Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor from hell

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

If I was annoying neighbours and one of them went to my parents and I heard it back I would be absolutely mortified beyond belief.

What age is this guy op?
    What are his circumstances and what sort of background do you suspect he's from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

This person has issues, maybe he has a mental problem,
    or is on methadone.Or using some other drugs.
    The council is at fault for renting him an apartment .
    He might be ok, if he was living in a ground floor flat, with his own front door.Where he could not interfere with other people .
    But its possible theres no suitable flats avaidable in the area
    and they do not wish to rent out a small house for 1 person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Purplerose

Ya I get that and of course it is totally unfair to the landlord and other tenants to put up with this guys behaviour .i just think the attitude of throw him out the street is not right! He needs to be somewhere that matches his needs and that place is not it so I think going to the council or welfare to get them to put him in more suitable accommodation is best. I know it's not the op or the tenants or anyone here's responsibility to get this guy help. But mayb gettin the council to see that he needs help is better than just sayin you want him out. And the whole 'the pc' crowd can house him is just ignorant! Just looking for a better solution than turf him out on the streets!

It's pretty silly that the council won't rent it out for you cos they fear they won't be ab,e to fill it cos of his behaviour, is the solution not obvious that they need to move him on then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Purplerose wrote: »
    Ya I get that and of course it is totally unfair to the landlord and other tenants to put up with this guys behaviour .i just think the attitude of throw him out the street is not right! He needs to be somewhere that matches his needs and that place is not it so I think going to the council or welfare to get them to put him in more suitable accommodation is best. I know it's not the op or the tenants or anyone here's responsibility to get this guy help. But mayb gettin the council to see that he needs help is better than just sayin you want him out. And the whole 'the pc' crowd can house him is just ignorant! Just looking for a better solution than turf him out on the streets!

Your solution is have a chat and sure maybe the council will do somthing . I can assume you have never dealth with the council, all the while this muppet costs everyone else to suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It really is a sad state of affairs with a person like that can't just be thrown out on the side of the street as its all they deserve.

Until Mr X dies, this is a zero-sum game: if he's not able to get private sector rental, then he will have to be re-housed elsehwere. It's not acceptable to the Irish population to leave mentally ill people who want to be housed to live under hedges any more.

Maybe the council could wash their hands of him if their was any justice and let him fend for himself. Tax payers funding this scumbags life, living alone in a nice apartment or get him a house while the working population are struggling to pay rent and mortgages. Its sickens me to the bone and I agree with the other poster, this person needs a taste of his own medicine.

Mr X's behaviour is extremely difficult, I agree.

But healthy people just do not behave that way. He most likely has serious mental health difficulties, and it sickens me to the bone that you think it's acceptable to just chuck vulnerable people like that out onto the street.

If the council are responsible then they are liable for antisocial behaviour which they seem to except. Pop them a solicitors letter for compensation

OP, this post is starting to go towards an approach that might help.

Mr X's current housing is clearly unsuitable for his needs.

The council, together with the HSE, obviously need some encouragement to get busy finding him accommodation and support that is suitable for his needs. Getting them to do this will will probably need some kind of financial motivation, unless you can find a political lever that works.

Another option is to go down the publicity route - but this can be fraught, as public sympathy for landlords vs vulnerable people can be limited. Remember: you are seeing Mr X's behaviour, not the reasons for it. His story can almost certainly be spun in a very different light, which is more likely to sell more newspapers than your brothers.

Yes, it sucks that public funding has to be used in this way. And yes, his behaviour does not justify him getting stand-alone housing.

But it also sucks that we have suck a large population of individuals who were so badly damaged by State institutions that they act in this sort of way. It sucks that we have so many people with fetal alcohol damage because of poor medical advice over the years. Etc. Ranting about how bad this all is will not help the OP's brother fix his problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If he goes that route OP is just as bad IMO... it's nice to keep high morals.

I don't the situation either, but that's not the answer.

The thing is taking the moral high ground achieves nothing when dealing with basically a scumbag who has no regard for anything or anyone.
    His behaviour is very strange. This person sounds like they have ongoing mental issues that need to be addressed, so throwing them out on the streets will help no one,many people on the streets have ongoing mental illness and I imagine this would only distance this person from any help available to him. If the council are aware of his behaviour I wonder is there any social services they can provide, sounds like he is a danger to himself and society and needs help

Ahh the poor pet.
    FFS what about the mental health of his victims who have to live beside him.
    I am tired of this shyteology of always seeing the perpetrators of crime and anti social behaviour as some form of victims.

The real victims are the poor people suffering because they are living next door to him.
    Ya I get that and of course it is totally unfair to the landlord and other tenants to put up with this guys behaviour .i just think the attitude of throw him out the street is not right! He needs to be somewhere that matches his needs and that place is not it so I think going to the council or welfare to get them to put him in more suitable accommodation is best.

By the sounds of it a cowbarn or stables would probably best match his need to urinate anywhere.
    I know it's not the op or the tenants or anyone here's responsibility to get this guy help. But mayb gettin the council to see that he needs help is better than just sayin you want him out. And the whole 'the pc' crowd can house him is just ignorant! Just looking for a better solution than turf him out on the streets!

I seriously wonder if some people have any life experience or a grasp on reality.
    I think we are doomed as a society if certain mindsets are allowed prevail.

OP pester councillors not just the counil, pester the guards and see if he can be arrested for threatening behaviour and/or drugs.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Thanks for all the advise so far.

To clarify, the council rent the apartment Mr X is in long term, so the landlord has no say who gets placed there.

Our apartment was rented under the RAS scheme, so we had some input in the selection process

The Council know he's an issue, but they don't want to deal with it, as in their view, they have found an apartment for him, and it's a swift 2 middle fingers to the rest of the apartment owners.

We looked into an EGM. There are 3 buildings, with 4 apartments in each.
    None of the other 3 buildings are being affected by Mr X living here.

There is an elderly woman on the top floor, who is scared to death of him. But she's currently in the process of being moved.
    The apartment she is in is also long term rented by the council.
    There is a couple in another apartment, who are keeping to themselves, and are planning to move out.

Then there is our apartment and the one Mr X is in.

Based on all of this, calling an EGM will have very little benefit as any vote to take action will be rejected since it's going to
    A. cost money
    B. Take a long time to sort out
    C. Probably end up going through the courts to get him evicted.

Gardai have been aware of every incident since he moved in, yet they can't do anything, as every time he's arrested, he's shortly released.

Yes, your right, he probably suffers from mental illnesses, and this might explain his behaviour and why he gets released.

We are now at a fork in the road.

Continue looking for mediation between the Council, management company, owner of the apartment and the Gardai.

Or drive the f**ker nuts so he moves out. (Using legal methods only).. We will not resort to doing what he does, or cause physical harm. (although, it's tempting...)

At this point, damage is already done. We just want him out.

Option 2 seems very reasonable at this stage, as it will probably be the faster of the choices we can see being available.

"I seriously wonder if some people have any life experience or a grasp on reality.
    I think we are doomed as a society if certain mindsets are allowed prevail."

I would also worry for our society's future if your aggressive and uncompassionate approach to society's difficulties was the main model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I assume most residents/owners are respectable and of good standing in the community? And this guy is batshÃ႒¬t crazy?
    Maybe a couple of ye could report to the council & gaurds that he has become very violent and has held one or two of ye up with knifes, and made death threats? They'll surely take yer word over his and take some action. Threaten to phone Joe Duffy or the local radio equivalents in your area.

Could your contact in the council find out if he has family in the area. Perhaps he could get a name and address and you could inform his parents & siblings what their wonderful angel is up to, it might bring some shame on him.

report to the gardai that he's held them up with knives? You know making false statements like that is against the law, right?

• Advertisement

I'm thinking a timer plug, with a stereo with a nice subwoofer connected to it across the kitchen floor playing something loud from 7am - 11pm (social hours) 7 days a week.

Since he sleeps from 4am - 2pm, this will get a nice reaction.

We will add extra locks and protection to windows and the front door, to prevent entry, but also setup a camera inside in case anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

"I seriously wonder if some people have any life experience or a grasp on reality.

I would also worry for our society's future if your aggressive and uncompassionate approach to society's difficulties was the main model

It's not "societies difficulties". It's an individual who's criminal behaviour has driven people from their homes and cost people a fortune. While I agree no one should go down the road of a violent solution, it's clear the legal path is favouring the aggressor in this situation.

Would you be so forgiving if it was you or a someone in your family was assaulted by this person and driven from their home? The OP is asking for help on resolving his situation, not help for the perpetrator. Why don't you invite him into your home?

To the OP: What about making this a bit more of a public issue? Have you tried talking to your local TD about it or even raising this with the local media? It's possible the extra attention will pressure the council into a better resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is there any way you can sue for loss of earnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Have you tried talking to your local TD about it or even raising this with the local media? It's possible the extra attention will pressure the council into a better resolution.

In OP's opening post...

"We have been pleading with the Gardai, County Council, local TD's and the management company of the apartment block, but each time we are met with further delays, excuses, in-ability to do anything.!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

In OP's opening post...

"We have been pleading with the Gardai, County Council, local TD's and the management company of the apartment block, but each time we are met with further delays, excuses, in-ability to do anything.!"

Ok so the local TD's yes but would the local media help? I'm not sure if it would but it's the only thing I can think of at this point.
    This guy is an aggressive criminal and does not deserve to be living in an apartment building with law abiding people if he is going to terrorise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

At the very least the common areas need to be fixed by the management company. It's a disgrace to leave urine in carpets/ on doors. Then it's up to the management company to recoup the money. What do you think you are paying them for?

The other buildings should be on board, they never know if someone unsavoury will be moved into their block and they'll need the help of the funds.

Definitly call an egm. The whole unit could get a bad name from this one guy, people might not want to leave near him at all, rents could go down etc.

It's in the interests of all owners to sort this. You could also invite a representative of the council to the agm to hear the complaints?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm thinking a timer plug, with a stereo with a nice subwoofer connected to it across the kitchen floor playing something loud from 7am - 11pm (social hours) 7 days a week.

Since he sleeps from 4am - 2pm, this will get a nice reaction.

We will add extra locks and protection to windows and the front door, to prevent entry, but also setup a camera inside in case anything happens.

Escalating a situation is always the wrong decision. Escalating a situation with somebody who is clearly nuts and has all the time in the world is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Until Mr X dies, this is a zero-sum game: if he's not able to get private sector rental, then he will have to be re-housed elsehwere. It's not acceptable to the Irish population to leave mentally ill people who want to be housed to live under hedges any more.

Mr X's behaviour is extremely difficult, I agree.

But healthy people just do not behave that way. He most likely has serious mental health difficulties, and it sickens me to the bone that you think it's acceptable to just chuck vulnerable people like that out onto the street.

This is just excuses, the same excuses the council are probably feeding the op while people are being harassed in their homes and living in fear. He needs to be dealt with either chucked out on the street or locked up somewhere where he will not get away with any of his antics.

Its hilarious that you use the term vulnerable towards him rather than the elderly woman he is harassing. If that woman were a relation of mine this situation would never have gone on this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

superfish wrote: »
    The world has gone soft sick of reading stuff like this and every one talking about the legal route if it were my house let's just say Mr x would be introduced to the business end of my baseball bat
    Advocating violence is not acceptable. Constructive posts only.

Do not respond to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble

Someone having mental difficulties does not necessarily make them vulnerable. This individual is accommodated at the states expense and clearly is engaging in illegal activities. To assume that because it is not what you would do or what you would expect from other people does not necessarily mean he has a mental illness - he may simply be a bad fu*ker with no respect for anyone who expects the world to pay for and tolerate his crap.

OP I have no idea how you deal with this, except that you need to become more of a nuisance to the council than rehoming the tenant is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Have you consulted a solicitor at all? I agree that the council need to be pushed into finding better, more suitable accommodation for this guy. They won't act without a push because right now they have a problem tenant sorted with a property.
    The management company needs to step up & complete repairs & cleaning as soon as damage occurs. Each bill should be sent to the landlord & the council.
    Send a solicitors letter as you are being financially compromised as a result of being unable to let your property due to the problem tenant. The council have admitted this. Sue the council for loss of earnings.
    You need to get the name of one person responsible for housing in the council & direct everything to them. Deal only with one person & apply financial pressure.

I would hate to live beside this guy. Regardless of his "vulnerability", no-one should have to put up with this & I bet there is not one person on this thread who would want him as a neighbour. The council needs to be pushed into action & I think a solicitor is your only option.

I,M assuming he is under 60 years of age,
    the council will only pay rent on ras , for a young man,
    if he is on disability allowance ,
    maybe he is on medication.
    From his behavior , he sounds as if he is using drugs, or else he has mental
    problems .
    His behavior makes no sense, he will be evicted at some point .its not the behavior of an average low life person.
    The councils cannot afford to rent apartments for every single person
    who is on welfare .
    Under the ras scheme the council selects a tenant and the landlord
    in theory is gauranteed x amount of rent for at least 1 year .
    I have never met anyone who got a council flat under
    60 unless they were on disability allowance ,
    in the last 15 years .
    go to threshold for advice,
    part of their job is to help difficult people get suitable accomodation .
    www.threshold.ie
    Every 3 months there,s a joe duffy show about bad tenants,
    who move in ,wreck the house, and stop paying rent after a few weeks .
    most landlords have at least 1 bad tenant at some point.
    Maybe ring the joe duffy show ? he likes taking about difficult tenants .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

people seem to think that he has mental issues... some people are just plan bad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Why don't you try and go be compassionate to him.
    I would much rather be compassionate towards the poor old lady he is driving from her home. :(
    His behaviour is very strange. This person sounds like they have ongoing mental issues that need to be addressed, so throwing them out on the streets will help no one,many people on the streets have ongoing mental illness and I imagine this would only distance this person from any help available to him. I

Actually as Handlemaster pointed out who says this guy has mental health issues.
    Oh yeah it was you that started this train of thought. :rolleyes:

Maybe he is just a bad person on drugs who doesn't give two craps about society and everyone else.

And as Sillysmiles pointed out having mental health issues doesn't necessarily mean you are a victim or vulnerable.

I have known people and know people who have mental health issues.
    They may be depressed, hyper, act weird or strange, they may have episodes, they may be a danger, but it is usually to themselves.
    They haven't gone p***ing on other people's doors.

And even if this guy does have mental health issues why should his neighbours and other people have to suffer for them.

This does point to an issue with society today, some "do gooders" (for want of another word to describe them) reckons severely disturbed people who are a danger to society should get a chance to live life in normal society.

I can show quiet a few cases where very mentally disturbed and dangerous people were either released from mental hospitals and/or allowed live in normal society with terrible consequences for some poor innocent victims.
    And when there is some poor victim of these guys found battered or stabbed, the "do-gooders" are nowhere to be seen.

Whereas years ago people were wrongly thrown into asylums and never released, we now have had the pendulum swing totally the opposite way often with disastrous consequences.

I am not allowed discuss …

The council will have to get him a flat ,somewhere,
    this person is not able to live in a building with other people .
    Write the council a letter ,
    outlining the whole situation.
    keep a copy of it.
    IF i was his landlord ,i would disconnect the cable tv, or sky tv cable going into his apartment .
    Keep any letters the council or gardai send you.
    keep a note of anything that happens ,if you think you might have to
    bring a case against the council .
    Ask the council do they intend to let him stay there,
    will the landlord have to go to court to evict him.
    He may be doing these things under the influence of drugs ,
    the reason does not matter to the other people ,
    who have to live there .
    You could write a letter to the hse, hand it to a welfare officer in the nearest health centre.
    His welfare officer may not know of his bad behavior .

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Real crooks here appear to be the council. Once again picking up their pay-checks for doing sweet sod all.

You mentioned they are interested in the apartments for themselves to lease so I'd think they'd be quite in favour of a tenant that moves all the other tenants out of a block to the point where they can pick it up for a song.

I think to that end you'd be better bypassing them to the county manager, any ombudsman office you can get a hold of (seems like even the gardaí are being overly lax here, has been known to happen that councillors may have a quiet word with a word or two if it benefits them) and every single public meeting the councillors turn up to that you can, where humanly possible, get to, to the point where you get in there face ( not aggressively or illegally) more than the it takes for them to sit on their arses and continue to push your letters towards the bottom of their in-tray.

May be cynical, but my experience of bureaucrats, of this position, in general will do FA until they are made to by superiors, or profit or because it has become the easiest course to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pbyrneirl

Unfortunately, debating his mental health won't bting about any solutions.
    I think you need to do anything you possible can to gather evidence (video and audio) of the behaviour (easier said than done I guess).
    The more evidence you have of anti-social behaviour, the easier it is to get the guards moving and the council to do something. If you are certain you have enough evidence and the guards don't do anything, then go to the garda ombudsman. Also, if the council don't do anything, you could bring legal action against them as they will have effectively caused you loss of income.
    Also, personally I would be tempted to provoke him...subwoofer style, but make sure you get the reaction recorded (it doesn't matter if you have loud music on, he's still not allowed urinate on the floor or do damage!)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He needs to be somewhere that matches his needs and that place is not it so I think going to the council or welfare to get them to put him in more suitable accommodation is best.
    This is an angle. His past behaviour, the assaults, etc, all point to how he needs... help. Perhaps before you start the stereo, you attack the councils lack of care towards him, lack of care towards people around him, esp those he has attacked. Leaving such an individual prone to violence may not be in his best interests....? Perhaps a gated community would suit him better? Maybe find out where he was before moving to yours, to see if he has a long history of anti-people assaults and behaviour?
    with a stereo with a nice subwoofer connected to it across the kitchen floor playing something loud from 7am - 11pm (social hours) 7 days a week.
    If the above fails, instead of noise all the time, do bouts of noise at random times? An hour here, an hour there... also, make you sure you have a favorite song. And only play that.
    riclad wrote: »
    His behavior makes no sense, he will be evicted at some point .its not the behavior of an average low life person.
    Actually, it makes a lot of sense. By acting the nut, he ensures no one else wants him to move to their area. He is able to do what he wants, when he wants, and thus far no-one has been able to stop him in his current home.

Escalating a situation is always the wrong decision. Escalating a situation with somebody who is clearly nuts and has all the time in the world is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Totally agree. I guess it's just an option that was considered in the heat of the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Get every male you know to accompany your brother to that man's door and then state that you have come to request a peaceful solution...

Advertisement