Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic to the airport friday morn

Options
  • 11-10-2015 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

travelling from terenure to catch a flight 9:30 friday morning. Anyone know how long traffic might be? What time should I book a taxi for and should I be taking port tunnel maybe? any help would be great cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

People would need to know where you are travelling from to have an idea of how long it would take! I would imagine you are going to be hitting a fair bit of traffic at that time I would be allowing a good bit of extra time just in case. Head down early get some breakfast play it safe imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Flight at 930.
    Checking 2 hours before , so 730.
    Take a taxi and get him to cut up onto the M50.
    Youll pay the toll but if you leave at 630(for safety) it's the quickest option.

Don't forget to check in online.

If you want a quick clearance at security, use airport genie for I think 6.95. Security is busy that time of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

M50 won't be too bad. You'll be going northbound (much better than Southbound) on a Friday (always lighter than other days).

Barring accidents etc, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

jimmii wrote: »
    People would need to know where you are travelling from to have an idea of how long it would take! I would imagine you are going to be hitting a fair bit of traffic at that time I would be allowing a good bit of extra time just in case. Head down early get some breakfast play it safe imo.

......and people would know this from reading my post! - bold underlined caps lock italics next time, I promise!;) Yeah might head early for breakfast pints. It's not a long haul so don't need to be there until 8:30 really. Best be safe though

......and people would know this from reading my post! - bold underlined caps lock italics next time, I promise!;) Yeah might head early for breakfast pints. It's not a long haul so don't need to be there until 8:30 really. Best be safe though

My bad could have sworn there was no location in there when I posted! Can't beat a bit of breakfast pints may as well take advantage of the opportunity! I would still be aiming to be there by 8 so you have plenty of time in case something stalls you and if not there is plenty of time for an extra drink or a second helping of sausages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

^^ I thought you were referring to the flight destination as having to do US immigration etc. can add another hour or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's not a long haul so don't need to be there until 8:30 really. Best be safe though

5 to 9am is probably the busiest time of day in the airport. Even with fast track security one hour before flight time is risking missing your flight. Also if you're flying from T1 beware delays being dropped off as the road in front of the terminal is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,721 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The first wave of shorthaul flights will have been long gone, and the airport actually calms down a lot after them.

I'd suggest that you need to be at the airport 90 minutes beforehand in these circumstances which would mean being there no later than 08:00.

I'd allow about 45 minutes to get there by taxi (going via Templeogue and the M50), so if you leave at 07:15 you will be fine.

Alternatively, you can take the 06:20 or 06:40 departures on Dublin Bus route 16, which will pass through Terenure Village at about 06:30 and 06:50, and which will get you to the airport for roughly 07:30 and 07:55 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

lxflyer wrote: »
    The first wave of shorthaul flights will have been long gone, and the airport actually calms down a lot after them.

I'd suggest that you need to be at the airport 90 minutes beforehand in these circumstances which would mean being there no later than 08:00.

I'd allow about 45 minutes to get there by taxi (going via Templeogue and the M50), so if you leave at 07:15 you will be fine.

Alternatively, you can take the 06:20 or 06:40 departures on Dublin Bus route 16, which will pass through Terenure Village at about 06:30 and 06:50, and which will get you to the airport for roughly 07:30 and 07:55 respectively.

Very informative thanks!

cheers for your thoughts everybody I will aim to get there for 8. Thanks

Very informative thanks!

cheers for your thoughts everybody I will aim to get there for 8. Thanks

Have a fun trip not too many breakfast pints!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Flight at 930.
    Checking 2 hours before , so 730.
    Take a taxi and get him to cut up onto the M50.
    Youll pay the toll but if you leave at 630(for safety) it's the quickest option.

Don't forget to check in online.

If you want a quick clearance at security, use airport genie for I think 6.95. Security is busy that time of the morning.

What's airport genie? Just googled it and found dead links to a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That's probably because its now called Fast Track.

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/Dublin-Airport-Travel-Services/Fast-Track.aspx#

Basically, you cough up 5.95 & you get to bypass the queues at the boarding pass check point, as you enter the luggage screening area via the Fast Track Lane.

It was a service where you paid €5.95 and you got through security faster and a few other things. Think they stopped it not so long ago or at least stopped using that name for it there is fast track now but I think thats just once you get airside.

Dam timing!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

lxflyer wrote:

Hijacking the thread slightly here. Got a 7am flight Saturday morning, I'm assuming this is within the busiest wave and security queues will be around their longest then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Great minds think alike. :D

Btw OP, if you are thinking of buying a Fast Track Pass, it just gets you past the queue for the first check point, where they inspect your boarding pass and photo ID. This gets you into the security screening area quicker. Once you are there, you still have to queue up and take your shoes/belts/coats etc off & have your hand luggage screened, just like every one else. So the FT pass won't eliminate all the queuing & waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,721 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Hijacking the thread slightly here. Got a 7am flight Saturday morning, I'm assuming this is within the busiest wave and security queues will be around their longest then?

Yes it is.

The first wave is gone by about 07:30.

A flight around 09:00 is always a good time to fly as security is usually a doddle.

In your case I'd allow a minimum of 2 hours prior to the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's probably because its now called Fast Track.

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/Dublin-Airport-Travel-Services/Fast-Track.aspx#

Basically, you cough up 5.95 & you get to bypass the queues at the boarding pass check point, as you enter the luggage screening area via the Fast Track Lane.

Thanks. They also do a concierge service which I use when my wife is travelling with 2 young kids.its €40 but worth it.

Advertisement