Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book recommendations

Options
  • 11-10-2015 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

DS is 7 month and I would like to start reading with him.
    Would appreciate some book recommendations for babies of this age.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Anything by Julia Donaldson. They are fantastic books and will last for years. My favourites are Gruffalo, Gruffalo's child, Room on a broom, day monkey night monkey and stick man.

Board books are great to give the baby to play with on their own and turn the pages etc. You can get fisher price sets of 3 suitable from 6 months. Also the textured touchy feely books go down well here. Usborne to great educational books.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kathune

Anything by Julia Donaldson. They are fantastic books and will last for years. My favourites are Gruffalo, Gruffalo's child, Room on a broom, day monkey night monkey and stick man.

Board books are great to give the baby to play with on their own and turn the pages etc. You can get fisher price sets of 3 suitable from 6 months. Also the textured touchy feely books go down well here. Usborne to great educational books.

Thanks a mill. Will get some Julia Donaldson books first. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Simple board picture books with bright colours are good at this age. Ones they can hold themselves and play with. Also ones with different textures, buttons to press, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Have you a nearby library? They really are brilliant for children's books, great variety.

My recommendations are The Boss Baby and Cave baby. Mine loved anything with a baby in it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

All the "that's not my ..." books are great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

I loved reading to my baby at that age. Definitely great to start young. The board books are great with texture or lift the flap. I loved Dear Zoo, Postman Bear, Where's Spot?. I used to put suggestions into Amazon and then see what other books were popular. I also loved the mini Osbourne board books you can buy like baby first words, food, colours etc. My baby used to sit on the floor for hours looking at them. They were great :)

Thanks so much for all the recommendations.
    Mine loves to see baby face too. Need to check if there is any library near by.

I am taking a note about the book names and will head to Eason on Wed.
    Is there anywhere else a good source for buying baby books?

The crew who go around to offices are really good for value packs and special offers. Not sure what they are called. Asda is great value for Julia Donaldson books. Try the book people or book depository. I find Eason's the most expensive.

The crew who go around to offices are really good for value packs and special offers. Not sure what they are called. Asda is great value for Julia Donaldson books. Try the book people or book depository. I find Eason's the most expensive.

And Amazon is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Each peach pear plum is a favourite in our house. I love the books by Chris Haughton. Julia Donaldson books are fab too.

• Advertisement

Thanks again.
    Is ASDA available in Ireland? Only saw their UK website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Julia Donaldson book are amazing! If you are just starting reading now... Maybe start with the touch and feel books like the "that's not my" series. The lift the flap books are great for starting young aswell. Like the spot the dog books and also Julia donaldsons hide and seek pig, postman bear and fox's socks. Peepo by Janet and Allan ahlberg was always and still is a firm favourite here from a very early age. Then as they progress some more of the Julia Donaldson books are great for toddler age aswell. She has a great range that has been published. And the illustrations are fab aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

The very hungry caterpillar by Eric Carle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Julia Donaldson is a huge hit here too.

But for babies I think board books with lift the flap/ pop up type features, or with puppets in them are brilliant. I've a load of them that my son loves that I got in charity shops (gave them a good wipe down).

Some great ones were: Cockadoodle Boo, Funny Frog, Playtime Teddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My 2.5 year old still loves the very hungry caterpillar, been reading it to her since the early days. That and dear zoo, spot and the gruffalo. Big hits in our house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My 2 love Julia Donaldson books. Oh and my local dealz recently started selling Mr Men books and they love them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 086MARIAN

There are quite a few of Julia Donaldsons book in a 3 for £10 on Amazon.co.uk. Spend over £25 and you're eligible for free shipping.

I used this deal to buy tons of books for my LO's and saved a fortune. Also if you don't do online shopping it's worth noting that Waterstones is usually cheaper than Easons and always seem to have a nice collection of titles in a buy one get one half price offer.

I recently bought a personalised book called the boy who lost his name for my son and it is beautiful but it is pricey at €26.99. it's worth a google though and i can pm you a 15% off code for it if you're interested.

086MARIAN wrote: »
    There are quite a few of Julia Donaldsons book in a 3 for £10 on Amazon.co.uk. Spend over £25 and you're eligible for free shipping.

I used this deal to buy tons of books for my LO's and saved a fortune. Also if you don't do online shopping it's worth noting that Waterstones is usually cheaper than Easons and always seem to have a nice collection of titles in a buy one get one half price offer.

I recently bought a personalised book called the boy who lost his name for my son and it is beautiful but it is pricey at €26.99. it's worth a google though and i can pm you a 15% off code for it if you're interested.

The book looks great. I'd like one for DS. He may be too small for it yet, but I like the idea of giving him the personalised book.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

The Fox's Socks by Julia Donaldson is a massive hit in our house ( 18 month old and on average likes to be read 10 books per evening :) ) Also the "Busy at" books where they life flats and make things move etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

www.thebookpeople.co.uk have fantastic book bundles for smallies. i got the julia donaldson pack for €16 and there were over 10 books in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 086MARIAN

kathune wrote: »
    The book looks great. I'd like one for DS. He may be too small for it yet, but I like the idea of giving him the personalised book.

PM me and I'll reply with the 15% code they have me when I purchased. :)

Another big hit in our house is Oliver Jeffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Our little one LOVES pop up books.There are some Sophie the Giraffe ones out there that are good.Anything that has flaps that lift up...Dear Zoo and Oh Dear are both big hits here.Also Toddle Waddle (Julia Donaldson) and Ten Little Finger and Ten Little Toes is another.we had all those from early on, although she's only got into 'Toddle Waddle' lately.And she loves Each Peach Pear Plum too
    We get books in Easons mainly but I've used the Book Depository too...online site that sells books very reasonably.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Tabby McTat by Julie Donaldson is a huge hit in our house.

and a book Santy bought in Aldi about Rattle Rovers and Chuckle United. It was the last game of the season and The Rattle Rovers were playing Chuckle United. The captains lead their teams on to the pitch..............................head explodes :P

Deals have loads of Thomas the Tank Engine books. We have got a load of Julie Donaldson books for Christmas but tbh he is only interested in books with cats or footballs. My two most hated things in the world !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We just buy books at random. Anything with pictures of animals goes down a treat and then any story book really. Numbers and letters are also a current favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Little_cub

I LOVE anything by Oliver Jeffers. His illustrations are beautiful and stories are very sweet. Zog is another firm favourite in our house!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

"A mouse took a stroll through the deep dark wood"

Que excitement and running to get the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

leftshark wrote: »
    www.thebookpeople.co.uk have fantastic book bundles for smallies. i got the julia donaldson pack for €16 and there were over 10 books in it
    Thanks for this, just ordered it, great bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Mothercare often have the "that's not my ..." Books half price. They're a massive hit in this house,

Advertisement