Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to write letter to request day leave

Options
  • 11-10-2015 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I have to go to a wedding fri week so I need to write a letter to the BOM requesting day off.Teaching 13 years and have never requested personal day before but I am expected to go to this wedding.Just wondering who do I address letter to - presume it's the secretary of BOM who is the principal? It's a pain the way we have to go around to teachers asking for classes to be covered - thought with personal leave day S &S cover could be used

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Would you not keep it simple?

If you have cover organised through arrangement with other teachers.

Do you think there is any possibility of it being refused?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭magicgal

Would you not keep it simple?

If you have cover organised through arrangement with other teachers.

Do you think there is any possibility of it being refused?

Hope it won't be refused.Going to type letter later and hand it to the principal tomorrow morning. It's a new school for me so all I know is that I have to go to teachers asking for cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

magicgal wrote: »
    It's a new school for me so all I know is that I have to go to teachers asking for cover

Ah, okay, that makes it somewhat more difficult. Usually a teacher of 13 years is in the same school for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Hope it won't be refused.Going to type letter later and hand it to the principal tomorrow morning. It's a new school for me so all I know is that I have to go to teachers asking for cover

I wouldn't worry about being in a new school, if it was my school we usually stick up a list of the classes you need covered with a request for people to cover them, it usually gets filled in fairly quickly....we may all need a personal day at some stage. Hopefully it's something similar in your new school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

solerina wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about being in a new school, if it was my school we usually stick up a list of the classes you need covered with a request for people to cover them, it usually gets filled in fairly quickly....we may all need a personal day at some stage. Hopefully it's something similar in your new school

Before I'd ask or write a letter I'd go around and see if I can get the cover sorted first. At least you can present your case that all your ducks are in a row and work has been left for students (good time to give an exam!). Also if possible try and get a subject teacher for the exam classes.

Then ask around the staff room what's the procedure. For us it's a case of giving as much notice as possible and getting the principal to sign off, I'd never heard of writing a letter to the BOM though, I thought that the Secretary to the BOM was usually the principal anyway!! also the BOM might only meet every 6-8 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Before I'd ask or write a letter I'd go around and see if I can get the cover sorted first. At least you can present your case that all your ducks are in a row and work has been left for students (good time to give an exam!). Also if possible try and get a subject teacher for the exam classes.

Then ask around the staff room what's the procedure. For us it's a case of giving as much notice as possible and getting the principal to sign off, I'd never heard of writing a letter to the BOM though, I thought that the Secretary to the BOM was usually the principal anyway!! also the BOM might only meet every 6-8 weeks.

Out of courtesy I'd mention it to the principal first and then get your cover.

Anytime ive ever asked the response has always been to ask if I can get the cover from' colleagues. I dont like saying "I dont know yet!". Hence why I sound people out provisionally.
    Then again Ive never been unlucky enough not to find someone to fill in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Is it normal that anyone who needs a day has to write the letter?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    (good time to give an exam!)

Isn't it the Friday running into the mid-term break?

Isn't it the Friday running into the mid-term break?

Yes it is - wedding is on the Friday

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    Is it normal that anyone who needs a day has to write the letter?

Not for us anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

Yes we have to put the request in writing but its fairly simple. When we go into the Principal to ask for a personal day she usually says its fine, sort your cover and leave work for classes and sticks the letter in the file (I don't even think the letters ever get read out at BOM meetings- its just procedure to hand in a letter).
    As someone else said, stick up a sheet on the noticeboard with a list of the classes you need cover for and your colleagues will, I'm sure, fill it up for you. It depends on your school I know but we're a Vol.secondary where this is all very routine and there are very often requests up so we're all used to covering for each others personal days and everyone will need one at some stage. If like two days before it there are still some unfilled classes you need to start going to people who you know are free but thats uncomfortable- hopefully you won't need to do that.

Letter just needs to be something like this:

Dear........,
    I am writing to the Board to apply for permission to take a day's leave/personal day on.........as I have to attend a family wedding.
    I will organise cover and assign work for all of my classes.
    I hope you will consider my request favourably.
    Yours.....etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

We don't write a letter, we ask verbally and arrange own cover. Writing a letter invokes ETB to give an unpaid day.

Yes it is - wedding is on the Friday

Which means it's maybe not such a good time to give an exam. :cool:

But maybe not such a bad day to get the all-clear to head off. :pac:

Thanks for all the replies - my Prin allowed me to take day off.Just have the harder job tomorrow to ask staff to cover my classes

Thanks for all the replies - my Prin allowed me to take day off.Just have the harder job tomorrow to ask staff to cover my classes

If you can see their timetables on VsWare it'll cut out half the time of who to ask! If you're really really stuck and it's a small class size sometimes teachers might allow you to throw them in with theirs (if they have a small class too!).

Advertisement