Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Requirement

Options
  • 11-10-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

I was looking at a position in a ETB and there was a requirement to speak Irish.

Would this be unusual, what sort of test would be used. There was a similar requirement in the Institutes of Technology but it was abandoned about 15 years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 oneright

Usually when a ETB require Irish, it's for a School that teaches through Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

This is for a management position that is not attached to a particular school. Although there would be a gaeltacht area in the ETB.

I would have thought this would not be allowed, free movement of labour wtc.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

dingding wrote: »
    This is for a management position that is not attached to a particular school. Although there would be a gaeltacht area in the ETB.

I would have thought this would not be allowed, free movement of labour wtc.....

It's Ireland. Gaeltachts incur special privileges and exceptions. All part of keeping the fiction going. When I get my job with the VEC, as it then was, I had to have the Ceard Teastais, a qualification in written and spoken Irish because there's a Gaeltacht in the county I teach in. I have never had to use a word of Irish in my thirty five years teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

dingding wrote: »

Assuming your management position would require you to deal with schools in that Gaeltacht area from time to time, do you expect them to have to abandon their ethos and their day to day language to facilitate you? I would think free movement of labour doesn't excuse you from job requirements.

Advertisement