Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poland V Ireland 19:45 [RTE2] 11/10/2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

SlickRic wrote: »
    Focusing on Lewandowski's play acting is silly.

He did what all professional footballers do. Our guys got too close to him, stuck legs and arms in stupid places and he took advantage.

We were incredibly naive. Embarrassingly so.

The team selection was poor. A couple of individuals were particularly poor. We had no guile. We ran down blind alleys. There was nothing resembling a coherent game plan.

We lost because we were shíte. Absolutely clueless and shíte.

Pretty much bang on the money. Cowardly football from us that deserved sfa

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Our CB options for the playoffs:

McShane
    Wilson
    Keogh
    Pearce

:eek:

Convert Christie to CB?

Ciaran Clark?

This is who I'd play in the play-offs (providing all are fit)

Randolph
    Christie--Clark--Keogh--Coleman
    Hendrick--McCarthy
    McGeady--Wes--Brady
    Long (Keane otherwise)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Swedes aren't great, apart from yer man. They wouldn't be a bad draw. I go to nearly all their home games so have seen a fair bit of them.
    A bit like Poland then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

They're right about the long ball though. We're endlessly getting managers in who think this defensive game is all we can ever play but if that was Iceland, Northern Ireland, Albania even...in that same position, with nothing to lose at all and everything to gain from a win...they'd go all out and make a go of it. We didn't, which is why they're qualified and we're not.

I'll never understand O'Neill's philosophy tonight.

Shane longs goal the other night came from a long ball did it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

McClean has absolutely no pace what so ever
    He is so one dimensional
    He will try his heart out but not good enough to play midfield
    I think he should be converted to a left back

I meant more an injection of energy. He does have some pace and he can be what's needed in certain games with 10 minute to go in a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

If we had Jack Grealish we would have won the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Swedes aren't great, apart from yer man. They wouldn't be a bad draw. I go to nearly all their home games so have seen a fair bit of them.

I agree but he bossed the show a few years back in Dublin and I wouldn't put it past him doing so again. I've had my fill of watching world class forwards play us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

As it stands Ukraine Denmark Bosnia and Croatia are potential opponents in playoffs
    Jesus that doesn't look good, especially with Walters, O'Shea and possibly Long out!

The lads on RTE harping on about a terrific performance against Germany - but in hindsight was it really? What chances did we create besides the goal? And how many chances had Germany?

Hoolahan is by far our best player and we need to stop the long players and at least try play football.

All in all, we'll happily take a play off. We've an average team with some great footballers and will hopefully we've enough to go through!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

blueser wrote: »
    A bit like Poland then?

No, Poland are clearly better than Sweden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

And Wayne Rooney

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

nullzero wrote: »
    Goals happen, playing agricultural long ball nonsense doesn't get you back into games.

If Inter (my club team) conceded goals like that I'd want the defender/s responsible f****d into the stand never to wear nerazzurro again and be sold at the next opportunity. As woeful as Ranocchia is even he doesn't do things like that.

We get to the euros playing that type of football and we will see a repeat of last time out. Utter drivel stone age long ball tripe get's you nowhere in the modern game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Brady, McClean, Coleman and McGeady on the pitch yet no overlaps and hardly one decent cross all night. So what was the point of playing wide men?

McGeady didn't look fully fit. It might have been a better substitution to bring on Christie and play Coleman on the right.

Brady had a shocking night with bad deliveries and misplaced passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"I told the lads to try and not concede corner kicks and free kicks and we might have a chance to get to France"

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Martin.

Funny people giving out about long balls.

Totally forgetting its how we got the win against Germany the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We get to the euros playing that type of football and we will see a repeat of last time out. Utter drivel stone age long ball tripe get's you nowhere in the modern game.

That's MON's form all over.

Lol.

Except Ibrahimovic would make the same mess of the Irish defence that Lewandowski did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Take Lewandowski out of that team, and they're no great shakes. Same with Ibrahimovich and Sweden. The thing is, both those players are game changers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Jesus O'Neill is deluded in that interview very defensive about Hoolahan and praising Whelan & McClean!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That_Guy wrote: »
    "I told the lads to try and not concede corner kicks and free kicks and we might have a chance to get to France"

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Martin.

Moaning about Poland players not getting yellow cards too. Pretty pathetic.

O'Neill wouldn't have played him instead of Glen "pass it sideways or backwards" Whelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ah come on,we offered nothing going forward, Poland were nervous and we didn't test them enough, that's O'Neill's fault.

The problem I see with MON is that he has a certain way with playing away games. The problem is if we are playing in tournaments all are away games so he has to start playing an attacking (counter attacking) game.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Ciaran Clark?

This is who I'd play in the play-offs (providing all are fit)

Randolph
    Christie--Clark--Keogh--Coleman
    Hendrick--McCarthy
    McGeady--Wes--Brady
    Long (Keane otherwise)

Keane is clearly finished at international level.
    I'd go with the rest of your team though.

Hendrix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

JustTheOne wrote: »

I can accept tactics like that against the bigger nations. We were like Hadrians Wall on Thursday night.

But why continue to play that way against teams who are not as good as us. I can't really recall an Ireland team really imposing ourselves on a game and dominating.

Thursday was one of the greatest nights in Irish football for years but how do you go from a solid performance to serving up dross like that tonight? It boggles the mind.

We should have been set up to go at Poland. Instead we employed awful tactics yet again against a team who didn't necessarily perform any better than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done Poland.

Can't argue. Playoffs it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Jesus that doesn't look good, especially with Walters, O'Shea and possibly Long out!

The lads on RTE harping on about a terrific performance against Germany - but in hindsight was it really? What chances did we create besides the goal? And how many chances had Germany?

Hoolahan is by far our best player and we need to stop the long players and at least try play football.

All in all, we'll happily take a play off. We've an average team with some great footballers and will hopefully we've enough to go through!

Were you paying attention is that is exactly what Giles said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Brady doesn't even bother hide how biased he is towards Trap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Disagree, he was giving an example of how a coach will instil discipline in a team which O'Neill does not seem to do.

• Advertisement

That was a freak miracle win. Germany should have scored 4. When is the last time a long ball team won a league or cup in any country or international tournament?

Why would Martin lie that Wes said he can't play?
    Surely Wes would come out and deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Shane longs goal the other night came from a long ball did it not?

It was. I don't dispute it. It's a lazy argument though - if you hoof the ball 100 times a game, every game, over a full season then you're bound to get a long ball goal. That doesn't meant that you keep going, regardless of opposition or position.

Long ball was fine against Germany. They are world champions. Long ball was not suitable tonight as we had nothing to lose anyways and Poland are not at the level of Germany. That was an opportunity to play some football and we didn't. Simple as that.

One things for sure though, Poland will get their a**e handed to them at the tournament itself. Wales or the north of Ireland would have hammered them out of the gate. And that's not even getting onto what the likes of Italy, Spain and France would do to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Why would Martin lie that Wes said he can't play?
    Surely Wes would come out and deny it.

And effectively be announcing his international retirement?

Amirani wrote: »
    And effectively be announcing his international retirement?

No way he would just make up a story that Wes said it to him.

He's not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Long balls against the world champions is perfectly fine, we are never going to beat them with ball on the ground they are light years ahead technically

Poland were there for the taking, their defence looked very poor

MON is a dinosaur just like his predecessor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

You heard one comment about discipline.

Did you hear him say earlier say nothing has changed from the Trap era in terms of the hoof ball style of play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Amirani wrote: »
    While you're probably right on the midfielders, it's a difficult argument to start Gibson and McGeady when they've barely played all season.

That said, the other 3 should start. Hendrick or Quinn are fine as part of a midfield 3 with McCarthy/Whelan and Hoolahan, but McCarthy/Whelan/Hendrick is just too negative.

Coleman is our best RB, not problem with them starting. Brady shouldn't be LB.

We actually have the capability of 'playing ball' imo. It is hard to start players who aren't getting club football (although he does pick Given for some reason) but we don't have that bad a team overall. I think Hendrick and even Meyler are solid players too.

We have the third best squad in the group and we ended up third so we have to be somewhat content with our final position. Maybe with better management we could have gotten second. Would Joe Schmidt double job for us?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Dunphy is an embarrassment.

• Advertisement

It was. I don't dispute it. It's a lazy argument though - if you hoof the ball 100 times a game, every game, over a full season then you're bound to get a long ball goal. That doesn't meant that you keep going, regardless of opposition or position.

Long ball was fine against Germany. They are world champions. Long ball was not suitable tonight as we had nothing to lose anyways and Poland are not at the level of Germany. That was an opportunity to play some football and we didn't. Simple as that.

Long ball was fine against Germany because they had a high defensive line and it was easier to get a ball over the top ala the goal.

Long ball didn't suit here because Poland were set up as negatively as we were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

playing brady at left back is just never going to be good enough, why not play an actual defender. surley even christie at left back would be better then playin a midfielder ther

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Who can we meet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MON is a dinosaur just like his predecessor

Cretaceous rather than Jurassic though tbf

sky88 wrote: »
    playing brady at left back is just never going to be good enough, why not play an actual defender. surley even christie at left back would be better then playin a midfielder ther

Wilson could have played there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Some very tough teams in the play offs.

I wouldn't be confident of beating any of them over two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Well that was a bit of a downer. Barring another Estonia it's hard to see us beating any decent side over two legs.

I'm hearing people saying play Christie at left back.

I wouldn't be along that thinking. I think Coleman would be a better option on the left because he's more experience and has more of an ability to run at players than Christie has, so can cut inside if needs be.

I know, taking our best right back out of position sounds silly but we have more depth at right back than we do at the left, and it's experience that would count if you're going to play a full back out of position imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Faugheen wrote: »
    I'm hearing people saying play Christie at left back.

I wouldn't be along that thinking. I think Coleman would be a better option on the left because he's more experience and has more of an ability to run at players than Christie has, so can cut inside if needs be.

I know, taking our best right back out of position sounds silly but we have more depth at right back than we do at the left, and it's experience that would count if you're going to play a full back out of position imo.

Wilson can play there, and Ward did well there against Germany. I don't understand why some want to put a right-back in there.

• Advertisement

When you see the type of football we played tonight it's hard to see Ireland beat anyone over two legs

Advertisement