Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary NAS

Options
  • 11-10-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭

Hey folks I'm running a Synology DS414 I originally thought it was just going to be for storage but I've since found it handy for running Plex to my local network for watching movies/tv but if I'm outside of the local network (maining when travelling) it's just not powerful enough to convert video (99% HD) thinking about buying a secondary NAS to able to watch stuff streaming from my NAS while abroad. Opinions on a secondary setup that's able to stream at the top end 1080 bluray rips easily enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

If the NAS is able to transcode for local streaming but not for remote streaming it might be because your upload speeds are not up to par.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

degsie wrote: »
    If the NAS is able to transcode for local streaming but not for remote streaming it might be because your upload speeds are not up to par.

I assume it's direct playing it from my NAS and doesn't have to do any transcoding. On UPC so I've got 240 down & 24 up. Setup Plex so as my friends can have access to my content but it's hit & miss as he'll be able to play some things while others don't run at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Have a read of this post - http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057296135/1/#post93326085 - same and as yours with a cheap server PC for transcoding. I have the dame set up and it works perfectly when I am travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

What Anders said. You may already have a suitable PC at home. I just did this recently myself. Problem 1: the lady of the house enjoys The X Factor. I don't! Solution 1: download the episodes to my Synology DS713+ and she can watch them 'upstairs' on the Chromecast. Problem 2: Plex on the NAS can't handle transcoding HD downloads (which is all I can find; no SD which would play OK) to the Chromecast so she's back watching Simon Cowell and pals in the living room. Solution 2: install Plex Media Server on my desktop PC upstairs, using the same NAS as its library (i.e. I have two separate PMS installs - NAS and PC - both using the same library) and connect to that via Chromecast. Result: X Factor free living room!

Have a read of this post - http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057296135/1/#post93326085 - same and as yours with a cheap server PC for transcoding. I have the dame set up and it works perfectly when I am travelling.
    What Anders said. You may already have a suitable PC at home. I just did this recently myself. Problem 1: the lady of the house enjoys The X Factor. I don't! Solution 1: download the episodes to my Synology DS713+ and she can watch them 'upstairs' on the Chromecast. Problem 2: Plex on the NAS can't handle transcoding HD downloads (which is all I can find; no SD which would play OK) to the Chromecast so she's back watching Simon Cowell and pals in the living room. Solution 2: install Plex Media Server on my desktop PC upstairs, using the same NAS as its library (i.e. I have two separate PMS installs - NAS and PC - both using the same library) and connect to that via Chromecast. Result: X Factor free living room!

My desktop is pretty much sitting obsolete since I've moved to a NAS setup for downloading as mostly just use my Mac now. Bought this setup HERE a couple years back would you reckon it would be suitable to do it? Never ran Plex on a desktop simple enough setup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

My desktop is pretty much sitting obsolete since I've moved to a NAS setup for downloading as mostly just use my Mac now. Bought this setup HERE a couple years back would you reckon it would be suitable to do it? Never ran Plex on a desktop simple enough setup?

Not familiar with the processor but I'd imagine it would be fine. Mine has an i7, but only seems to run at about 4% when transcoding 720p. Plex setup was fine. Obviously you would need to keep the PC on for it all to work remotely - there may be a learning curve in setting up your router etc to allow external access, and ideally some method of remote switch on.

Not familiar with the processor but I'd imagine it would be fine. Mine has an i7, but only seems to run at about 4% when transcoding 720p. Plex setup was fine. Obviously you would need to keep the PC on for it all to work remotely - there may be a learning curve in setting up your router etc to allow external access, and ideally some method of remote switch on.

I upgraded the processor to an i5, the only thinking I'm thinking about with my desktop running constantly is the noise from it, not exactly the quietest thing going. Looked briefly into the new Synology DS216 Play HERE

With Plex on my desktop I don't physically have to have stuff stored on it just direct it to the library am I correct in thinking that?

The i3 in your setup (you said you upgraded to an i5 but the link doesnt work??) has a cpu bench of 3100. Plex recommend at least 2000 per 1080 stream you want to encode The cpu I use is a G3258 and the bench is 4000 and it can transcode at least 3 720p stream at the same time.

If I am away from home I can stream a transcoded 1080p movie to my laptop while the kids are watching a transcoded movie at home no problem. I would imagine that your i5 would be able to do similar so that PC would be ideal as a Plex Server. All you need to do is download the PMS software to your PC and point it to where the media is stored on your NAS and it should work. I have the NAS and server PC in the attic and connected to each other/router using homeplugs. They aare on 24/7 and I never have to go near them as I can download/copy direct to the NAS using either a mapped network drive on my laptop or else the NAS apps!

There is a small learning curve to get everything to work properly (if you can buid a pc then this is simple) but once you get it setup it just works.

I had the DS215Play before and it would only barely transcode a 720p stream. Only one at the time and the CPU was at 90% while transcoding. I sold it and bought the DS414 instead and went down the seperate server route. I wouldnt waste the money on the 216Play as it isn't up to heavy duty transcoding.

The i3 in your setup (you said you upgraded to an i5 but the link doesnt work??) has a cpu bench of 3100. Plex recommend at least 2000 per 1080 stream you want to encode The cpu I use is a G3258 and the bench is 4000 and it can transcode at least 3 720p stream at the same time.

If I am away from home I can stream a transcoded 1080p movie to my laptop while the kids are watching a transcoded movie at home no problem. I would imagine that your i5 would be able to do similar so that PC would be ideal as a Plex Server. All you need to do is download the PMS software to your PC and point it to where the media is stored on your NAS and it should work. I have the NAS and server PC in the attic and connected to each other/router using homeplugs. They aare on 24/7 and I never have to go near them as I can download/copy direct to the NAS using either a mapped network drive on my laptop or else the NAS apps!

There is a small learning curve to get everything to work properly (if you can buid a pc then this is simple) but once you get it setup it just works.
    I had the DS215Play before and it would only barely transcode a 720p stream. Only one at the time and the CPU was at 90% while transcoding. I sold it and bought the DS414 instead and went down the seperate server route. I wouldnt waste the money on the 216Play as it isn't up to heavy duty transcoding.

Cheers man appreciate all the info, everything is located in my room and connected straight into my router. Will give this a bash later and see if I can get it all up & running.

• Advertisement

So got Plex setup on my desktop and I've just been running a few tests with my Mac tethered to my phone through 3 with a download of about 6mb, tried to stream from my NAS and got the "server is not powerful enough" but tried from my desktop and it's running pretty smooth so far, had to change the quality but then realised I could change the transcoding in Plex to "make my CPU hurt" so far so good, going to see if my friend can stream from it through Plex as a test tomorrow, lives a couple miles away from me.

1080p webdl tv episode playing just fine tried a 10gb movie and it seemed to be working fine also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 decorativejunk

Hey folks I'm running a Synology DS414 I originally thought it was just going to be for storage but I've since found it handy for running Plex to my local network for watching movies/tv but if I'm outside of the local network (maining when travelling) it's just not powerful enough to convert video (99% HD) thinking about buying a secondary NAS to able to watch stuff streaming from my NAS while abroad. Opinions on a secondary setup that's able to stream at the top end 1080 bluray rips easily enough?

look for running HP Microserver + xpenology(Synology OS for non synology hardware) as 2nd NAS ..you can bump up the ram.
    I have this setup and i have no problem at all.

Advertisement