Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Went by the Nano Nagle pedestrian bridge over the weekend and noticed it was closed off. Anyone know why?

There seemed to be some damage to the surface, so maybe it's just for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,037 ✭✭✭✭rob316

who_me wrote: »
    Went by the Nano Nagle pedestrian bridge over the weekend and noticed it was closed off. Anyone know why?

There seemed to be some damage to the surface, so maybe it's just for repairs.

It going to be cobble to match the rest of the grand parade as the wood is rotting. What ya know, wood over water was a bad idea :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

GREAT NEWS! I noticed they did the same to the wooden decking on grand parade outside the park. Looks much better. That bridge always felt dilapidated.

It's back open, they just threw tar on it instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

rob316 wrote: »

Looks terrible. Is that it then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Looks terrible. Is that it then?

https://twitter.com/MouseCork/status/1285982915151757312?s=19

City Council seriously have no pride in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭RINO87

This seems to be a thing now - Maybe two years ago loads of streets in Limerick got this treatment, and it looks terrible! Earlier this year they ripped up a load of cobbles in Galway and replaced it with this crap too

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

They did the same with the cobbled crossings at GrandParade/Washington street junction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

RINO87 wrote: »
    This seems to be a thing now - Maybe two years ago loads of streets in Limerick got this treatment, and it looks terrible! Earlier this year they ripped up a load of cobbles in Galway and replaced it with this crap too

To be fair, the cobbles in Galway were atrocious. I couldn't keep count of all the stories of people tripping on them, in particular elderly persons. They were extremely dangerous. I would not be surprised if the change to the tarmac was spurred on by the claims cost. At the least they have retained cobbles along the border of the street.

At the risk of dragging this further off topic (!), the state of some of the paths in this city leaves a LOT to be desired.

The problem with any stone cobbling or paving is it cracks and moves out of place Outside my house there is a number of paving slabs rising that I could trip over and make a claim to the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

rob316 wrote: »

Surface is not bad at all if you walk on it.
    Railings of the bridge itself being painted would make a massive improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Dbu wrote: »
    Surface is not bad at all if you walk on it.
    Railings of the bridge itself being painted would make a massive improvement

Cant fathom how they are so narrowly focussed that they improve the surface and dont see the railings.

@Rob316 - where did you hear it was going to be cobbles? Maybe thats to follow, he said, deludedly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see M&P O’Sullivan has bought all of the assets and name of Brennan’s Caterworld - apparently will continue to run the business under the same name

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I see M&P O’Sullivan has bought all of the assets and name of Brennan’s Caterworld - apparently will continue to run the business under the same name

That’s actually great to hear.

Does that keep the retail shop on OPS? I assume not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Heard turners cross tavern will not be reopening - thought it was doing well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Cant fathom how they are so narrowly focussed that they improve the surface and dont see the railings.

@Rob316 - where did you hear it was going to be cobbles? Maybe thats to follow, he said, deludedly

The railings are now being painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Anyone know if it’s true that Artys in Ballincollig won’t be reopening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

whatever76 wrote: »

I thought so aswell. Seems strange after all the work that went into it too close it down

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The railings are now being painted.

Saw that, I was too quick to throw my snark. Fair play

https://twitter.com/MouseCork/status/1287784946594086913

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

whatever76 wrote: »

I’m not sure this is correct. I know they are doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Crowleys Opticians are opening a new store in Ballincollig in the former Ulster Bank unit on the corner of Main Street and Station Road. Fitout works are currently underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thejuggler

satanta99 wrote: »
    Crowleys Opticians are opening a new store in Ballincollig in the former Ulster Bank unit on the corner of Main Street and Station Road. Fitout works are currently underway.

Good news! Slightly off topic but what is the story with the entrance to Ballincollig Garda station across the road. Seems to have scaffolding in place for years?

I gather the Garda Traffic Corps are based there now and renovations were completed last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭ofcork

See McDonald on daunt square being painted must be reopening soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

ofcork wrote: »

I'm surprised McDonalds in general haven't opened sooner tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭ofcork

Think that's the only one that's still closed?

ofcork wrote: »

Is that the ground floor green after doing the higher floors in grey before/after lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I just heard from someone who works there that Eason is not opening back up at all in town.

Very disappointing news. Thought they were moving to a smaller premises but not anymore

Sincere apologies to everyone about this. I only know the person as an acquaintance and they told me they worked in Easons. I have found out they do, but they worked in the small coffee shop that was upstairs. It was this that they meant. The coffee shop wont be reopening.

So hopefully the actual shop Easons will be but I don't know. Sorry for confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

It was open when I passed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

Sincere apologies to everyone about this. I only know the person as an acquaintance and they told me they worked in Easons. I have found out they do, but they worked in the small coffee shop that was upstairs. It was this that they meant. The coffee shop wont be reopening.

So hopefully the actual shop Easons will be but I don't know. Sorry for confusion.

Easons is open alright.

Advertisement