Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ext Hard Drive failed - Best storage method

Options
  • 11-10-2015 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

My WD external hard drive failed in Jan 2015 I replaced it with a Samsung which has now also failed so what is my best method of storage.

Generally I'm storing photos and music so about 150 gb max. I think my options are:
      Get another external hard drive. Get a NAS drive but I don't really know a lot about them. Put everything in the cloud, I have a small drop box account and iCloud but this seems a bit expensive per year.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

What i would do is email Samsung. That is a very short lifespan of an external hard drive.unless you were throwing it around the place it should last a lot longer than that. They might replace it for you.

Personally i wouldn't go near cloud for that much storage, your right it is expensive.

So i would go with buying another.
    I've had a Toshiba canvio basic 1tb hard drive ( on Amazon uk)for over a year and a half and not a bother on it.i would recommend that.

Or possibly buy 2 500gb ones and then you won't loose everything if it fails.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭pavb2

Thanks cg the drive fell about 2 inches off my table onto a shelf Similar story with the WD one so I'm a bit reluctant to go down that road again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

mate i have an old FREECOM drive hehe would you believe still running after 12 years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

mate i have an old FREECOM drive hehe would you believe still running after 12 years

048800ef_b2kdb7.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pavb2 wrote: »
    Thanks cg the drive fell about 2 inches off my table onto a shelf Similar story with the WD one so I'm a bit reluctant to go down that road again.

Portable drives are horrendous. They take far too much abuse.

A basic 1TB NAS would be perfect. WD make some nice little units that can sit safely on a shelf. Basic but user friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its possible the circuit boards ,or the power supplys of one or both of those external drives
    are faulty.
    IF you remove the drives put them in a caddy the drives might work fine.
    i have 2 external drives, after 5 years they both work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Google photos give you unlimited storage for photos (with some compression), or Flickr give you 1TB for photos.
    Google music will let you upload 20,000 tracks for free and you can use their app to stream the tracks from there. Handy as a backup.

A NAS is essntially another hardrive but with network capabilities. Many of them have handy apps etc that make things very easy for you to access media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Also got an old Freecom drive, 400GB capacity, had it for 9 years now. I don't fire it up too often, but she still works perfectly :D

For the OP, if you only have about 150GB then I'd consider a cloud solution. I find Copy to be quite good and their pricing plans are pretty reasonable I think. They are owned by Barracuda so are reputable and reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Build a file server from a cheap/old machine. Put it somewhere save.

Always have backup's then drive failure isn't a big deal.

Advertisement