Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Fawning Of Rugby

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I can't tell if this is meant to be an unpopular opinion intended to stir shyte, or if it really is evidence of someone who is simply ill-informed.

Either way, the whole thing is just wrong, on so many levels.

He's just trolling for thanks.

It's his modus operandi. If he doesn't get the reaction he wants he never comes back to comment in his own thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

and Dave Gallaher was Presbyterian and a member of the British crowns military.

And what? Never heard anybody around here disowning him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RayM wrote: »
    I dislike rugby as much as most other Irish people disliked it before the Ireland rugby team became successful. It must be a bit annoying to be an actual rugby fan (i.e. someone who didn't just latch onto it when the Ireland rugby team started winning and the soccer team went a bit crap) and having to pay more to go to matches, for the privilege of being surrounded by people who don't know the rules, but YAY COYBIG!!1

When was the cut-off point? I'd like to know if I made it as a real fan or I'm just a bandwagoner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Always was and is known as a protestant sport in the country.

In fairness, this is true. Listen carefully during today's match and all you'll hear is "Down with rosary beads!" and "Shove your transubstantiation up your arse!"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Take a look at the crowds that attend these rugby matches, middle class west brits who i bet never went to a Gaa match in there life.
    And then the media making out everyone will be glued to it, yeah maybe in D4 land but most of the country dont give a toss nor want to hearabout it everyday.

You do know that:

1.viewing figures for last week's match against Italy are higher than the GAA final and,
    2. The biggest ever crowd to attend a rugby wc game was our match in Wembley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

In fairness, this is true. Listen carefully during today's match and all you'll hear is "Down with rosary beads!" and "Shove your transubstantiation up your arse!"

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

And what? Never heard anybody around here disowning him.

That is because Donegals conflict ended in the 1920s and there is no serious religious/cultural segregation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Stheno wrote: »
    You do know that:

1.viewing figures for last week's match against Italy are higher than the GAA final and,
    2. The biggest ever crowd to attend a rugby game was our match in Twickenham?

Wembley.

Biggest WC attendance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Other way round, dude.

• Advertisement

I was going to watch the North's last game (I'm more a soccer man) but I'm turning on TV 3 now to spite you :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wembley.

Biggest WC attendance

Thanks, forgot twas wembley

endacl wrote: »
    Other way round, dude.
    He's right, the other is consubstantiation.

Oh, you mean not up your bum? :p

eeguy wrote: »
    Elitist?

The Irish team that played against Italy had represented 11 counties of the island of Ireland. Much more representative of the country than football.

And unlike soccer, where you have to travel to England to see top Irish players compete at club level, you can travel to the RDS or Thomond park every week to watch the Irish rugby team play at club level.

No one watches Irish rugby at proper club level, I'm surrounded by Munster fans who became "diehard" rugby followers a decade ago but would be hard pressed to name the club team topping the AIL. A lot of the support seems to lack much depth, the female supporters being particularly clueless because for them it seems to be about cooing over "Bods" marriage or how good looking the Kearney guy is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

When was the cut-off point? I'd like to know if I made it as a real fan or I'm just a bandwagoner

Saipan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Stheno wrote:
    You do know that:

Stheno wrote:
    2. The biggest ever crowd to attend a rugby wc game was our match in Wembley?

West Brit proddies, all 90-odd-thousand of them.

Or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

What I can't understand is that Irish Times ad saying that the RWC is the biggest sporting event of the year. I think the Athletics World Championship might have something to say about that.

If someone falls over in Dundrum Shopping Centre when there's a rugby match on, does anyone hear it?

There is nothing more gas than wearing a Munster jersey in the Dundrum Shopping Centre. Those lads are just...gas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Its only a social occasion in this country.
    I'd have much more respect for Welsh, English and Scottish supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Well I'm going to be watching Ireland play France in about half and hour and then Ireland play Poland later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

blueser wrote: »
    What I can't understand is that Irish Times ad saying that the RWC is the biggest sporting event of the year. I think the Athletics World Championship might have something to say about that.

I'd say the rugby will have higher attendances and viewing figures. For instance I read that 20 million Japanese people watched their game against Samoa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I like to go to pubs when the rugger is on and shout "hands in the ruck", "in from the side", "off his feet ref" at the screen.

Nobody shouts at the TV when athletics is on.

Which France will turn up today I wonder?

I'd say the rugby will have higher attendances and viewing figures. For instance I read that 20 million Japanese people watched their game against Samoa.

25 million apparently!

Stheno wrote: »
    25 million apparently!

East Brits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Must not dignify thread with proper response. . .

. . .I'm off down to the pub to enjoy a day of Irish sport with all my elitist economic migrant friends from all over the country (even Roscommon!)

George Hook admits that football is the game of the people, rugby is really a sport for fee paying schools...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/george-hook-soccer-is-the-game-of-the-people-in-ireland-not-rugby-31599830.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

Not one person i know over the age of 40 in the countryside supports this sport, perhaps because they were brought up with the history of the english landlord class in this country.
    Seems a shame in the cities some people forget there history and turn into west brits.

That's crap, I'm not a major fan of rugby myself but know plenty over 40 years of age that follow it avidly and indeed many played it themselves. Most of them are far from elitist. Your opinion seems to be an uninformed one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

When did this start.
    Years ago you never had such a love in by the media for rugby.
    To me it has been and always will be a elitest sport, does in no way represent the common man in this country.
    The ancestors of many people supporting it today would turn in there graves if they saw there offspring supporting it.

I am very proud to be supporting Ireland today against France. Rugby has been played by myself, my brothers, my cousins, my father and my grandfather and it's something that we will pass down to our children as well. You are no more Irish than my family despite what you seem to believe.

The match kicks off in 20 minutes, go get yourself a beer and have a watch of it and you might be pleasantly surprised or maybe just enjoy all that hatred you have inside of yourself instead?

George Hook admits that football is the game of the people, rugby is really a sport for fee paying schools...

Tell that to Sean O'Brien.

George Hook is the Eamonn Dunphy of rugby punditry. Anyone who knows anything about the game knows to tune out 99.99% of what he spouts.

As for the other .01%, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Not one person i know over the age of 40 in the countryside supports this sport, perhaps because they were brought up with the history of the english landlord class in this country.

Well that's just you because down here in Galway my 85 year old uncle has just told me to put the telly on for the match.

I was going to watch the North's last game (I'm more a soccer man) but I'm turning on TV 3 now to spite you :p

I don't support Northern Ireland, I am Roman Catholic, only Protestants support them and some upper class Catholics and southerners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/george-hook-soccer-is-the-game-of-the-people-in-ireland-not-rugby-31599830.html

George Hook says a lot of things.

No it's not, I grew up in a small town and played in the Midland League at youth level, none of the boys on my town's teams went to fee paying schools. It was never as popular as GAA or soccer but there was always a decent rugby culture in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cricket World Cup back in February would likely destroy both for viewing figures. Not that such inaccuracies matter to a newspaper that is just trying to flog copy.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    As for the other .01%, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Well what he says about soccer being the sport of the people is right, so he's due to get one other thing right today...

What is the story with the flag caper on top of the stands, the france flag, irish tricolour and then the yellow Ulster flag, is the province of Ulster a separate nation or team? Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan are represented twice.

Cricket World Cup back in February would likely destroy both for viewing figures. Not that such inaccuracies matter to a newspaper that is just trying to flog copy.

One billion tuned into the India Pakistan clash.

I suspect that mops the floor with pretty much anything else.

Well what he says about soccer being the sport of the people is right, so he's due to get one other thing right today...

Which people?

What is the story with the flag caper on top of the stands, the france flag, irish tricolour and then the yellow Ulster flag, is the province of Ulster a separate nation or team?
    It represents the Irish players who do not come from the Republic. Northern Ireland does not have an official flag, so the flag of Ulster is used.

I believe some of them are protestants! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

My aul fella is a massive bogger and 70 years old and he played club rugby and loves the sport. This is a confusing thread. Funny that we got to page 6 though, the boredom of a Sunday I spose

• Advertisement

What is the story with the flag caper on top of the stands, the france flag, irish tricolour and then the yellow Ulster flag, is the province of Ulster a separate nation or team? Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan are represented twice.

Lucky them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I come from very modest upbringing - far from elitist. I went to a primary and secondary school where even soccer was banned - it was gaa or nothing. I have always loved watching rugby (never played) from an early age - Olly Campbell in the triple crown 1982 was one of my earliest memories - and I still love watching it.

I believe some of them are protestants!

They all are, according to Jonjo. All the supporters too.

It represents the Irish players who do not come from the Republic. Northern Ireland does not have an official flag, so the flag of Ulster is used.

would a green flag with a shamrock on it not do the job for the island? plus the ulster yellow flag is viewed as a nationalist flag here.

Is that hybrid St George cross that they use not their official flag?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Who cares about the elite-ness, it's not just as great a sport as people think. Certainly not as noble as some think.

But ultimately everyone will be playing the World Cup now for weeks with a draw made years ago, all waiting for New Zealand to win it..like the last one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When did this start.
    Years ago you never had such a love in by the media for rugby.
    To me it has been and always will be a elitest sport, does in no way represent the common man in this country.
    The ancestors of many people supporting it today would turn in there graves if they saw there offspring supporting it.

No National Anthem either OP.

Wonderful rendition of Ireland's Call there by Catholics, protestants and even well known Rastafarian Keith Earls.

no only the union fleg is official, thon thing is just for the n.ireland soccer team, the red hand shouldn't be on a loyalist fleg anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

The lack of media interest in the past was directly due to the c**pness of Irish teams at that time just as the media love in these days is due to the success of same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

So Olé olé olé was being sung by elitests then?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement