extend the footpath to create more room for seating while maintaining space for people to walk passed. A pedestrian crossing or two wouldn't hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Seems to be a big beauty tanning salon going in where Daily's was next to Kubo in Douglas :/

Any news on the Cotton Ball Brewery on MacCurtain Street?

Yes, they’ve a great selection of non groceries. It’s streets ahead of Mechants Quay.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    They've 3 floors of non groceries. The groceries are in the basement floor section.
    rob316 wrote: »
    about 3 floors of it.

cheers chaps, don't think I've ever been in Dunnes Patrick Street, used to stroll into the Merchant's Quay one from Roches/Debenhams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭RINO87

Great news. I'm surprised someone didn't put a spanner in the works because of the proximity of the river and alcohol consumption.

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!! Dont be giving people ideas now!
    Seating there will be great, it's a right little suntrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Cork City Council:

"Looking to drop your glass recycling to our bring bank at Union Quay?

To help make room for chairs & tables we have moved our recycling banks further down on union quay (just past Cork School of Music)"

And yeh, Lattitude will be re-opening, I'm guessing they lost time on building work and now internal changes to cope with distancing, but back over the next few months I hope

Advertisement