Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving certificate 2016

• 11-10-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey I'll be sitting leaving cert 2016 and I'm thinking of doing a nursing course does any one know any nursing courses that are roughly around 390 points? :)

It feels like pressure is on me atm. I want to get around 390-400 points to do a nursing course. I'm doing two ordinary subjects and is it possible to get 400 points? What do I need to do and what grades do I need to get to acquire that 400 points?

Subject's I am studying are:
    Irish(O)
    Maths(O)
    English(H)
    French(H)
    Economics (H)
    Biology (H)
    History (H)
    Link modules (LCVP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

You can find all courses and their points on http://www.qualifax.ie .

Also, look into other routes such as PLC courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Johno2474

Thanks but is it hard to get 400 with two ordinary subjects?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Johno2474 wrote: »
    Thanks but is it hard to get 400 with two ordinary subjects?

You will only be able to count six of your subjects, so the maximum points you can get with your combination is 600 points.

To get 400, you will need an average of C1 in each of your HL subjects, or in 5 of them plus a Distinction in your LCVP. Of course if you have one or two subjects you know you will do better than a C1 in, then you can adjust the marks you need in other subjects.

Your OL subjects, can only count for 60 points each, even if you get an A1 in them.

See this page for a points table for each grade.

How hard it is to get those grades will vary from person to person, so only you know really whether it is possible for you.

The other option for nursing is the PLC route, though there are only a few places on courses in Ireland for PLC students. A PLC (FETAC) qualification can allow you access to some UK nursing training courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

Is 570 not the most this person could get? As 5 HL subjects @ 100 points = 500 points.
    And then he has two OL @ 60 points each.
    But distinction in LCVP @ 70 points.

So 570 is the highest if they get all As? :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sorry, yes, I mis-counted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Johno2474

Thanks but is there any nursing courses that are level 8 which are around 390-400??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

http://bit.ly/1ZEd4Kl

Search for nursing (or your desired course here) and a list will come with points / level / location, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭loveemmaxxxx

Hey I want to do nursing also in wit Waterford id nursing is 475 general nursing is 410 and mental health is like 380 I'm sure the first 2 are right anyway! Good luck in the leaving cert I'm doing it also this year :)

Advertisement