Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poland V Ireland 19:45 [RTE2] 11/10/2015

• 11-10-2015 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

So here we are after stunning victory on Thursday night against the Germans.

Poland v Republic of Ireland (Kick-off 7.45pm). Match takes place at Stadion Narodowy in Warsaw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

COYBIG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

hope he doesn't drop wes for Glenn Whelan who is available for selection, back from suspension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

6-6 draw with Ireland clearing a Lobitintotheboxski (or what ever his name is) shot off the line deep in inju time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

syngindub wrote: »
    hope he doesn't drop wes for Glenn Whelan who is available for selection, back from suspension

More likely to be Hendrick dropped.

OR
    Ward dropped and Brady going LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Speaking realistically, I fancy a 1-1 draw. The classic Ireland away result. A few pulsating minutes near the end where Ireland even bring the goalie up for a corner, but ends up being huffing and puffing. Would love to be proved wrong on this, in a way that benefits Ireland, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

They have to keep it tight for the first 30 minutes and let Poland drop deeper and deeper and hold on for the draw.

niallo27 wrote: »
    They have to keep it tight for the first 30 minutes and let Poland drop deeper and deeper and hold on for the draw.

The longer the game goes 0-0, the more nervous I'll get. The Poles have a proper difference-maker in Lewandowski. Don't really need him scoring a goal in the 80th minute as it would then probably be too late for Ireland to put together a reply. Would rather see Ireland probe the Polish defence for the first 10 - 20 minutes and see if there is anything in it for them then. It would be silly to waste the psychological momentum the team has to have coming off the Germany win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There's nothing to lose in this game, right? A loss still sees us get the qualifier, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Attack attack attack. Poland will be nervous and will be stuck between going for a draw or attacking

Lord TSC wrote: »
    There's nothing to lose in this game, right? A loss still sees us get the qualifier, yeah?

Yeah, but I have to say I don't really fancy Ireland in a playoff. I think doing the business tonight would convince us, and more importantly the team themselves, that the team has turned a corner and we could look forward to a Euros performance that's not quite so wooden spoony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Ireland need to go for it 100% tonight. A playoff is great to have but traditionally we struggle in them. Get the job done tonight and send Poland to the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Glenn Whelan to start and with his first tackle he takes out Lewandowski, Roy Keane on Overmars style.

story-25177-25177-xlarge.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Think ireland should go gung ho for the two goals and see if we can keep Poland to two goals or less. We haven't conceded three goals or more in a competitive game since the German games from the previous campaign two years ago. If ireland score twice, I'm confident we'll progress tonight. Whether we can score twice or not is another matter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

We are in a great position to be playing the Poles away from home. We have absolutely nothing to lose and need to go for goals so I hope we are set up to play that way. Judging by O'Neills comments however I have a feeling Hoolahan will be on the bench tonight, he doesn't seem to think he's up for two full games in such a short space of time. Would really love to see him start but have a feeling he is going to start Whelan instead of Wes. If he isn't going to start him I would like to see Brady tried out in the advanced midfield role but I can't see that happening tonight.

I'm predicting a line up like as this:

Randolph
    Coleman O'Shea Wilson Brady
    Walters Hendrick Whelan McCarthy McClean
    Long

Despite the fact that I rate Whelan I think it makes our midfield much more defensive and overall our team looks more set up for a draw rather than going for the win which is needed tonight. O'Neill did say he is going to make a few changes so it will be interesting to see what team he selects.

Feeling excited going into this game which is a first in a long time for an Ireland match, going to go 2-1 to Ireland and for there to be mass celebrations across the country tonight.

It would be mental for Ireland to follow up their first big win at home in 14 years with their first big win away in 28. You'd be saying, 'When it rains, it pours.'. And France doesn't count...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

We'll win 2-1
    Craic will be had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

2-2 I think we'll score but Poland will definitely score at home. Can see us having 2 shots on target and Poland wasting some great chances.

Think back to October-November last year. People were optimistic of a victory over Scotland away because of the 1-1 result away to Germany. Turned out those hopes were in vain. Hopefully tonight will be different. Of course, there wasn't a month in between these games as there was for those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

We have absolutely nothing to lose tonight so I hope to see us giving it a proper go.

I have to say, there was an air of pessimism when this group was first drawn. The consensus was that it was going to be quite tough and Ireland would be doing well to stay in contention. Well, they've done that, and not only that but are looking at a straight shoot-out for second place. Overall, I think almost everyone would have taken that at the outset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

I expect more of the same like against Germany. A pragmatic performance hoping to nick a goal on the counter. Not sure O'Neill does "all out" but I'd be happily surprised if they did. But I doubt it. COYBIG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Go out and score two goals. This is Ireland we're talking about?
    Not going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

3-0 IreIand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

Notting to lose tonight hopefully they just go for it and get the win hopefully today will be an epic day for irish sport and we get two big wins COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Only hope is to keep it tight and at 0-0 for as long as possible. Faith will do the rest, have to have faith in what's in store. We can score, but we can't score 2 or 3 , need to keep it tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Unearthly wrote: »
    Attack attack attack. Poland will be nervous and will be stuck between going for a draw or attacking

I don't know if Poland will be nervous, but certainly we have a little more clarity about what we need to do. That's the only advantage we have though. Might as well take it for all its worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Milik missing for Poland is great news for Ireland, even if they do still have Lewandowski. The pressure is all on Poland, they have it all to lose. The worst that can happen to us is we finish in the play off spot which is something i certainly would have been delighted with a couple of matches ago.

We can just go out and give it a lash and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hopefully we'll go at them from the off. Absolutely nothing to lose and a hell of a lot to gain.

COYBIG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Come On Ireland!:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Problem is if Ireland go at Poland, there's a chance of leaving themselves exposed at the back, getting caught on the break and all that. I would like to see Ireland go for it as much as anyone, but this is a concern. In the end, if they don't get the desired result, nothing they will have done will be the right decision. The fact is, in the Germany game, what worked was battening down the hatches for 45 minutes and then slowly coming into the game, but with the goal still coming from a long ball, so I have to think this will inform O'Neill's tactics. Well that, and it's basically what we've seen all campaign. Scotland tried to play ball, and played some nice stuff, but they were naive defensively and paid the price in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

briany wrote: »
    Problem is if Ireland go at Poland, there's a chance of leaving themselves exposed at the back, getting caught on the break and all that. I would like to see Ireland go for it as much as anyone, but this is a concern. In the end, if they don't get the desired result, nothing they will have done will be the right decision. The fact is, in the Germany game, what worked was battening down the hatches for 45 minutes and then slowly coming into the game, but with the goal still coming from a long ball, so I have to think this will inform O'Neill's tactics. Well that, and it's basically what we've seen all campaign. Scotland tried to play ball, and played some nice stuff, but they were naive defensively and paid the price in the end.

Doesn't really matter if we leave ourselves exposed at the back, if we lose, we're still in the same position.

The germany game was different because a draw would've been a good result too (pre game anyway) so not conceding was also a priority. It's much less of a priority tonight. The priority tonight is scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lemon Dot Ski is the danger. We will need more of the same luck we got with Germany, they missed good chances, need Poland to miss a few too .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We need to be sensible, not stupid.

Yes we need to go for it a little, but I be happy to keep things tight for first 30 minutes or so.

I fancy 1-1 or narrow Poland win, but you never know

Doesn't really matter if we leave ourselves exposed at the back, if we lose, we're still in the same position.

The germany game was different because a draw would've been a good result too (pre game anyway) so not conceding was also a priority. It's much less of a priority tonight. The priority tonight is scoring

Ireland do lose the opportunity for second by being reckless and giving away a goal. It's more likely, knowing O'Neill, that pragmatism will be the order of the day. If Poland score first, however, I expect the team to press.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd love to see Ireland go for but the problem is that if O'Neill has been preparing the players to batten down the hatches and hopefully nick a goal, then it's probably best not to change. We've all being watching Ireland long enough to know that it's unpredictable.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

6-7 nil to Poland

Same predication for the Germany game from me so hopefully same result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We need to be sensible, not stupid.

Yes we need to go for it a little, but I be happy to keep things tight for first 30 minutes or so.

I fancy 1-1 or narrow Poland win, but you never know

Yep, if it's still nil nil on the hour mark, the Poles will get more nervous and hopefully the tension from the stands seeps down onto the Polish players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Betting a bit skewed anyone think? Ireland 3/1 with Ladbrokes and given the momentum Ireland have coming into the Game, surely they've a better chance than 3s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I think it will be 2-2. Simply because it's the first instance of a score draw that will get Ireland through. Just seems fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Good Luck tonight! And in the rugby, too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Would love to see the same team start that started the other night, if all the players are fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

adox wrote: »
    Would love to see the same team start that started the other night, if all the players are fit.

Can't be,Stephen ward was left at home because MON said he want sharp enough for 2 games in 4 days,so the team is definitely different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

adox wrote: »

Can't start Murphy again, offered very little. Long has to start

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Betting a bit skewed anyone think? Ireland 3/1 with Ladbrokes and given the momentum Ireland have coming into the Game, surely they've a better chance than 3s.

I think 3s is pretty fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I can see us getting thumped if they surrender as much ball as against Germany.

Hoolahan dropped. Disappointing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Amirani wrote: »
    Hoolahan dropped. Disappointing.

Jaysus.

It's not so much the exclusion of Wes from the starting lineup as it being telling of how the team will play tonight. Can't say it's much of a surprise. But we'll see how it goes. Results tend to reframe every decision, in hindsight.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Possible Wes wasn't fully fit? He was a doubt before Germany. Disappointing he's not on the pitch either way.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Jaysus.

It may be O'Neill thinking he can't play 90mins twice in a row, but I would've thought he could do the first half anyway.

Brady at LB, McClean at LM, Long up front and Coleman back in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement